OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Think there just may be a few little tweaks to the WM next year. ;)

IMG_1708.jpeg

As you said this entirely predictable.

Entirely.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup, encouraging drinking, loud behaviour and boisterous yelling. Who knew this was coming.;) People simply can't control themselves and a few always wreck it for the rest. Inevitable.

And.....what an incredible performance and comeback by Nick Taylor. Saw this on a few of the screens in the bar in Bucerious alongside the other ones showing the other Taylor.
I mean everyone that attends the tourney and plays in it knows it's coming.

There is a reason it's one of if not the most attended events on the golf tour.

Making restrictions might actually hurt the tourney going forward. Just let the guys have their one event a year

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The one and only. Seen him several times here. But much different music now and his folk stuff with Alison Krauss is pretty good. This probably sells out quickly.
Who in their right mind back in 1969 would have ever thought Robert Freaking Plant would be headlining a Folkfest later in his career? What's next, Ozzie producing the full Pentecostal Gospel Hour?

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Who in their right mind back in 1969 would have ever thought Robert Freaking Plant would be headlining a Folkfest later in his career? What's next, Ozzie producing the full Pentecostal Gospel Hour?
Well to be honest he was a folk singer prior to being recruited by Jimmy Page.

On the other hand, I would of loved to have seen zep play @ kinseman back then.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Much of the 60's English wave of musicians, they were into Folk, Blues, various different forms. Led Zep itself were primarily a Blues band and Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were both accomplished studio musicians recording on a lot of tracks and anything from Blues, Folk, Pop etc. They could play any musical form as a lot of the artists of the time could.

Even Black Sabbath had been more of a blues act.

Basically all the Brit rockers grew up on Blues and Folk sprinkled in with some Early rockers.

Not weird either that Woodstock at the time was mixes of Blues, Rock, Folk, Funk. All the forms were still evolving and with a lot of the musicians dabbling in all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well to be honest he was a folk singer prior to being recruited by Jimmy Page.

On the other hand, I would of loved to have seen zep play @ kinseman back then.
Zep also played at the Edmonton Gardens.

Oddly they played Edmonton twce in the one year and then never again getting too big for such locales.

1969 They played Toronto 4 times, Vancouver twice, Edmonton twice, Kitchener, Thats it.

1970 They played Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa

1971 Toronto, Vancouver

72 Only Montreal

73 Vancouver. Pacific Coliseum was lucky enough to get the quintessential Song Remains the Same tour and similar setlist. The band at its peak. The Vancouver show was just a week before the 3 date stand at MSG in NY that comprise the SRTS recordings. THAT would be the concert to see.

1974 No tour as the band after 5yrs of frenetic touring decided they would tour only every 2nd yr thereafter.

1975 Montreal, then later two shows in Pacific Coliseum Vancouver. The last time, tragically, that Led Zep played in Canada.

1977 No shows in Canada and the band seldom performed live thereafter.

Setlist fm is such a fascinating and comprehensive resource. The most detailed concert listings of many artists I've seen.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
My wife and I were walking through the local mall today and a man with his two kids walked by. The kids were in the 5-7 range, both boys. What made this interesting was all three had long full mullets. We're talking Jaromir Jagr vintage here. I thought I had gone back in time for a moment.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My wife and I were walking through the local mall today and a man with his two kids walked by. The kids were in the 5-7 range, both boys. What made this interesting was all three had long full mullets. We're talking Jaromir Jagr vintage here. I thought I had gone back in time for a moment.
Flames fans on vacation. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Did they have all of their teeth?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Another airBnB disaster

Rent out your secluded home to complete strangers. Leave all valuables laying around. What could possibly go wrong. They ripped TV's right off the wall, took everything they could for days, trucks driving in and out of there. The place surrounded by trees providing complete cover for what was going on.

What a disaster this model is and 100's to 1000's of cases gone horribly wrong are confirming. More jurisdictions should just be shutting down this practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

"Other companies doing similar work are farther along in the research process – for example, one firm called Synchron has been enrolling and implanting people in its trial since 2021."

"Sychron said earlier this year that early human testers of its brain implant device, all of whom previously suffered from “severe paralysis,” were able to use the device to control a personal computing device for “for routine digital activities” such as texting, emailing and online shopping
."

Their hope of restoring vision, motor functions, speech, etc. is amazing.

The one glaring issue is hackers. Both at the programming level and actually having your mind hacked by some bridge-dwelling denizen.

1708518290082.png

1708518258028.png

:)

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Another airBnB disaster

Rent out your secluded home to complete strangers. Leave all valuables laying around. What could possibly go wrong. They ripped TV's right off the wall, took everything they could for days, trucks driving in and out of there. The place surrounded by trees providing complete cover for what was going on.

What a disaster this model is and 100's to 1000's of cases gone horribly wrong are confirming. More jurisdictions should just be shutting down this practice.

Yeah. We know you don’t like vacation rentals. You’ve been complaining about ‘the model’ for years. Even once (laughably) claiming that such properties couldn’t be insured and were typically left high and dry by the platform if anything went wrong.

It’s sad that we live in a society where people don’t respect the property rights of others. And you are probably correct that there are 100s, if not 1000s, of cases of owners getting ripped off in some way. However there are hundreds of thousands of cases of perfectly good experiences and satisfied parties on both sides of the transaction.

Seems strange that you would be calling for government intervention in a way that would stifle the free market, limit options for vacationers and leave hotels free to jack up their prices without fear of any competition. I could speculate as to the real reasons why you are so vocal about ‘this model’, but that would probably be impolite so I won’t.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Another airBnB disaster

Hate to say it, but some people are so stupid or clued out and naive, this is inevitable to happen to them. Leaving personal documents around and available is incredibly dumb. And I wonder what kind of references were collected and followed up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad