Player Discussion Ondrej Kase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Kase actually has great hands and is excellent on penalty shots and breakaways, but he really is more of the guy to dig the puck out of the corners and dish to his teammates than a floater like Mathews who just sits in the slot all day but actually scores goals.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It’s too bad he’s not scoring because i think his play has been quite good. Skating strong and hard and fighting through bodies with and without the puck.

If i trusted Krejci to gel with another RW i would suggest moving Kase up. Maybe if/when Pastrnak returns they can swap spots when the top line inevitably runs dry

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I wonder if the lack of scoring goes back to his shoulder injury/surgery last year. He'd been a 13% shooter the prior two years, and then it bottomed out this year. If I remember correctly, it usually takes a while for the shot to come around after shoulder surgery.

Bjork's never been much of a shooter, but I wonder if it's the same situation with him.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It’s too bad he’s not scoring because i think his play has been quite good. Skating strong and hard and fighting through bodies with and without the puck.

If i trusted Krejci to gel with another RW i would suggest moving Kase up. Maybe if/when Pastrnak returns they can swap spots when the top line inevitably runs dry

I'm ok with the zero goals because he's still setting guys up and has 3 assist. He's 3rd in ixG and 2nd in iSCF, so he's getting good looks and it's a matter of time before they start going in. One thing that concerns me with his history is he's taken 11 hits this series which is the 3rd highest on the team.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Love his speed and his hands, it is only a matter of time before the goals start going in for him.

Also finally it is great to have a 2nd line that is producing, hopefully Kase, Debrusk and Krejci keep it up, they are fun to watch.

Krejci's knowledge of the game, Kases speed and hands, and Debrusks willingness to go to the front of the net and youthful drive, I love it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Both he and Pasta are only 24. Nice young, one-two punch for the Bruins on the right side, as long as they can stay healthy (fingers crossed ).

I still stand by my Pasta-lite comparison, but I wish he could finish. His vision is pretty damn good and he's showing off a passing game that I didn't think he had. He's looking great out there now that he's got some game-time reps in with Krejci and DeBrusk.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Kase keeps impressing me.

Same. I think the goals will come, hopefully soon. But if they don't, then as long as he's reinvigorating Krejci, setting up DeBrusk and continuing to make the great passes and effort plays on the puck we've seen so far, then he'll be doing quite enough to make him a worthwhile investment and a key part of our 2nd line. After his rocky start, he's been one of the most enjoyable aspects of the playoffs thus far.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
So happy he came in and solidified the 2nd line between the other guys. Krech is enjoying the game and is healthy and dominating and Jake has a guy that can skate with him. Same age as Pasta, he will only get better with more time in the system.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Love his speed and his hands, it is only a matter of time before the goals start going in for him.

Also finally it is great to have a 2nd line that is producing, hopefully Kase, Debrusk and Krejci keep it up, they are fun to watch.

Krejci's knowledge of the game, Kases speed and hands, and Debrusks willingness to go to the front of the net and youthful drive, I love it.

He let go a one-timer from just inside the blueline last night that if he wasn't so far out, would of been a excellent scoring chance because he got all of it, so he can shoot. Hopefully we'll see it more as his confidence and comfort level with the team/linemates grows.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
this is probably the guy I was most worried about before they resumed play. Hadn't really had time to gel with his teammates before the stoppage, then had the false starts coming back & didn't get to practice or play with the team much. I had kinda written him off as a guy who wouldn't start to click until he had a full training camp under his belt. I'm really happy and pleasantly surprised with how it's all coming together for him. I also continue to be impressed with how tenacious he is given that at the time of the trade you had people arguing that because he had fewer hits than Heinen then he must be soft.

In hindsight though it makes a lot of sense that he's finding his game now, because the issue with him all along was health and at his age it makes sense that the extra rest helped distance himself from his past injuries.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Haven’t been able to catch a lot of this series... but how have kase and Ritchie looked?
Just casually reading this page it looks like kase has found his footing, I still think you guys will like him a lot if you don’t already.... lot of fun to watch, plays hard and with a lot of skill. Injuries have always been his downfall, and he seems to have a magnet for getting rocked with his head down m.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I'm ok with the zero goals because he's still setting guys up and has 3 assist. He's 3rd in ixG and 2nd in iSCF, so he's getting good looks and it's a matter of time before they start going in. One thing that concerns me with his history is he's taken 11 hits this series which is the 3rd highest on the team.

I think it was game 3 or 4, he hit a Canes player and they kept finishing hits on him. Must have been 4-5 hits in one period.
Guess it's good he's not afraid to be hit though

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
kase looks great. he is smart and creates a lot of offense. my one knock is he isnt very strong. he is very young still though he has lots of time to get stronger. this trade is looking good at this point

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Some still seemed underwhelmed with him. I assume because he hasnt found the twine yet.

But Im beyond excited for him. Maybe my expectations were lower heading in but he has well exceeded them and I dont think we've seen his best yet.

Hes a smaller guy and has taken some BIG hits but he isnt afraid to get in the corners and he often wins the puck. And as mightily impressive DK46 has been thus far in the bubble, Kase has helped take this second line to the next level and they are now far more relevant 5 on 5. Far more dangerous now.

The chemistry is going to continue to build with Krejci and DeBrusk as well and I cant wait. Less we forget he has 12 games TOTAL with this Bruins team. Even less than that on this second line and yet has 4 assists in 6 games during the Bubble play.

Exciting.

Reactions: Over the volcano

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Some still seemed underwhelmed with him. I assume because he hasnt found the twine yet.

But Im beyond excited for him. Maybe my expectations were lower heading in but he has well exceeded them and I dont think we've seen his best yet.

Hes a smaller guy and has taken some BIG hits but he isnt afraid to get in the corners and he often wins the puck. And as mightily impressive DK46 has been thus far in the bubble, Kase has helped take this second line to the next level and they are now far more relevant 5 on 5. Far more dangerous now.

The chemistry is going to continue to build with Krejci and DeBrusk as well and I cant wait. Less we forget he has 12 games TOTAL with this Bruins team. Even less than that on this second line and yet has 4 assists in 6 games during the Bubble play.

Exciting.

I've been very pleased with his game so far. The goals will come for him and when they do he's going to be an even bigger threat. I took a look at some of his numbers from the Carolina series and where they ranked among the rest of Bruins forwards at even strength:

Pts - 3 (2nd)
SOG - 12 (2nd)
ixG - 0.97 (3rd)
iCF - 24 - (2nd)
iSCF - 14 (2nd)
iHDCF - 4 (3rd)
Hits - 3 (11th)
Blks - 4 (2nd)

Reactions: JCRO

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Very disappointed in what Kase had to offer in these playoffs. He tries and is OK, but I don't think he's anything more than a 3rd liner. Although, I'm not sure he really fits there, either. His hockey sense at the NHL level is not very high, which is why we will likely see him on IR more often than not. He gets lit up consistently.

He was the only top 9 Bruins forward with no goals in the 10 playoff games. That stung pretty badly.

Sweeney's deadline deals really went up in smoke this season.

False Start

May 8, 2018
He looked so good vs Carolina.

He looked lost in the headlights vs Tampa, maybe they played him too hard and he got hurt/rattled.

Either way he has potential and i'd rather have him than not have him at this point.

Reactions: CDJ

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I have been surprise at how much often he got hit without having any clue it was coming. So if the same applies to read and anticipating the play, i am not sure he knows fast enough what will come. Same seem to apply to Jake Debrusk. There are good players, not sur their iQ are higher than average.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Next season should give us a fair read on what kind of player Kase is for the Bruins. HIs career here has gotten off to a unorthodox start to say the least. A full training camp, a consistent set of linemates over 15-20 regular season games provided he stays healthy) and then we'll know if we have a player or not.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad