Player Discussion Ondrej Kase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What’s his deal right now? He’s not with the team, didn’t travel with them. Just delayed testing?
David Pastrnak is with Bruins in Toronto and expected to practice - The Boston Globe

Ondrej Kase, was deemed unfit to make the trip and, according to coach Bruce Cassidy, will join his Black-and-Gold brethren at a later date.

“We were short one guy,” noted Cassidy, confirming that both Pastrnak and Nick Ritchie made the flight to the hub away from the Hub. “Ondrej was not on the plane.”

Per the NHL’s return-to-play regulations negotiated in May, Kase faces a four-day quarantine in Toronto before he is eligible to join in practices or games. It’s safe to rule him out of Thursday’s exhibition game vs. the Blue Jackets.

The Bruins, in keeping with league policy, have not revealed health conditions of their players since practices resumed July 13. Pastrnak’s agent confirmed nearly two weeks ago that his client was placed in quarantine, presumably a 10-day stint that began July 15 or 16.

It’s likely that Kase, a close pal of Pastrnak’s, also has been in quarantine, and may not have passed his COVID-19 test Sunday morning, when the club’s traveling party of 50-plus was expected to be tested prior to the flight.

Reactions: mar2kbos

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Ritchie or Kase?

I'm giving Kase some leeway considering he was coming off some significant injuries. I want to see him play some regular minutes / injury free before declaring "bust".

btw I haven't read anywhere recent he's out of shape ... IMO all players coming in from Covid break are in the same boat/shape.

I hope both players help the bruins...Each bring something unique missing from the bruins.

Referring to Ritchie per conditioning and motivation. These observations are not mine; Kirk Luedeke and others have noted his slow out of the box proclivities.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Definitely happy with the trade that brought Kase here. That being said he had yet to look any better (actually looked worse) than our previous options. I’m a little concerned that at the deadline we added two huge question marks instead of a more proven commodity.

As much as I respect David Backes, ridding the team of his contract was the priority. I am interested to see what, if anything, can be extruded from Mr. Ritchie, who is still only 24 years old.

I am less convinced that Kase will add up to anything. This is likely unfair but that's how I feel about it. Happy to be proven wrong.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Definitely happy with the trade that brought Kase here. That being said he had yet to look any better (actually looked worse) than our previous options. I’m a little concerned that at the deadline we added two huge question marks instead of a more proven commodity.

In fairness I'm guessing management was hoping they would get a chance to gel before Covid washed everything out. IDK, I haven't been impressed with either but we need to give them a fair chance.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
As much as I respect David Backes, ridding the team of his contract was the priority. I am interested to see what, if anything, can be extruded from Mr. Ritchie, who is still only 24 years old.

I am less convinced that Kase will add up to anything. This is likely unfair but that's how I feel about it. Happy to be proven wrong.

Ritchie's career numbers are roughly the same as Kase....and Ritchie has played 90 more games. His career P/GP is better than his brother Brett by 0.16 P/GP or roughly 13 points over 82 games.

So for his career Nick is slightly better than his brother who is now an AHLer. Id love for Nick to prove me wrong, but seeing as Nick isn't a guy thats in the greatest shape, I'm not holding my breath.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I may have missed your earlier posts, but what is it about Kase that has you convinced that he won't amount to anything with the Bruins? Is it his injury history? If so, then I agree that there's a huge question as to whether he can stay healthy enough to contribute. From an actual production standpoint, I don't know if you can question his abilities. In the two years prior to this one, he was on a 50 pts per 82 game pace. This year that dropped to 0.47. However, his assists basically stayed the same. The main difference is that his shooting percentage dropped to 5.2%, down 12.9% the two previous seasons. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt he's not going to continue to be a 5% shooter, and that he'll average somewhere between his career average of 9.5% and the 12.9% he averaged the past two years, which would put him right around league average.

I thinkthere are a lot of people judging him based on the 6 games he played with the Bruins, and I get that only registering 1 assist is disappointing, but I seem to remember someone saying that it takes him some time to get comfortable with new surroundings. At a minimum, I liked the energy he provided. The worst case scenario is that he's never healthy enough to play, but his cap his is only $2.6M so there's no harm if he's only a 3rd line winger.

As for the trade, the general consensus was that the Bruins got a good deal. Most assumed that it would cost a 1st just to move Backes, and even if you believe that retaining $1.5M of Backes' cap hit would lower the cost to a 2nd, then you essentially traded Axel Andersson and whatever the difference between a 1st and a 2nd is for Kase, which is a deal I'd assume almost every one of us would have made.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I may have missed your earlier posts, but what is it about Kase that has you convinced that he won't amount to anything with the Bruins? Is it his injury history? If so, then I agree that there's a huge question as to whether he can stay healthy enough to contribute. From an actual production standpoint, I don't know if you can question his abilities. In the two years prior to this one, he was on a 50 pts per 82 game pace. This year that dropped to 0.47. However, his assists basically stayed the same. The main difference is that his shooting percentage dropped to 5.2%, down 12.9% the two previous seasons. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt he's not going to continue to be a 5% shooter, and that he'll average somewhere between his career average of 9.5% and the 12.9% he averaged the past two years, which would put him right around league average.

I thinkthere are a lot of people judging him based on the 6 games he played with the Bruins, and I get that only registering 1 assist is disappointing, but I seem to remember someone saying that it takes him some time to get comfortable with new surroundings. At a minimum, I liked the energy he provided. The worst case scenario is that he's never healthy enough to play, but his cap his is only $2.6M so there's no harm if he's only a 3rd line winger.

As for the trade, the general consensus was that the Bruins got a good deal. Most assumed that it would cost a 1st just to move Backes, and even if you believe that retaining $1.5M of Backes' cap hit would lower the cost to a 2nd, then you essentially traded Axel Andersson and whatever the difference between a 1st and a 2nd is for Kase, which is a deal I'd assume almost every one of us would have made.

I agree that moving David's contract was the main goal, and that the Bruins did well in doing so while picking up two potentially helpful players.

With Kase, for me, you're right: his injury history and blah debut with the Bruins are the reasons I suggest he may be JAG. Then, like Ritchie, he shows up "unfit to play." Not encouraging.

I tend to trust my intuition when it comes to various players, what they can bring and what they can't. Nor am I a stats/corsi guy.

Again, I'm happy to be wrong. It's just a feeling.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I agree that moving David's contract was the main goal, and that the Bruins did well in doing so while picking up two potentially helpful players.

With Kase, for me, you're right: his injury history and blah debut with the Bruins are the reasons I suggest he may be JAG. Then, like Ritchie, he shows up "unfit to play." Not encouraging.

I tend to trust my intuition when it comes to various players, what they can bring and what they can't. Nor am I a stats/corsi guy.

Again, I'm happy to be wrong. It's just a feeling.

Ritchie turned up to camp ready to go and was initially training well with the team as far as you could tell from what was shown to the media and public. Clearly he got injured sometime during the 2nd week. Who knows if it was due to bad conditioning or just bad luck? But I don't think it's fair to just assume he was 'unfit'. Hopefully he recovers soon and we get to see what he can do in a playoff environment.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So I haven't been following the rumor and innuendo close enough, someone give me the ELI5 on why he's not fit. Was he also involved in the Malden practice with Pasta and didn't complete quarantine while Pasta did? Or is it something else?

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Ritchie turned up to camp ready to go and was initially training well with the team as far as you could tell from what was shown to the media and public. Clearly he got injured sometime during the 2nd week. Who knows if it was due to bad conditioning or just bad luck? But I don't think it's fair to just assume he was 'unfit'. Hopefully he recovers soon and we get to see what he can do in a playoff environment.

Fine.

I think the trajectory around both of these players has been murky.

We shall see.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Fine.

I think the trajectory around both of these players has been murky.

We shall see.

We shall. I certainly wasn't convinced by what I saw of Ritchie before the season suspension. He looked ok, did a few good things, but seemed to struggle a bit to keep up with the quicker tempo the Bruins play compared to the Ducks. But it was a small sample and I think it's only fair he's given a proper chance to earn his place in our best 12. Obviously now isn't really the best time to be doing that, but that's down to circumstances beyond his control.

Same goes for Kase. Different scenario to Ritchie, in that his current absence is at least partially self-inflicted. But if he does eventually get to Toronto, or even if it ends up being next season, then he deserves a decent opportunity to prove his worth to Boston.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
We shall. I certainly wasn't convinced by what I saw of Ritchie before the season suspension. He looked ok, did a few good things, but seemed to struggle a bit to keep up with the quicker tempo the Bruins play compared to the Ducks. But it was a small sample and I think it's only fair he's given a proper chance to earn his place in our best 12. Obviously now isn't really the best time to be doing that, but that's down to circumstances beyond his control.

Same goes for Kase. Different scenario to Ritchie, in that his current absence is at least partially self-inflicted. But if he does eventually get to Toronto, or even if it ends up being next season, then he deserves a decent opportunity to prove his worth to Boston.

Fair points all. I would say, both must prove themselves, sooner than later in my reckoning. At present. the Bruins can't afford "long looks" with either, given the stakes.

I frankly, unfairly, don't see much in either player. Again, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Fair points all. I would say, both must prove themselves, sooner than later in my reckoning. At present. the Bruins can't afford "long looks" with either, given the stakes.

I frankly, unfairly, don't see much in either player. Again, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Going to be interesting to see if either are inserted into the line up should the existing line up succeed.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Interesting to see the Kase and Bjork threads next to each other - a lot of similarities for these two.

Both late picks from 2014 draft

Both sidelined multiple time in their development because of injury

Both on team friendly deals

Both expected to compete/takeover the 2nd line wing

Kase has shown more offensive potential and production

Bjork thread is mostly positive - Kase negative

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Interesting to see the Kase and Bjork threads next to each other - a lot of similarities for these two.

Both late picks from 2014 draft

Both sidelined multiple time in their development because of injury

Both on team friendly deals

Kase has shown more offensive potential and production

Bjork thread is mostly positive - Kase negative

Ya its kind odd TBH. Maybe because Bjork is a homegrown kid or maybe because Kase was acquired with the intent to be a #2RW and with everything that has happened, people soured on him. I don't get it personally as both are solid players.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Ya its kind odd TBH. Maybe because Bjork is a homegrown kid or maybe because Kase was acquired with the intent to be a #2RW and with everything that has happened, people soured on him. I don't get it personally as both are solid players.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Expectations were set waaaaaaay too high for Kase by many. People need to remember that he was apart of a deal that got rid of currently one of the worst contracts in the NHL. He joined the team at the TDL and many expected to see a spark immediately. Which even for a kid that has shown some offensive flare in his young career that is a difficult thing to do. Let alone in a top 6 role.

And he didnt even get the 16-18 ish games to try and get chemistry with his new teammates. He has played 6 games then BOOM Covid. And an injury during that short stint if I recall correctly?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So I haven't been following the rumor and innuendo close enough, someone give me the ELI5 on why he's not fit. Was he also involved in the Malden practice with Pasta and didn't complete quarantine while Pasta did? Or is it something else?

He was involved in that Malden practice. I would guess Pasta passed the necessary testing and Kase didn't. I think that's the easiest assumption, considering they seemed to be doing everything as a pair once they got back to Boston. The difference could be as simple as Pasta got lucky and Kase didn't. Sweeney did say yesterday that he expected Kase to join the team "in short order," so we'll see.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Expectations were set waaaaaaay too high for Kase by many. People need to remember that he was apart of a deal that got rid of currently one of the worst contracts in the NHL. He joined the team at the TDL and many expected to see a spark immediately. Which even for a kid that has shown some offensive flare in his young career that is a difficult thing to do. Let alone in a top 6 role.

And he didnt even get the 16-18 ish games to try and get chemistry with his new teammates. He has played 6 games then BOOM Covid. And an injury during that short stint if I recall correctly?

Yes, he was recovering from a concussion. I didn't place high expectations on him, because I didn't have any. To assume Kase would earn, or be handed, a top six role, is assuming a great deal.

JoeyBananas

Aug 24, 2018
Kase was basically a throw in on the Backes deal. Way too many fans expected him to come in and be the answer on the 2nd line. He's barely a 3rd liner that's soft, injury prone, and pretty one dimensional. I have low expectations for him, and I'd be surprised if we even see him play in the playoffs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Kase, also still only 24 years old, scored 20 in 66 games. And then 11 in 30. This year he only has 7 goals, but he is also shooting under 5% when his career average is closer to 10%. Obviously the injuries are worrisome. But when he has been on the ice he has been a guy who scores at a 20+ goal pace with no power play time while providing good defense and good skating. Sounds like a solid 2nd line winger to me. If he can stay healthy.

Like you, I am intrigued by Ritchie. He has the mean streak that his brother lacks. But he needs to get his skating and stamina up. If he can pull it together he can be a steal and a half... but Kase has shown more at this point in their careers.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Kase, also still only 24 years old, scored 20 in 66 games. And then 11 in 30. This year he only has 7 goals, but he is also shooting under 5% when his career average is closer to 10%. Obviously the injuries are worrisome. But when he has been on the ice he has been a guy who scores at a 20+ goal pace with no power play time while providing good defense and good skating. Sounds like a solid 2nd line winger to me. If he can stay healthy.

Like you, I am intrigued by Ritchie. He has the mean streak that his brother lacks. But he needs to get his skating and stamina up. If he can pull it together he can be a steal and a half... but Kase has shown more at this point in their careers.

I agree, the potential is there. Probably the concern is he's really only had that one year where he's put together something close to a full, solid season and racked up consistent points. There have been flashes outside of that, but not much substantial. Yes a lot of that has been down to injuries, as noted, but it leaves a lot unknown. Boston's banking on that one good year being something he can consistently replicate and hopefully even exceed with the right support and good health, rather than it being a flash in the pan.

As it is, I think there's still no doubt whatsoever that he can at least be a serviceable 3rd liner. Problem is that's not what the Bruins are at least perceived to need, or what we've all been clamouring for for the longest time. So there's a level of probably unfair pressure there. But we're just going to have to wait and see, which I think has also been Sweeney's position all along - he was never traded in as being the 'solution', but as a guy who we simply hoped could make a solid contribution to our secondary scoring, however exactly it turned out he was best able to do that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Thanks for the post.

We shall see.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I had the same mindset prior to watching last nights game . Who in the bottom 6 last night really left a good impression? Maybe Kuhlman ? I thought he played well. But if last nights game was any indication the Bruins need to see what they have in Ritchie and Kase to get the two best candidates in there .

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I had the same mindset prior to watching last nights game . Who in the bottom 6 last night really left a good impression? Maybe Kuhlman ? I thought he played well. But if last nights game was any indication the Bruins need to see what they have in Ritchie and Kase to get the two best candidates in there .

Absoluey. Just wonder what you're going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad