Player Discussion Ondrej Kase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I didn't hate Heinen, but he wasn't particularly impressive puck possession player. Kase on the other hand has always been an analytics darling. He's always been a guy who probably is a lot better than his box score shows. This season might be a write-off for him due to all the setbacks, but if he remains injury free he could prove to be an excellent player.
Um, I’m pretty sure Heinen was amongst the top possession players in the league, let alone the Bruins. The problem with heinen is that he couldn’t score a point to save his life, but he was the definition of an impressive possession player.

Danton Heinen’s value to Bruins more than goals, assists – Boston Herald

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I'll eat my hat -- and I have one -- if Kase is anything more than JAG.

I don't see it.

Ritchie had better ramp it up, btw. If he's out of shape or unwilling to compete, he's going to hear about it. From his teammates as well as fans.

I'll give the latter a chance.

Reed Duthie is a bog supporter of the guy and that's good enough for me to wait and see what he can do when he can string 15-20 games together.

Also, many of the Ducks fans seemed to like him, though they were pretty concerned about his injury propensity.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Um, I’m pretty sure Heinen was amongst the top possession players in the league, let alone the Bruins. The problem with heinen is that he couldn’t score a point to save his life, but he was the definition of an impressive possession player.

Danton Heinen’s value to Bruins more than goals, assists – Boston Herald

The article is specifically referencing last year's playoff run when Heinen indeed had solid CF%. Generally speaking though, he was bang on average compared to the rest of the Bruins roster in 2017-2020. It's not that Heinen was a bad puck possession player, he just didn't really stand out in a larger sample size. Kase on the other hand had far and away the best puck possession numbers on the Ducks roster in the same time period.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: Over the volcano

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Gave up one of their best possession players in Heinen and ended up with a guy that played roller hockey with Sully and McMahon instead of the playoffs

Heinen is and was irrelevant. Even more so last playoffs.

Kase had potential issues from the time of the trade because of health anyways. Ritchie is the one who I expect to make an impact.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
The article is specifically referencing last year's playoff run when Heinen indeed had solid CF%. Generally speaking though, he was bang on average compared to the rest of the Bruins roster in 2017-2020. It's not that Heinen was a bad puck possession player, he just didn't really stand out in a larger sample size. Kase on the other hand had far and away the best puck possession numbers on the Ducks roster in the same time period.

Ok thanks. I’m not a big advanced stat guy so don’t know how to read it. I just remember everyone saying how good he was away from the puck etc when all I saw was blah.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
No - 3rd line. He definitely has more talent than the Wagner/Nordstrom/Lindholm in addition to his natural size and toughness.

You said your expectation is for him to cycle and play tough. That's what I expect out of a 4th liner. I'd like my 3rd liners to contribute offensively...which I'm not sure Ritchie will do much of. Then again Im not as enamored with Ritchie because of his size like others are.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reed Duthie is a bog supporter of the guy and that's good enough for me to wait and see what he can do when he can string 15-20 games together.

Also, many of the Ducks fans seemed to like him, though they were pretty concerned about his injury propensity.

Well, okay. We'll see what happens. I just have that feeling. If I'm wrong, I'll fess to it.

Reactions: Kalus

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think your going to be disappointed

First, I believe Kase will be a bust. Just a feeling.

Second, I'm interesred to see what, if anything, Ritche can bring. He was a top ten pick.

We're going to find out soon enough. If the guy continues along an unfocused, out of shape path, he'll be gone. As young as he is, if he can't muster the motivation necessary to succeed in the NHL with this team, he can't muster the motivation anywhere.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Second, I'm interesred to see what, if anything, Ritche can bring. He was a top ten pick.

We're going to find out soon enough. If the guy continues along an unfocused, out of shape path, he'll be gone. As young as he is, if he can't muster the motivation necessary to succeed in the NHL with this team, he can't muster the motivation anywhere.

Interestingly enough, both guys were drafted in 2014 with Ritchie being the Ducks first pick and Kase their last pick:

PlayerDraftedGPGoalsAsssistPointsG/GPA/GPP/GPPTS Pace
Ritchie10th29444671110.150.230.3831
Kase205th2044354970.210.260.4839
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kase in 90 less games has 1 less goal and 14 less points. If I'm going to put a bust label on someone is the 10th overall pick that's putting up similar numbers to a 7th rounder from the same year. Kase at least looks like he could be a middle six guy. Ritchie looks more like a bottom 6 guy.

*edited to correct table

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Interestingly enough, both guys were drafted in 2014 with Ritchie being the Ducks first pick and Kase their last pick:

Player
Drafted
GP
Goals
Assist
A/GP
P/GP
PTS Pace
Ritchie​
10th​
294​
44​
67​
111​
0.15​
0.23​
0.38​
31​
Kase​
205th​
204​
43​
54​
97​
0.15​
0.18​
0.33​
27​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Kase in 90 less games has 1 less goal and 14 less points. If I'm going to put a bust label on someone is the 10th overall pick that's putting up similar numbers to a 7th rounder from the same year. Kase at least looks like he could be a middle six guy. Ritchie looks more like a bottom 6 guy.
Check those per game numbers. I think Kase is low.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Check those per game numbers. I think Kase is low.

Good catch, the table was pulling and calculating off the wrong GP. Here is the updated one:

Player
Drafted
GP
Goals
Asssist
A/GP
P/GP
PTS Pace
Ritchie​
10th​
294​
44​
67​
111​
0.15​
0.23​
0.38​
31​
Kase​
205th​
204​
43​
54​
97​
0.21​
0.26​
0.48​
39​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: HustleB

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Ritchie or Kase?

I'm giving Kase some leeway considering he was coming off some significant injuries. I want to see him play some regular minutes / injury free before declaring "bust".

btw I haven't read anywhere recent he's out of shape ... IMO all players coming in from Covid break are in the same boat/shape.

I hope both players help the bruins...Each bring something unique missing from the bruins.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Definitely happy with the trade that brought Kase here. That being said he had yet to look any better (actually looked worse) than our previous options. I’m a little concerned that at the deadline we added two huge question marks instead of a more proven commodity.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
What’s his deal right now? He’s not with the team, didn’t travel with them. Just delayed testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad