Player Discussion Ondrej Kase

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Such a small sample size. What little there is has not been good, but there are reasons why.

Lets not turn Kase into the next Ritchie please....

I believe we can get through one season without vilifying a member of the Bruins.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He looked like a fish out of water in those games. And that's understandable coming to a new team, but it's why this time would have been critical for practicing and developing chemistry. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kuhlman takes his spot for the playoffs, whether that's from struggling early, or just giving it to him out of the gate.

Reactions: BruinDust

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Such a small sample size. What little there is has not been good, but there are reasons why.

Lets not turn Kase into the next Ritchie please....

I believe we can get through one season without vilifying a member of the Bruins.

I actually felt a lot better about Kase then I did Ritchie. I thought Kase was quick to get in on the forecheck and be disruptive when teams where trying to breakout. He had some decent wheels and you could see some of his creativity. I think Kase will be a solid addition to the team if he stays healthy....I can't say the same for Ritchie, but I've been known to be wrong about players in the past.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I actually felt a lot better about Kase then I did Ritchie. I thought Kase was quick to get in on the forecheck and be disruptive when teams where trying to breakout. He had some decent wheels and you could see some of his creativity. I think Kase will be a solid addition to the team if he stays healthy....I can't say the same for Ritchie, but I've been known to be wrong about players in the past.
I agree with this except about creativity. Trying to remember back to those games, I remember a lot of skating around without much purpose, although you certainly couldn't knock effort. My first impression was that I could see exactly why he has an injury history because he kept putting himself in dangerous spots.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He looked like a fish out of water in those games. And that's understandable coming to a new team, but it's why this time would have been critical for practicing and developing chemistry. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kuhlman takes his spot for the playoffs, whether that's from struggling early, or just giving it to him out of the gate.

Terrible timing all around for Kase. Injured before he arrives, onto a new team with a challenging but very effective system. Then the shut-down, now being held out of practice. He's shown he can be a very good player, but this year might be a write off for him the way things are shaping up. I would assume he'll be in the line-up at the start, but he'll need to be effective, and I think that will be tough for him given the circumstances.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I agree with this except about creativity. Trying to remember back to those games, I remember a lot of skating around without much purpose, although you certainly couldn't knock effort. My first impression was that I could see exactly why he has an injury history because he kept putting himself in dangerous spots.

Ya the putting himself in dangerous spots was something I remember as well.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I can’t think of another guy in the league that has his head stretched out, low to the ice more often than Kase.

From what I remember he looked like he was trying to be involved but man, live to fight another day should be his mantra

Reactions: BMC and Trap Jesus

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I can’t think of another guy in the league that has his head stretched out, low to the ice more often than Kase.

From what I remember he looked like he was trying to be involved but man, live to fight another day should be his mantra

He needs to stand up straighter when he skates. I know that might affect his speed but if he keeps getting knocked out cold because he skates crouched over like he does it won't matter as he won't be able to play anyway.

Reactions: easton117

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
He needs to stand up straighter when he skates. I know that might affect his speed but if he keeps getting knocked out cold because he skates crouched over like he does it won't matter as he won't be able to play anyway.
I’d imagine it’s tough coming on to a good team, learning a new system, where to be, where your line mates are, etc.

Just try not to get your head picked twice a game. I know he took a dirty one vs Tampa, but from what I remember he took a few more that looked more awkward than anything

Reactions: BMC

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Both will be gone in short order ,Neither plays 100 games in Boston

Reactions: KrejciMVP

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Both will be gone in short order ,Neither plays 100 games in Boston

I am hoping you are wrong and they end up taking their game to the next level in Boston. I also wouldn’t mind seeing them flipped for a better player. Something like the Cam Neely heist and steal Boeser from our old friend Jim Benning for Kase, Ritchie and Zboril.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I am hoping you are wrong and they end up taking their game to the next level in Boston. I also wouldn’t mind seeing them flipped for a better player. Something like the Cam Neely heist and steal Boeser from our old friend Jim Benning for Kase, Ritchie and Zboril.

I don't see that happening lol. Would you take a package like that for DeBrusk?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Decided to take a look at the relative numbers for the last 6/7 games (when Ritchie/Kase joined) and compared the two players to see how they staked up at 5v5

Player
CF% Rel
SF% Rel
xGF% Rel
SCF% Rel
HDCF% Rel
Ondrej Kase
0.65​
0.27​
1.58​
4.12​
4.17​
Nick Ritchie
-3.48​
-8.08​
-6.41​
1.86​
0.17​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Kase ranked anywhere from 6th to 9th in these categories and Ritchie ranked anywhere from 9th to 12th. Now its a very small sample size obviously, but its a good sign that Kase didn't have a negative in any of these categories.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

I imagine management is pretty disappointed in him. Not only did he and Pasta make some questionable decisions regarding social distancing etc, but showing up out of shape is a really bad look.

I remember reading somewhere that they were really upset about Khudobin showing up out of shape to training camp one year and, acording to speculation, that played a part in deciding to go with Halak over him.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Gave up one of their best possession players in Heinen and ended up with a guy that played roller hockey with Sully and McMahon instead of the playoffs

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Gave up one of their best possession players in Heinen and ended up with a guy that played roller hockey with Sully and McMahon instead of the playoffs

I see you still have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever considered fact checking anything before you post?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I imagine management is pretty disappointed in him. Not only did he and Pasta make some questionable decisions regarding social distancing etc, but showing up out of shape is a really bad look.

I remember reading somewhere that they were really upset about Khudobin showing up out of shape to training camp one year and, acording to speculation, that played a part in deciding to go with Halak over him.
Hard to knock a guys conditioning when he’s coming back from a major concussion - I mean it’s not hard, it’s actually too easy.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Hard to knock a guys conditioning when he’s coming back from a major concussion - I mean it’s not hard, it’s actually too easy.

Not sure where you are coming from on that. They cleared hom to play five months ago. He came back in late February and then played six games.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Eric Lindros syndrome o_O

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Terrible timing all around for Kase. Injured before he arrives, onto a new team with a challenging but very effective system. Then the shut-down, now being held out of practice. He's shown he can be a very good player, but this year might be a write off for him the way things are shaping up. I would assume he'll be in the line-up at the start, but he'll need to be effective, and I think that will be tough for him given the circumstances.

I'll eat my hat -- and I have one -- if Kase is anything more than JAG.

I don't see it.

Ritchie had better ramp it up, btw. If he's out of shape or unwilling to compete, he's going to hear about it. From his teammates as well as fans.

I'll give the latter a chance.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX

Now he may not make the trip with team?

Kase deal...

QxQl1zi.gif

loosemoose

May 31, 2020

I didn't hate Heinen, but he wasn't particularly impressive puck possession player. Kase on the other hand has always been an analytics darling. He's always been a guy who probably is a lot better than his box score shows. This season might be a write-off for him due to all the setbacks, but if he remains injury free he could prove to be an excellent player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad