Player Discussion Ondřej Kaše Appreciation Thread

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Has #4 best Corsi rating on the team, must have a pretty high value on the main trade boards :laugh:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So far he's reminding of a better dangling, worse defensive Cogliano

Jury is still out if his offense is going to be top 6 worthy but so far so good

It also remains to be seen if he's going to have anywhere near the ability to bounce back from big hits that Cogliano has. As a small player in the league his training is going to be crotical

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He is way worse defensively than Cogliano. So far Kase has been benefitting greatly from easier matchups and pairing with Vermette, imo. So he needs more hence I`m not against that he would be sent to SD for more rounding out. It`s just we have no one better to put in his spot right now :/

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
So far he's reminding of a better dangling, worse defensive Cogliano

Jury is still out if his offense is going to be top 6 worthy but so far so good

It also remains to be seen if he's going to have anywhere near the ability to bounce back from big hits that Cogliano has. As a small player in the league his training is going to be crotical

So he's better offensively and worse defensively, physically may not be able to take as much punishment as Cogs..

then he's nothing like Cogliano lol

Poor mans Rakell?

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
So far Kase = Sekac 2.0 :dunno:

He can make dangles all night long, but he needs to find the back of the net soon. He has found the scoresheet a few times so far, but I don't recall him making any sweet primary assists that would elevate him to a poor man's Rakell just yet :naughty:

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
So far Kase = Sekac 2.0 :dunno:

He can make dangles all night long, but he needs to find the back of the net soon. He has found the scoresheet a few times so far, but I don't recall him making any sweet primary assists that would elevate him to a poor man's Rakell just yet :naughty:

This has been my thought about him too. Flashy and looks like he's about to put it all together. But until he does, I'm not sold.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
The biggest difference for me between Kase and Sekac was that Sekac played in 50 games and still didn't look anywhere near as effective as Kase. Sekac is also 24 years old, and it may have been just me, but I was never fully impressed. With Kase, I feel like we'd be singing a different tune if he potted the posts he hit.

I'm having a hard time finding a comparison for Kase, players like him are either boom or bust.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Let's not forget that Rakell also struggled scoring early on. Ritchie looks alot better this year than last as well. It takes adjustment, at least the flashes by Kase have been close and he'll get some to pot in. Next year i'll expect more, but I don't think his lack of scoring in his rookie season should be a death sentence for him.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I really think Kase has shown more offensive awareness than Sekac ever did outside of that sick saucer pass to Perry he had. Sekac would dangle but just go back and forth in the corner until he lost the puck. Kase is driving past defenders and going to the net, I don't know if Sekac ever had as good of a scoring chance as the looks Kase got against the Islanders. I'm not getting excited about him yet, but early on he's looked promising.

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
You have to be happy when you can take an NHL quality player in the 7th round any way you look at it. Seems to be adjusting at every level and progressing each and every game. Early to tell what he might turn into, but he has the makings of an effective NHL player down the line.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I really think Kase has shown more offensive awareness than Sekac ever did outside of that sick saucer pass to Perry he had. Sekac would dangle but just go back and forth in the corner until he lost the puck. Kase is driving past defenders and going to the net, I don't know if Sekac ever had as good of a scoring chance as the looks Kase got against the Islanders. I'm not getting excited about him yet, but early on he's looked promising.

Agreed. He does indeed seem less "offensively challenged" than Sekac, but I'll reserve judgment until we see some more of him.

Oct 18, 2011
He just turned 21 maybe we should give him more than 5 games before making any projections either way?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Kase is often in on hte play. That's hockey sense and awareness. Sekac never showed anything like that. He only looked good with the puck.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, I sure remember a lot of people raving about his "great hands", and the crap I got for saying there was nothing great about them if they couldn't produce results. :laugh:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kase is often in on hte play. That's hockey sense and awareness. Sekac never showed anything like that. He only looked good with the puck.

Yeah came to post the same thing. Kase has offensive instincts and hockey sense. Sekac could only really skate with the puck, outside of a couple of fluke passes he never really did anything useful with it.

Also Sekac has never produced more than 11 goals in a full year in professional hockey. Very rarely do you see guys come into the NHL that haven't produced at decent rates in lower leagues succeed in scoring roles. Kase doens't have anywhere near the same experience but in what AHL action he has been in he's been productive. He also produced decently in the Czech 2nd league given how old he was when he was playing there.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
Too soon :)

But yeah, he hasnt looked out of place.

Someone said we would be singing a different toon (and fantasy sites would too lol) if he had potted a couple goals instead of posts.

More likely than not, he doesnt have a 10 year NHL career. But if he cintinues to play well and get chances, he will he 3 years of chances no problem in the cap era.

If he can find success on either time of special teams, then he will help his chances.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
This has been my thought about him too. Flashy and looks like he's about to put it all together. But until he does, I'm not sold.

this dude is nothing at all like sekac. Sekac was never in the action, never creating anything, no creativity, etc. Kase is the other way around, im just not sure if he has the speed and skill to play like that at his size. More like a smaller but quicker rakell. Not sure if he has rakells puck skills though.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
this dude is nothing at all like sekac. Sekac was never in the action, never creating anything, no creativity, etc. Kase is the other way around, im just not sure if he has the speed and skill to play like that at his size. More like a smaller but quicker rakell. Not sure if he has rakells puck skills though.
He reminds me of a lessor skilled Jason Blake

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Sekac never won a single puck battle, he was allergic to the corner boards. Kase has already won more board battles and 50/50 pucks than Sekac did.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Sexton was also a guy with terrible positioning. He didn't even look great with the puck.

Kase may not succeed, but then he would be something like pre-improvement Bonino. At the right place, but just loses battles. Although Bonino also had a lot of "going to the right place, just too slow to be there on time."

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Sexton was also a guy with terrible positioning. He didn't even look great with the puck.

Kase may not succeed, but then he would be something like pre-improvement Bonino. At the right place, but just loses battles. Although Bonino also had a lot of "going to the right place, just too slow to be there on time."

Big Sexy was just all speed and luck. Focaccia isn't super speedy or anything, but he's in the right places. So far anyway, he's shown two things you really need to actually be a player, bravery and instincts. He's obviously too weak right now for that to matter, but there's reason to be hopeful about him.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Sekac never won a single puck battle, he was allergic to the corner boards. Kase has already won more board battles and 50/50 pucks than Sekac did.
Let's not forget that Kase is still losing most of those, but he's more than willing to get dirty in the corner to dig pucks out. A little more strength will go a long way in helping him out down there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad