Player Discussion Ondřej Kaše Appreciation Thread

Paige Duck

Magnus
May 2, 2014
Aliso Viejo, CA
He reminds me of Miro Aaltonen, at least situation wise. Both european players that probably won't cross over the pond for a few years unless they develop exceptionally well within a year.

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
I asked Corey Pronman on twitter the reason he fell down to us in the 7th and this was his response:

poor physical game, hasn't really ever had a big season.

But when you play against men's in a fourth line, can you really expect more points? Kase was amazing in WJC, this is really good pick in 7th round.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
But when you play against men's in a fourth line, can you really expect more points? Kase was amazing in WJC, this is really good pick in 7th round.

This. I also am not worried about it.

From the videos of him in U20 (still against 1-2 year older guys) he looked very good. He didn`t looked like a guy who is younger and weaker.

I`m very happy about this pick

EdwardTK

Jul 3, 2014
I still don't get it how this guy can drop this much. Rankings: McKenzie 57,
Craig Button: 49 | THN: NR | ISS: 150 | hockeyprospect.com: 80 | McKeen's: 52 | NHL CS: 8 ES.

If the reason was poor stats, i think we made huge steal. If something else, i'm still very pleased with this pick. 7th round pick and you get guy how was awesome in WJC, you cant really expect better pick.

Oct 18, 2011
i like him but i actually hope the ducks will continue rotating players in from SD to see if they can maybe find a diamond in the rough. keep trying these kids, kase, laganiere, noesen, roy, kossila etc maybe you hit on one and get some unexpected production

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I like him but he either needs to get way stronger to assert himself in puck battles or faster so that he can get possession before the battles. I like his skills but it seems like he rarely came up with the puck.

overall I really like him. Especially for such a late round pick

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's a solid player but I still don't know if he'll find a niche in the NHL. Kinda a tweener

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's 20... I think it's a bit early to determine anything, but I'm definitely intrigued by his skill set.

Sure, he;s young so that's good

But I just see a small player who's not super skilled. Maybe he becomes a Cogs, maybe he doesn't

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Sure, he;s young so that's good

But I just see a small player who's not super skilled. Maybe he becomes a Cogs, maybe he doesn't

Have you ever seen him play? Saying he is not skilled is like saying Cogs isn't fast or Kesler is not good at faceoffs. That's his biggest asset. He is definitely undersized and needs strength and to keep his head up more often. He is probably the most skilled player on the Gulls team with Roy right next to him.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Have you ever seen him play? Saying he is not skilled is like saying Cogs isn't fast or Kesler is not good at faceoffs. That's his biggest asset. He is definitely undersized and needs strength and to keep his head up more often. He is probably the most skilled player on the Gulls team with Roy right next to him.

Yes Ducks Nation, I've seen him play plenty. He has skill but he doesn't do anything great. The deficiencies in his game (size and strength) are going to be a lot more noticeable at the NHL level since he doesn't have a specialty skill.

He's young and there is plenty of room to improve though.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
He's looked ok so far, as someone above said he needs to get stronger as he's a bit weak out there right now - but he's shown some nice flashes of skill.

i like him but i actually hope the ducks will continue rotating players in from SD to see if they can maybe find a diamond in the rough. keep trying these kids, kase, laganiere, noesen, roy, kossila etc maybe you hit on one and get some unexpected production
This is the thing that excites me the most about having San Diego as our AHL team - we can call up all sorts of players for short term situations when we have some banged up players and not have to worry about a cross country flight - we should get to see plenty of these young players over the season.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
He definitely needs to bulk up a bit and his offensive skills, though showing flashes of potential, aren't enough to compensate. I really liked the pick at the time and he's certainly ascended since the draft, but he still has a ways to go before I'd be comfortable with him taking regular NHL shifts. I really like his skill-set though. He's a good prospect.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yes Ducks Nation, I've seen him play plenty. He has skill but he doesn't do anything great. The deficiencies in his game (size and strength) are going to be a lot more noticeable at the NHL level since he doesn't have a specialty skill.

He's young and there is plenty of room to improve though.

You have to remember he has a thing for Czech players. :D

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I really like this kid and see a ton of potential. He's got toughness, speed, hitting, skill and creativity. Anyone else agree he seems to be doing a lot more than Ritchie?

paine

Jun 4, 2007
I really like this kid and see a ton of potential. He's got toughness, speed, hitting, skill and creativity. Anyone else agree he seems to be doing a lot more than Ritchie?

Agree. I really like what I see -- especially last night. We'll see if it continues.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Last night yes, but that's one game against a struggling Islanders squad. I hope he keeps it up.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Rewatched the Isles game more or less, and I gotta say Kase looked really good and dangerous out there. Blackhawks will be a much more significant test tho so I look forward to that game.

In some ways he reminded me of a Cogliano with soft hands. Cogs is a far superior player of course but you get the point - small`ish but still hustles and fast.
No doubt he has a lot of rounding out to do but we might have something here.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Kase looks promising, but have we ever really heard the organization talk about him?

A lot of the other diamonds in the rough type guys get talked about a year or two before they break out. I remember the team mentioning Penner and Manson, for example. Don't really recall hearing about Kase.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Kase looks promising, but have we ever really heard the organization talk about him?

A lot of the other diamonds in the rough type guys get talked about a year or two before they break out. I remember the team mentioning Penner and Manson, for example. Don't really recall hearing about Kase.

You have to remember the time frames involved with Kase and those players. The difference with those players, like Manson, is that he took much longer to get to this point than Kase did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad