Player Discussion Ondřej Kaše Appreciation Thread

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
why are people saying he has to strengthen up? look at how big Cogliano is.

Kase has great skating ability and high i.q as many are witnessing to see him not look out of place every shift or he'd be back in San Diego last week.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

Kase has great skating ability and high i.q as many are witnessing to see him not look out of place every shift or he'd be back in San Diego last week.

Cogliano isn't very big but he's pretty strong; Kase is a twig out there. He's always in the right spots because of his IQ and skating as you said, but he's losing battles that he would have a better chance of winning if he added some strength. I think it's a fair criticism, and also one of the easiest problems to fix for a young athlete.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

Not to rehash what's already been said, but Cogliano is much stronger. Kase gets pushed around way too easily. Cogliano, though he's on the small side in stature, can push people around himself.

I really like his skillset and abilities, but he does really need to bulk up, especially since he's completely willing to go to the dirty areas and throw his body around. Nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't exactly have the strength to enforce that kind of play style effectively.

Fortunately, that's not a fatal flaw and is pretty easy to fix compared to attitude problems, lack of team play, or lack of hockey IQ (in other words, mental ability), none of which Kase struggles with.

I'm really excited for him. Just needs some more strength, especially with the style of play this team goes to work with.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
not saying Kase will be a star but it is amusing to read some of the comments back from Rakell's rookie year and compare to where he is now.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
really impressed by him so far.

kid never stops moving, and is fast as hell. seems to have great instincts to, in a good spot most shifts.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
Cogliano isn't very big but he's pretty strong; Kase is a twig out there. He's always in the right spots because of his IQ and skating as you said, but he's losing battles that he would have a better chance of winning if he added some strength. I think it's a fair criticism, and also one of the easiest problems to fix for a young athlete.

he is 20 right? may not have finished filling out yet. i'm ok giveing it a year or two and see how much weight he adds.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I thought this is interesting, even with the small sample size that needs to be taken into account.

Ritchie is the #10 overall pick in 2014 - our first pick that year
Kase is the #205 overall pick in 2014 - our last pick that year (and almost in the draft)

TOI since the last Kase callup
ORVRzgL.jpg

Both have had 3p in this stretch.
Ritchie 2+1
Kase 1+2

Both have mostly played on the same line

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I kind of hope that behind the scenes management is asking Kase to work out with Cogs. If the kid could pick up on Cogs' regimen and develop the strength Cogs has it could be great for his career and for our team. I think Cogs is something of a blueprint for what Kase could do to have a long successful career.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I kind of hope that behind the scenes management is asking Kase to work out with Cogs. If the kid could pick up on Cogs' regimen and develop the strength Cogs has it could be great for his career and for our team. I think Cogs is something of a blueprint for what Kase could do to have a long successful career.

Why does everyone compare these two? Am I missing something?

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I hope people are starting to see the palat comparison..... He backchecks like a beast and has been on the ice for defensive zone face offs at the end of game because he's a puck hound. There is not cogs comparsion.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Why does everyone compare these two? Am I missing something?
Both are feisty, undersized, hardworking players who aren't afraid to get down and dirty in the corner or in the slot, even though their playing styles and skillsets aren't all that similar.

Kase just needs to bulk up. He's playing well but he gets pushed around far too easy and for someone that does put himself in the thick of physical play in the corners and in the slot, not being strong enough is not good enough for the NHL. Cogliano is on the small side in stature but he's thick and strong. Kase is slightly undersized, but he's not strong enough to make up for it like Cogliano is.

Crosbysux

Dec 29, 2013
Both are feisty, undersized, hardworking players who aren't afraid to get down and dirty in the corner or in the slot, even though their playing styles and skillsets aren't all that similar.

Kase just needs to bulk up. He's playing well but he gets pushed around far too easy and for someone that does put himself in the thick of physical play in the corners and in the slot, not being strong enough is not good enough for the NHL. Cogliano is on the small side in stature but he's thick and strong. Kase is slightly undersized, but he's not strong enough to make up for it like Cogliano is.

He's not making up for it yet with his ability to keep the puck through a hit. What he does though, is win puck battles by his quickness. He loses the physical battle with guys, but wins the puck back a lot when said player tries to make a play with it. He needs to get stronger, but he's playing well despite his limitations.

eternalbedhead

Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
He's not making up for it yet with his ability to keep the puck through a hit. What he does though, is win puck battles by his quickness. He loses the physical battle with guys, but wins the puck back a lot when said player tries to make a play with it. He needs to get stronger, but he's playing well despite his limitations.
He's winning the puck back with his other abilities, but he gets pushed off it again rather too easily.

He's playing well given his strength, but that physical strength, especially with our style of play, is just not anywhere near up to par right now.

Can't get mad at him at all for him being willing to put himself toe to toe in the corner with some of the league's biggest heavyweights, but he's gotta bulk up if he expects to win most of those.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I hope people are starting to see the palat comparison..... He backchecks like a beast and has been on the ice for defensive zone face offs at the end of game because he's a puck hound. There is not cogs comparsion.

I still don't see it. I think Palat is much closer in style to Silf than Kase.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

You're not going to force another young player down our throat again by repeatedly offering far fetched comparisons are you?

He's probably going to be a good NHLer but the comparison to Palat is ridiculous. Back checking isn't the same as being excellent defensively which Palat is. Also Palat has hit totals Kase is unlikely to ever get close to.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think people are forgetting the most obvious similarity between Kase and Palat - their name, ONDREJ

:sarcasm:
(+nationality)

But yeah Palat is a bit more like Silf, in just that they are great defensively although their offensive games are different.
Palat is very good defensively to be compared to Kase right now.

But digging deeper, let`s compare both Ondrejs at their age. Let me remind you that Palat went undrafted first year. Kase went BARELY drafted being one of the last picks in his draft.
Although they were playing different hockey before AHL (Palat QMJHL and Kase Czech 2nd pro league) they came into AHL at the same age of 20 (I believe Kase was still 19 and turned 20 early on).
So what did they do in their first North Americal Pro seasons?

Palat:
AHL: 30p in 61gp

Kase:
AHL: 14p in 25gp

In their second years:
Palat:
AHL: 52p in 56gp
NHL: 4p in 14gp

Kase(so far):
AHL: 7p in 9gp
NHL: 4p in 11gp

So their stories are pretty similar as well as the numbers are so far, if we compare it age-to-age. I also don`t believe their games are as much similar as their stories, name, nationality etc :laugh:
Weather Palat was a stud defensively already then, I don`t know. He most likely was showing the skill already that year.
So far Kase doesn`t look like a 2 way forward but hopefully he improves his defensive work, now he is benefitting from Vermette doing a lot of work and favorable matchups. Kase just needs to keep working hard. I actually would like if we`d be able to send him to San Diego to play mostly there and train/get stronger a bit

quentez

#8 Teemu Legend
Apr 2, 2011
Trondheim, Norway
I haven't watched Kase play, but from the comments here it seems as he is very comparable to Zuccarello when he first entered the league. Took some time but he got by pretty well after a year or two.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Kase, just like Palat, has vision, hockey sense and can be a playmaker from the wing position. But Palat is stronger, faster, more physical and much better defensively. As far as Czech players go, I think Kase is more similar to a young Martin Erat. And that's before I realized Erat was also a 7th round pick. Over the years, Erat went from quite one dimensional to become a pretty good 2 way-player while remaining a shifty playmaker. Hopefully Kase can progress the same way.

You can tell Kase knows how to protect the puck, but sometimes he's unable to as he's not strong enough yet. Erat was never very good along the boards, but could shield the puck in open ice due to good balance and low center of gravity. Some added lower body strenght would serve Kase well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad