Player Discussion Ondřej Kaše Appreciation Thread

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Kase looks promising, but have we ever really heard the organization talk about him?

A lot of the other diamonds in the rough type guys get talked about a year or two before they break out. I remember the team mentioning Penner and Manson, for example. Don't really recall hearing about Kase.

It wasn`t an organisation that was talking about Manson IIRC. Or was it?

In any case, now they are talking about Kase so who know how he will look 2 years from now :naughty:

In the same time I remember our team were ''promoting'' Holland before the training camps etc in some articles on their website and look how that turned out. I don`t think there was ''enough'' hype around Rakell (maybe mostly because they thought Noesen was better) so we shouldn`t worry about this :)

I remember I was hyed about Kase after the draft (might have been his draft thread on our boards here). There was a video of him in WJC`s as a 17/18 yo and he looked very good already then. (the same style as I saw in the Isles game - sneaky, crafty and speedy)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kase looks promising, but have we ever really heard the organization talk about him?

A lot of the other diamonds in the rough type guys get talked about a year or two before they break out. I remember the team mentioning Penner and Manson, for example. Don't really recall hearing about Kase.

I don't really think the organisation really conveys a lot of info about prospects anymore, back when Burke was around and in the early Murray days there was a lot more info from Ducks scouts and management.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I definitely remember them talking up Manson a year or two ago. It was either from post-draft prospect camp or the save a seat thing. At the time I was kind of like "who?"

That was like a party line thing too, where it was said by multiple people.

edit: To contrast, I don't remember them talking up Holland or Etem. Holland had like a newspaper thing during the season, but wasn't talked up like that. I think Manson also got more mention the following year, early in his rookie season.

double edit: and talking up means like bringing them up without direct solicitation. Like maybe just "what prospect is looking good?" vs "how is ___ doing?" or "I want to write a story on our new 1st round pick rookie"

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I definitely remember them talking up Manson a year or two ago. It was either from post-draft prospect camp or the save a seat thing. At the time I was kind of like "who?"

That was like a party line thing too, where it was said by multiple people.

They were pretty high on Manson from what I remember. Bob's also had good words about Pettersson, which makes me fairly optimistic about him. It seems now that they'll say something like that at the year end STH event but that's about it.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
If you saw any sd games live the people you noticed was Montour kase and Ritchie

As I said before the season started he is a dark horse to make team. He is always around the puck, hounding the puck, or the puck is finding him. His game reminds me a lot of Palat. He definitely needs to get stronger though from the games I've seen him play in the nhl.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If you saw any sd games live the people you noticed was Montour kase and Ritchie

As I said before the season started he is a dark horse to make team. He is always around the puck, hounding the puck, or the puck is finding him. His game reminds me a lot of Palat. He definitely needs to get stronger though from the games I've seen him play in the nhl.

I believe Palat is much more of a 2 way forward

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Yeah I don't see any similarities with Palat other than being Czech guys named Ondrej drafted in the 7th round.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
2 posts and a debatable waved-off goal over the last two games. Ouch.

He's been pretty good. I really liked the pick at the time and he's really come through. He does remind me of Cogliano; he's small, yet feisty, and he can throw some hits that I think surprise some of the bigger guys. Good hands and nice vision. He could use some more seasoning in SD (and strength is major issue moving forward that he needs to work on) but he's showed some consistent flashes of talent. He's getting himself in good position and he's making good on those chances. He could already have 5 points by now if it weren't for the iron and the referees. :laugh:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
He has certainly seemed a lot more dangerous than Corey Perry. It does say a bit about him having been pretty impressive, but it obviously says more about Perry. Still, I think he's got a solid NHL future ahead of him.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Sekac was the next Gretzky.

Hello here from CZ. Just to clarify it. There were no high hopes about Sekac in CZ. He wasnt even drafted so people dont consider him as some big talent. His play in KHL and on int stage was highly valued by foreign experts. Thats why his agent probably said he had been picking from 20 NHL offers which made bit star aura around him when he came to Montreal. Imo that didnt really help him to understand what is NHL and his position there about and he had to left this stage. Being sometimes flashy is not enough.

We used to use term "Baby Jagr" which Frolik should be:) Since then, with CZ decline and with comming young superstars like Laine etc, czechs are quite realistic about their prospects. Biggest talents should be Hertl, Pastrnak, Vrana, Zacha. Then there are probably Kase brothers. They comming from that junior generation who could challenge big nations but usually lost with tiny margin or got blowed by USA. These Czech guys always seemed to me as good stick handlers and quite good skaters but always smaller than opponents and generally less aggressive there:))

So all by all I am quite surprised that Kase already jumped into NhL games. He could be 50 points forward imo. He is use to work hard so hopefully he will work on it.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I don't think they said much, but Kase was ranked pretty high during his draft year and then fell for whatever reason, so there was some outside hype. Also doesn't help that he's barely played since being drafted.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I don't think they said much, but Kase was ranked pretty high during his draft year and then fell for whatever reason, so there was some outside hype. Also doesn't help that he's barely played since being drafted.

He was ranked as a mid round guy in 2014; 52 by McKeen's, 80 by FC and 150 by ISS. Central scouting had him as the 8th ranked Euro skater right behind Pettersson. Classic small but skilled guy from the looks of things.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Has he been injured? I'll admit I haven't much heard of him until recently. Now I hear the Ducks say he was the best forward in SD this year.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Has he been injured? I'll admit I haven't much heard of him until recently. Now I hear the Ducks say he was the best forward in SD this year.

Yes the last 2 rookie camps I went to the scrimmage was on one side and the other side was Kase doing individual drills because he was injured. I thought it was interesting they had 3 coaches with him most the time like they thought he was going to be something back then.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Kase puts on some muscle and learns how to win more battles along the boards he's going to be a good player. Health permitting. He's got that knack for being in the right place at the right time (like the opposit of Etem) and has some skill to go with the good hockey sense.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

He didn't even play the year after his draft and then played only like 25 games last year. It's actually very crazy he's this far along and makes one wonder where he'd be with those two crucial years of development.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
He didn't even play the year after his draft and then played only like 25 games last year. It's actually very crazy he's this far along and makes one wonder where he'd be with those two crucial years of development.

He played in the second tier Czech league and the WJC the season after getting drafted.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hello here from CZ. Just to clarify it. There were no high hopes about Sekac in CZ. He wasnt even drafted so people dont consider him as some big talent. His play in KHL and on int stage was highly valued by foreign experts. Thats why his agent probably said he had been picking from 20 NHL offers which made bit star aura around him when he came to Montreal. Imo that didnt really help him to understand what is NHL and his position there about and he had to left this stage. Being sometimes flashy is not enough.

We used to use term "Baby Jagr" which Frolik should be:) Since then, with CZ decline and with comming young superstars like Laine etc, czechs are quite realistic about their prospects. Biggest talents should be Hertl, Pastrnak, Vrana, Zacha. Then there are probably Kase brothers. They comming from that junior generation who could challenge big nations but usually lost with tiny margin or got blowed by USA. These Czech guys always seemed to me as good stick handlers and quite good skaters but always smaller than opponents and generally less aggressive there:))

So all by all I am quite surprised that Kase already jumped into NhL games. He could be 50 points forward imo. He is use to work hard so hopefully he will work on it.

Thanks for info. 50 points seem so far from Kase right now tho. But really really good surprise he has been so far.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Last year he spent a good portion of the AHL season injured (a couple of different concussions, I think), explaining the small number of games played. That ties in with the comments about needing to gain strength and size, to be able to stand up to the physicality of the pro game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad