Olympics 2026 qualification

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
A shame the losers will get auto-advanced anyways most likely. I hate that lazy federations are getting rewarded not on merit when they don't get results to warrant it.
It's not like they have a chance in the next round, I frankly don't see a big issue. OGQ tournament, at this level, is about bragging rights only.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Just went on to imagine that if the Russia and Belarus ban would stay final qualification groups would be re-drawn. This is how I would see it. In this scenario, Slovakia goes straight to the Olympics as the eighth-best ranked team when Russia is removed from the ranking.

W = February group winners
RU = February group runner-ups (the best two will get a new chance.

Latvia
Austria
Slovenia
RU2

Denmark
Kazakhstan
W1
RU1

Norway
France
W2
W3
If this happens - it is wide open.. Latvia and Norway are not in any way powerhouses... they struggle for goals.

The Danes... will all depend on who shows up in August.

So I'd give everyone a punchers chance of qualifying.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's not like they have a chance in the next round, I frankly don't see a big issue. OGQ tournament, at this level, is about bragging rights only.
Yes, but I mean the whole trickle up effect it creates. Everyone (after three or four) moves up a spot or two (depending on where they are) so they get to say "hey look, we are doing something right, no need to evaluate things" when it's artificial.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes, but I mean the whole trickle up effect it creates. Everyone (after three or four) moves up a spot or two (depending on where they are) so they get to say "hey look, we are doing something right, no need to evaluate things" when it's artificial.
I sincerely don't think anyone is getting evaluated after the 3 game tournament in the middle of the season where teams have barely any practice time beforehand, are missing tons of players, and then you play 3 games in 3 days. There were teams (Ukraine for sure) where leading players arrived on the eve of the tournament. The same might have applied to Hungary since they have a significant number of important players playing abroad.

WC cycle matters, this is just a glorified friendly tournament. If you lose to Spain - that's a seriously bad look. But in this case, last time Ukraine played against Poland in WC (2022) it went to the SO as well. Japan has beaten Hungary 3-0 last spring in a friendly before the WC. So these are not some kind of unprecedented results and the circumstances under which the games are played are just hectic.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If this happens - it is wide open.. Latvia and Norway are not in any way powerhouses... they struggle for goals.

The Danes... will all depend on who shows up in August.

So I'd give everyone a punchers chance of qualifying.
Wide open? Struggle for goals?

Latvia has faced Austria 23 times total. Won 19.
Latvia has played 12 games vs Slovenia. Won 10.

The last time we did not qualify for the Olympics, we faced Germany in our group. Lost 2-3 in a nailbiter and they went on to win silver in the 2018 Olympics. We beat Austria 8-1 back then.

Whoever makes the Latvia group is going to be a major major underdog.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The winners of the pre-qualifying tournaments, which is what we were talking about here, have a 0% chance of qualifying for the Olympics.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Wide open? Struggle for goals?

Latvia has faced Austria 23 times total. Won 19.
Latvia has played 12 games vs Slovenia. Won 10.

The last time we did not qualify for the Olympics, we faced Germany in our group. Lost 2-3 in a nailbiter and they went on to win silver in the 2018 Olympics. We beat Austria 8-1 back then.

Whoever makes the Latvia group is going to be a major major underdog.

You have no idea what you're talking about. The winners of the pre-qualifying tournaments, which is what we were talking about here, have a 0% chance of qualifying for the Olympics.
You are cranky ... get your coffee into ya.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ukrainians with probably the bleakest game, feels like they came into the third just to lock down the lead. Against Estonia which they could have just blown away. But oh well, it worked in the end.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
China 7 and Serbia 5. Serbia has a long, long way to go and I am not familiar enough with their program to say if things will ever get better.

Korea and Poland will play and one would assume 2nd place is still important.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Poland seems like the team that has lost all the belief in themselves. They can't score against the team they beat 6-0 less than a week ago and 7-0 in the last WC.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
GB finish the job. 7-4

Poland and Korea are 2-2 in the 3rd. Poland pull the goalie with under a minute, looking for all 3 points.

edit - they don't get it... going to OT

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Korea in OT which wraps up this round of qualifying... Poland were just not good enough when it mattered.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
IIHF confirms Belarus and Russia out of 2024/2025. The don't mention who will replace Belarus at the qualifiers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad