Olympics 2026 qualification

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Group J

Pretournament game between Korea and Ukraine this evening.

Also available with Ukrainian commentators.

Yesterday, Poland beat Korea 6-0.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Group J

Pretournament game between Korea and Ukraine this evening.

Also available with Ukrainian commentators.

Yesterday, Poland beat Korea 6-0.
That's a comprehensive beating... perhaps befitting of a team back in the big show for the first time in a very long time.

Been a long time since Poland had an NHL er as well. I am digressing but I can recall the Ice Hockey game from the late 80's... had 6 teams and Poland was one of them.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
A spot is being held for Belarus, for final qualifying in August. I wonder if the highest ranked loser will get that spot if they are not re-instated? Poland or South Korea if things go according to plan.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
A spot is being held for Belarus, for final qualifying in August. I wonder if the highest ranked loser will get that spot if they are not re-instated? Poland or South Korea if things go according to plan.
I have the same question regarding Russia.

Will Slovakia advance as the highest ranked country or is it going to be a lucky loser/2nd placed team with the most points/goals?

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Poland is expected to easily advance from this group, but I think the exhibition game vs. Korea is giving people a false sense of optimism in a way. Both of Poland's top goalies, John Murray and Tomas Fucik are not playing, plus top two players Alan Lyszczarczyk and Aron Chmielewski are inured too and won't participate.
Poland has a history of getting too confident and underestimating some opponents too easily which leads to disappointing results, but I think they have changed and learned their lesson, Kalaber the coach seems to have gotten them out of that mindset and more focused on their game and working together better. I still think they'll advance from this group pretty easily, but Ukraine will give them their biggest test.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
That's a comprehensive beating... perhaps befitting of a team back in the big show for the first time in a very long time.

Been a long time since Poland had an NHL er as well. I am digressing but I can recall the Ice Hockey game from the late 80's... had 6 teams and Poland was one of them.
And it will probably be a while before we see a pure Polish NHL'er. I say pure because there are quite a few young Polish talents playing in Europe, the problem is they end up becoming Czechs, Slovaks, Germans, or Swedes to advance their career, and PZHL isn't doing enough to stop this from happening.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I have the same question regarding Russia.

Will Slovakia advance as the highest ranked country or is it going to be a lucky loser/2nd placed team with the most points/goals?
Yes - I was thinking that may get decided after this round. Something similar.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Streams I found so far

Group G
Hungary's games with VPN
Japan's games (had to turn my VPN on halfway through the first game)

Group H
All games behind a £40 paywall

Group J
Poland's games with VPN
Non-Poland games
Ukraine's games

Last edited:
Reactions: Marky1999

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
Gonna make a "bold" prediction here who will advance from all three groups lol
Group G: Hungary
Group H: UK
Group J: Poland

It's pretty clear, but I do think in Group G Lithuania will give Hungary some trouble, and in Group J Ukraine will give Poland some trouble.
In Group H UK at home should have no trouble with all three teams, China putting out a beer league team and I'm just not convinced Romania has come far enough to trouble UK at home.

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Lithuania with 10 players based in the Latvian league.

Good luck and I wouldn't mind a surprise upset against Hungary.

So far 2-0 vs Japan

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I do think in Group G Lithuania will give Hungary some trouble

That is.. brave.

After a terrible start from Japan (jet lag maybe playing a role, they are playing in the middle of the night local time, basically), things are back to normal. It's kinda weird multiple people are predicting our upset (or the possibility of an upset) over Hungary when Japan is by far a stronger team and we have basically amateur goaltending.

With Armalis in goal maybe we would have a slight chance (it was a close game last time we played in the WC) but without him, any team that will outplay us WILL outscore us.

legionista

Jan 17, 2013
Maryland/Brooklyn
That is.. brave.

After a terrible start from Japan (jet lag maybe playing a role, they are playing in the middle of the night local time, basically), things are back to normal. It's kinda weird multiple people are predicting our upset (or the possibility of an upset) over Hungary when Japan is by far a stronger team and we have basically amateur goaltending.

With Armalis in goal maybe we would have a slight chance (it was a close game last time we played in the WC) but without him, any team that will outplay us WILL outscore us.
Lithuania looked good in the 1st period, I guess just the wheels fell off....

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lithuania looked good in the 1st period, I guess just the wheels fell off....
We have 0 professional goalies and 1,5 professional defensemen. If we looked good it just highlights how much the Japanese were struggling. With all due respect to our hockey, at this point, the teams aren't close as was highlighted that ultimately, even a 3-goal handicap wasn't enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad