May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Question - who will have a bigger impact for the Canucks

olli Juolevi
Or
Nikita Tryamkin

answer. Neither.

neither will ever play a(nother) NHL game.

even I don’t agree with that, regardless of how bad he is he will get an NHL game cause of his status and benning unable to be wrong in his mind

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We have been statistically the worst team in the league over the last 5 years average. Not hard to have a few guys work out when you’re given suck high picks.

let’s not praise GMJB for doing what GMs are SUPPOSED to do.
Why will Juolevi or Tryamkin never play an NHL game?..30 other GM's couldn't draft 3 consecutive Calder finalists?

Last edited:

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Also their godawful depth. Only a matter of time Tanev and Edler are out and Jim gets to give Olli the call.

Imagine a defense paring of Fantenberg and Juolevi when Green line matches him against Malkin :sarcasm:.

Happy to hear that Olli isn't all that injured and is back soon, though.

Reactions: dwarf

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Oh, excuse me your holiness, I didnt know a mere response to thy word means I am triggered?

But thats an awesome response...your perception of rumours....or lack of...what a comedy.

Your contrarian schtick makes you look silly sometimes.

One guy has put up .36 career ppg, the other .30. I chalk up the difference to one guy has had the luxury of playing on a significantly better team for a few years. Both play with blinders on (ill slow it down for you...neither is very smart sometimes), both are disappointments in light of where they were taken in the draft...but saying you would take one guy over the other every day of the week is laughable when the guy you would take every day of the week has 5 points so far...and the other guy is producing about double that at half the cost (but i forgot cap only counts when you want to complain about cap).

But yeah, he is far more brilliant on the ice than Jake....
Of course you’d go on some diatribe about me.

I genuinely think Sam Bennett is a better player than Jake Virtanen.

maybe put me on ignore if you’re so easily triggered.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Benning can't control injuries after the draft.

He was a great pick at the time. I forget who it was but another dman was draft I think 7th and it took 4years before he played a game because of injuries. He is now a top4 dman. Not top 2 but still a solid important player. I just can't remember the name of that player
Then he went back to Junior and was meh. Then they went to Finland, not much better.

Juolevi was well on track to be a massive bust before he hurt his back.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
For all the warts in his actual play, the only reason he hasn't gotten NHL games is injuries. He's shown enough every time he's gotten a chance that he deserves a cup of coffee, at minimum.

I thought he was a reasonable pick at the time. He was the top defenceman on a lot of lists, and he was in the range of where he was taken. If a team didn't like Tkachuk, Juolevi was a solid pick to make (see Dubois over the consensus higher ranked Puljujarvi for an example of this thinking paying off).

He didn't progress in his D+1 year, then his body fell apart every time he seemed to be taking a step.

Now Virtanen was a stretch - he clearly was ranked at the bottom of a grouping of good players in the draft. That said - I liked Ritchie by a hair over Ehlers, so don't trust my opinion on that draft.
If he was entirely healthy then we would all have acknowledged him as a bust.

All the injuries have done is buy him time in the eyes of some fans. He's never going to be a regular NHLer. He will be back in Europe after next year.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
We have been statistically the worst team in the league over the last 5 years average. Not hard to have a few guys work out when you’re given suck high picks.

Lets see him actually draft a few impact players outside the first round. Gaudette is nice. Lets have more of that.

Canucks have a shockingly awful prospect pool for how bad they have been. It's insanely bad.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Lost in all the blather about drafting is that they could have traded Olli 2 years ago as I said at the time. It was obvious then he wouldn't work out but still had value unlike now.

Realizing when to cash in your prospects vs clinging to them until they turn to dust is another key skill that Benning lacks.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Lets see him actually draft a few impact players outside the first round. Gaudette is nice. Lets have more of that.

Canucks have a shockingly awful prospect pool for how bad they have been. It's insanely bad.

FWIW, I'm not a Benning supporter but let's be fair: Demko is an impact NHL player. DiPietro is an impact AHL player that's tracking to become an NHL goalie in some capacity. Madden is tracking similarly to Gaudette. Hoglander is having good D+1. As is Carson Focht and McDonough.

Not great, but better than you're implying.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
FWIW, I'm not a Benning supporter but let's be fair: Demko is an impact NHL player. DiPietro is an impact AHL player that's tracking to become an NHL goalie in some capacity. Madden is tracking similarly to Gaudette. Hoglander is having good D+1. As is Carson Focht and McDonough.

Not great, but better than you're implying.
Most prospects improve in their D+1 year as they get older – literally every team can point to this progress, it doesn't mean much (even if we accept the pretty ridiculous idea that Benning is the guy scouting 5th rounders). Other than Shinkaruk (injuries) and maybe Miles Liberati, the entirety of the Canucks' 2013 draft took a step forward in their D+1 year, for example, and we were excited about Cassels, Subban, etc.

Jimbo57

Jan 28, 2018

How many teams in NHL history have had 3 finalists in a row without picking in the top 4?

Last edited:

jftam

Jun 28, 2013
See, this is where I disagree but it's not fact, just my opinion.

I think he was more than a small reach, because of how the tiers of the draft broke down, but even then, I just never liked him as a prospect, very vanilla, no standout qualities. I also think Chychrun was the #1 dman available at the time of the draft, and he may very well still be that, but it's close with McAvoy.

IIRC, Chychrun was in the running for #1 overall pick , not just best d-man, in the years leading up to the draft. He fell due to injury concerns and surgeries. Kinda ironic for us having picked Olli.

Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad