Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Benning can't control injuries after the draft.

He was a great pick at the time. I forget who it was but another dman was draft I think 7th and it took 4years before he played a game because of injuries. He is now a top4 dman. Not top 2 but still a solid important player. I just can't remember the name of that player

Was he though?

2016 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

2016 NHL Draft Rankings

I, admittedly wrongly, didn't want Tkachuk, but Juolevi was my fourth ranked dman, Chychrun, Sergachev, Bean.

Add in what everyone was saying about Tkachuk, and yeah, it was a risky pick. Not necessarily bad, but certainly not "great".

Last edited:
Reactions: valkynax

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
No.

He is a great pick still.

Imagine, jumping to conclusions on a 5th OA pick before he has even played a game in the NHL.

Only once we have seen him play several hundred NHL games will we be able to conclude whether he is a great pick - or the greatest pick ever.
Patrick White could still turn into a great player? 0 NHL games, too early to judge.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Benning can't control injuries after the draft.

He was a great pick at the time. I forget who it was but another dman was draft I think 7th and it took 4years before he played a game because of injuries. He is now a top4 dman. Not top 2 but still a solid important player. I just can't remember the name of that player
People wonder why the heck the same stupid shit gets rehashed in the Juolevi threads and it's because of statements like this.

He was not a great pick at the time. His stock as a 5th overall was questioned in training camp that year, he never progressed in his 2nd season with the Knights.

At best you could say he was a "reasonable pick" at the spot he was taken.

Reactions: Scorvat

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
we needed a dman prospect and he was highly rated.

Some pundits even said future Ohlund.

I thought it was an interesting pick at the time, but not a great pick mind you. At that time, I wouldn't have imagined in my wildest dreams that Juolevi would have turned out this bad.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
After his D+1 season, you could tell he wouldn't be anything special. A top 5 pick should have dominated the OHL, but this guy was just meh. Unfortunately, now he is just damaged goods. He was hand-picked by Benning, so it's no wonder some people are still trying to defend this brutal pick.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Scanning that 2016 NHL draft, so far Juolevi is only player drafted in the first 17 selections to never have played an NHL game. Benning and the Canucks will wear this pick like a burning tire.

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
Pietrangelo, Ellis, Dumba, Exblad, Nurse, are all players who played a few seasons in Junior/Sweden's league. Some even had injuries and they turned out ok. I am disapointment he didn't play in a nhl game but his stats look good and he is still young. I am sure he will play a couple hundred games and be a useful dman. He still has top4 protential.

go to other team forums and people still rate Olli. Don't beat him down before he has even played. I doubt anybody has actually watch any Utica games of his to comment much.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
People wonder why the heck the same stupid **** gets rehashed in the Juolevi threads and it's because of statements like this.

He was not a great pick at the time. His stock as a 5th overall was questioned in training camp that year, he never progressed in his 2nd season with the Knights.

At best you could say he was a "reasonable pick" at the spot he was taken.

He was a small reach, as Tkachuk was BPA, and Sergachev BDA.

I still have hope Juolevi can become a solid NHL player, but he's a bust at this point (based solely on draft position).

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Pietrangelo, Ellis, Dumba, Exblad, Nurse, are all players who played a few seasons in Junior/Sweden's league. Some even had injuries and they turned out ok. I am disapointment he didn't play in a nhl game but his stats look good and he is still young. I am sure he will play a couple hundred games and be a useful dman. He still has top4 protential.

go to other team forums and people still rate Olli. Don't beat him down before he has even played. I doubt anybody has actually watch any Utica games of his to comment much.

This is where I wish we had a wiki or something where we can just link to the thousands of times we have gone over this.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He was a small reach, as Tkachuk was BPA, and Sergachev BDA.

I still have hope Juolevi can become a solid NHL player, but he's a bust at this point (based solely on draft position).
See, this is where I disagree but it's not fact, just my opinion.

I think he was more than a small reach, because of how the tiers of the draft broke down, but even then, I just never liked him as a prospect, very vanilla, no standout qualities. I also think Chychrun was the #1 dman available at the time of the draft, and he may very well still be that, but it's close with McAvoy.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Pietrangelo came up for 9 games in D+1 and D+2. He was already good enough to play in the NHL at 18. Bad example.

Ekbald went straight to the NHL at 18.

Dumba, Nurse and Ellis showed massive improvement year over year.

Juolevi's post draft does not resemble any of these players, like not close.

Closest comparable is probably the 4th overall pick in the 2007 draft, Thomas Hickey.
This is where I wish we had a wiki or something where we can just link to the thousands of times we have gone over this.
It's unbelievable that this is still happening in almost 2020......it's like someone fell asleep after the World Juniors or Memorial Cup in 2016 and just woke up yesterday.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and Upoil

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Pietrangelo came up for 9 games in D+1 and D+2. He was already good enough to play in the NHL at 18. Bad example.

Ekbald went straight to the NHL at 18.

Dumba, Nurse and Ellis showed massive improvement year over year.

Juolevi's post draft does not resemble any of these players, like not close.

Closest comparable is probably the 4th overall pick in the 2007 draft, Thomas Hickey.

It's unbelievable that this is still happening in almost 2020......it's like someone fell asleep after the World Juniors or Memorial Cup in 2016 and just woke up yesterday.

I'm hoping he 'pans out' like Derek Forbort who took forever to develop into an NHL player.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yep. Just flat out the wrong pick. It is what it is. At his age an lack of progress and games I don't know how anyone can believe he's all of a sudden going to flip the switch. He has Euro league player written all over him. Again, he was a wasted high pick. Call him a bust or whatever, just straight up wrong pick and it cost the team a top pick.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Question - who will have a bigger impact for the Canucks

olli Juolevi
Or
Nikita Tryamkin

answer. Neither.

neither will ever play a(nother) NHL game.
and why is that?

waiters-servers-glasses-half_empty-pessimists-restaurants-CC28397_low.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ChilliBilly

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
After his D+1 season, you could tell he wouldn't be anything special. A top 5 pick should have dominated the OHL, but this guy was just meh. Unfortunately, now he is just damaged goods. He was hand-picked by Benning, so it's no wonder some people are still trying to defend this brutal pick.
“Hand picked by benning”

gold!

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Scanning that 2016 NHL draft, so far Juolevi is only player drafted in the first 17 selections to never have played an NHL game. Benning and the Canucks will wear this pick like a burning tire.

For all the warts in his actual play, the only reason he hasn't gotten NHL games is injuries. He's shown enough every time he's gotten a chance that he deserves a cup of coffee, at minimum.

I thought he was a reasonable pick at the time. He was the top defenceman on a lot of lists, and he was in the range of where he was taken. If a team didn't like Tkachuk, Juolevi was a solid pick to make (see Dubois over the consensus higher ranked Puljujarvi for an example of this thinking paying off).

He didn't progress in his D+1 year, then his body fell apart every time he seemed to be taking a step.

Now Virtanen was a stretch - he clearly was ranked at the bottom of a grouping of good players in the draft. That said - I liked Ritchie by a hair over Ehlers, so don't trust my opinion on that draft.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad