Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. III | Off to Juo-tica

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Also sounds like the type of guy a building team doesn't trade away for a 2nd round pick.

I don’t think we should either at this point. We need to gamble on high end talent. Which is why he was such a bad draft choice but as one Jared McCann said, it is what it is. Doesn’t mean you have to be happy aboube it though.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Can we please stop with this "defensemen take longer to develop" bs?

Since Juolevi was drafted, the following defensemen who were drafted the same year or after have made the NHL:

Mikhail Sergachev
Jakob Chychrun
Dennis Cholowski
Samuel Girard
Filip Hronek
Victor Mete
Max Lajoie
Miro Heiskanen
Juuso Valimaki
Henri Jokiharju
Sebastian Aho
Rasmus Dahlin
Evan Bouchard

and when we consider that Juolevi was a 5th overall pick. FIFTH OVERALL PICK. Only 4 players in the entire 2016 draft were taken before him...this is pretty pathetic. He's in his Draft +3 season, still doesn't look like he's close to making the NHL. Not calling him a bust, but he was a bad pick. There were better players available. Benning blundered the 2016 5th overall pick just like he blundered the 6th overall pick in 2014. This is another huge blunder.

Juolevi may still develop into something. At this point I'd say it's unlikely he develops into someone who can carry a 2nd pairing. At best I'm thinking maybe a complementary number 4? Though someone who's more likely suited on the bottom pairing.

Great list.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So Del Zotto scratched again....not much doubt Juolevi will be in the Canucks lineup by Xmas.
Doesn't require HEALTHY scratches. Whether one is pro or anti management - it's been a curse with this franchise (health of players). Injuries will mean Juolevi will play for the Canucks sometime this season - it's just a matter of when.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Through 3 games he has 1 assist and is -6. Has anyone been watching him?

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Utica plays the Marlies tonight at 1pm just ahead of the Canucks. Might be a good chance to check him out and also test the new AHLTV thing.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Through 3 games he has 1 assist and is -6. Has anyone been watching him?
But I thought after that first game, where he had a 'steady debut' people had proclaimed him a success and were penciling him back on the canucks roster? Didn't he break an AHL record that game? Can't we just focus on that one, decent game, and ignore the cumulative stats (that are starting to pile up) and use that one game to project the rest of his career? You know like people did with Erik's first game this season.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
But I thought after that first game, where he had a 'steady debut' people had proclaimed him a success and were penciling him back on the canucks roster? Didn't he break an AHL record that game? Can't we just focus on that one, decent game, and ignore the cumulative stats (that are starting to pile up) and use that one game to project the rest of his career? You know like people did with Erik's first game this season.

What a load of passive aggressive nonsense. Can you blame people for getting excited about a prospect in his first ahl game after he did well? Do you expect people to come post that he is a bust when he doesn't do well a few games after? I understand, we all need to wait and look at a large sample size. But don't come here shitting on some excitement people had after the very first game.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
What a load of passive aggressive nonsense. Can you blame people for getting excited about a prospect in his first ahl game after he did well? Do you expect people to come post that he is a bust when he doesn't do well a few games after? I understand, we all need to wait and look at a large sample size. But don't come here ****ting on some excitement people had after the very first game.

He's just pointing out a clear hypocrisy. Not sure what the issue is.

Reactions: nuck luck

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He's just pointing out a clear hypocrisy. Not sure what the issue is.

you mean being happy when a prospect for your team plays well is hypocrisy?

or do you mean not immediately jumping on a prospect for your team when they don't play well is hypocrisy.

because in either case it seems to me like maybe someone switched up the definitions of "fan" and "hypocrite" in your dictionary as a hilarious prank.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What a load of passive aggressive nonsense. Can you blame people for getting excited about a prospect in his first ahl game after he did well? Do you expect people to come post that he is a bust when he doesn't do well a few games after? I understand, we all need to wait and look at a large sample size. But don't come here ****ting on some excitement people had after the very first game.

This is a discussion board. You may want to look up the definition of the word "discussion."

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
This is a discussion board. You may want to look up the definition of the word "discussion."

There was no discussion there, only a passive aggressive snipe at people being excited about a prospect. And thanks, I know where I am.

Reactions: Nomobo

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
There was no discussion there, only a passive aggressive snipe at people being excited about a prospect. And thanks, I know where I am.

If you are posting "I am excited about this player!" then you are not posting anything that is conducive to any actual discussion even though you are well within your rights to feel this way.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
you mean being happy when a prospect for your team plays well is hypocrisy?

or do you mean not immediately jumping on a prospect for your team when they don't play well is hypocrisy.

because in either case it seems to me like maybe someone switched up the definitions of "fan" and "hypocrite" in your dictionary as a hilarious prank.

Prospect performing well has a good game : Everything is great with this prospect!

Prospect performing well has a poor game : This game doesn't matter, everything is great with this prospect!

Prospect performing poorly has a good game : This game matters a lot, everything is great with this prospect!

Prospect performing poorly has a poor game : Be patient, haters, everything is great with this prospect!

And this is literally how half this board seems to think. I've said it before, but I've never seen a better window into logical fallacies and biases that watching hockey fans evaluate prospects. It's stunning at times.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Prospect performing well has a good game : Everything is great with this prospect!

Prospect performing well has a poor game : This game doesn't matter, everything is great with this prospect!

Prospect performing poorly has a good game : This game matters a lot, everything is great with this prospect!

Prospect performing poorly has a poor game : Be patient, haters, everything is great with this prospect!

And this is literally how half this board seems to think. I've said it before, but I've never seen a better window into logical fallacies and biases that watching hockey fans evaluate prospects. It's stunning at times.

Yeah was about to post something very similar to this.

I do have to add that Pavel96 was a bit snarky.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ok so does anyone actually want to chime in about how he's playing or should we just argue with each other?

I can argue with you if you like; As we wait for someone to let us know how OJ has actually looked.

Lets start with I believe you are being unfair to everyone and should be ashamed. (Your turn)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ok so does anyone actually want to chime in about how he's playing or should we just argue with each other?

By all accounts (the posters who post detailed summaries in the Utica thread) it's the same old with Juolevi: does not engage physically or use body positioning well, does not show urgency, can make a nice pass, gets beat wide by speed too frequently.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

that's literally how a sports fan acts. they try as hard as they can to remain upbeat and positive and supportive of their team and players.

it's a necessary voluntary suspension of cynicism. hockey as a sport would not exist without fans who adopt that attitude. a high percentage do so fully aware of and even embracing the inherent logical shortcomings.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
If you are posting "I am excited about this player!" then you are not posting anything that is conducive to any actual discussion even though you are well within your rights to feel this way.

How is posting about getting exited about the first good game a prospect had a bad thing here? Or not conducive to discussion? Positivity after a good showing is not allowed to be talked about?

While I get your premise, this is not happening (in general). Prospects have their ups and downs. I just took issue with someone trying to crap on people getting excited about a prospect (or player) after their first showing this year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
that's literally how a sports fan acts. they try as hard as they can to remain upbeat and positive and supportive of their team and players.

it's a necessary voluntary suspension of cynicism. hockey as a sport would not exist without fans who adopt that attitude. a high percentage do so fully aware of and even embracing the inherent logical shortcomings.

Absolutely true. But this is a discussion board, not Rogers Arena. The purpose of the boards is to give opinions and discuss them with others, not to cheer "rah rah go Canucks go" which serves no purpose in a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad