Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. III | Off to Juo-tica

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Hey guys, I don’t know why everyone cares so much about first round picks. Guys like Dal Colle, Yakupov, Glennie, MPS, and Schroeder were all first round picks, but eventually guys drafted in the 6th round like Jared Spurgeon, Cam Atkins, Tommy Wingels, and Anders Lee all turned out better.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Hey guys, I don’t know why everyone cares so much about first round picks. Guys like Dal Colle, Yakupov, Glennie, MPS, and Schroeder were all first round picks, but eventually guys drafted in the 6th round like Jared Spurgeon, Cam Atkins, Tommy Wingels, and Anders Lee all turned out better.
What does 6th round picks have to do with an example from 3 draft years comparing mostly 1st round picks and a couple 2nds?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I wonder why the Juolevi defenders don't apply the same logic and reasoning to Gaunce? He just needs some more time to fill out.
I wonder why the Gaunce lovers continue to take aim at Juolevi..........i mean in 6 yrs they can spend countless hrs arguing why he is such an effective player....only to have him clear waivers. LMAO

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I wonder why the Gaunce lovers continue to take aim at Juolevi..........i mean in 6 yrs they can spend countless hrs arguing why he is such an effective player....only to have him clear waivers. LMAO

Because Gaunce was drafted 26th overall in a bad draft year and is a hard working player with limited offensive prowess, whereas Juolevi was drafted 5th overall and was a bone-headed move missing Tkachuk among many other talented players.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So you feel the examples drawn are poor examples for OJ then?

And as a rebuttal for the ridiculous list that Y2K made to continue to parrot what a poor pick he was.?

In your list? Nah, I’m sure they suited your purposes nicely.

Reactions: geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Because Gaunce was drafted 26th overall in a bad draft year and is a hard working player with limited offensive prowess, whereas Juolevi was drafted 5th overall and was a bone-headed move missing Tkachuk among many other talented players.
i thought this was the Juolevi thread?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So you feel the examples drawn are poor examples for OJ then?

And as a rebuttal for the ridiculous list that Y2K made to continue to parrot what a poor pick he was.?

I agree that it's ridiculous that people still use the "defensemen take longer to develop" BS line to defend the Juolevi pick. 13 defensemen drafted in the same year or later have made the NHL. Let's put that excuse to bed shall we?

Reactions: geebaan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I agree that it's ridiculous that people still use the "defensemen take longer to develop" BS line to defend the Juolevi pick. 13 defensemen drafted in the same year or later have made the NHL. Let's put that excuse to bed shall we?
i think i mostly agree but in relation to OJ it doesn't mean he's not gonna be a good defenseman.

Many of the teenage defenseman who were in the NHL in recent history weren't playing as or like top line defenseman at the time and many who weren't and became first pair were just getting started in the AHL just like OJ is.

No shit it would be nice if he was or we took Tkachuk or he didn't regress then get hurt.........reality deal with it

Reactions: bbud

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
i think i mostly agree but in relation to OJ it doesn't mean he's not gonna be a good defenseman.

Many of the teenage defenseman who were in the NHL in recent history weren't playing as or like top line defenseman at the time and many who weren't and became first pair were just getting started in the AHL just like OJ is.

No **** it would be nice if he was or we took Tkachuk or he didn't regress then get hurt.........reality deal with it

At this point, from what I've seen of him, I don't expect he'll develop into a top 4 defenseman. Likely a good bottom pairing defenseman, or perhaps a number 4 who's more of a complementary defenseman on that pair.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
He sounds like a guy a cup contending team trades a 2nd round pick for at the deadline to play on their third pairing. So few elements to his game.

I hope to god I’m proven wrong here but he’s done nothing to change my mind and that draft was three years ago. He needs to start dominating in the AHL. Can’t just be a complimentary player given the investment we made in him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Juolevi specific:

Vs Bellville
Juolevi - another good game, 20 mins, poise on the PP, some great plays.
Dalhen was good - chipped in a goal.

Thing I've liked about Juolevi- he's had a real presence out there. Closing out time and space, turns the puck(as in steals it) over then makes a good first pass out,. The poise is there.. can draw guys to him and makes the pass like on Boucher's goal - the little things are there appreciated.

Expectation: Take advantage of the practice days... get better week to week. Grow as a player and person, adjust. We will keep building. He's jumped right in and has looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad