Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. III | Off to Juo-tica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Be interested to see how he does in Utica. I'm pretty confident he'll see some NHL games this year I just hope they're earned rather than simply handed to him for PR reasons.

Reactions: elwin316

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Not too worried for this kid. He will find his footing in Utica adjust to playing against top line fringe NHLers.

I expect him to be on the bottom pairing come Christmas, wouldn't be surprised to see him with Tanev at the end of the season.

I agree with the notion that he isn't or never will be a #1 D he has the tools to be a reliable #2 behind Hughes, Tanev and Edler . He just lacks the high end skill to be considered top tier. He will be really good for us. Personally I project him as a Kevin Klein (with a better first pass) type player, quiet , defensively sound and does the little things right.

Give him time fam, you will all hate him less when he figures it out, I promise. You will still hate the pick at 5 but you can't blame the player.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Not too worried for this kid. He will find his footing in Utica adjust to playing against top line fringe NHLers.

I expect him to be on the bottom pairing come Christmas, wouldn't be surprised to see him with Tanev at the end of the season.

I agree with the notion that he isn't or never will be a #1 D he has the tools to be a reliable #2 behind Hughes, Tanev and Edler . He just lacks the high end skill to be considered top tier. He will be really good for us. Personally I project him as a Kevin Klein (with a better first pass) type player, quiet , defensively sound and does the little things right.

Give him time fam, you will all hate him less when he figures it out, I promise. You will still hate the pick at 5 but you can't blame the player.

If this trend continues, yeah the pick will be hated - deservedly so.

Real fault isn't in OJ, it's in our draft GOD of a GM.

But hey, let's wait and see again!
:facepalm:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He's gonna be a stud for us.
Love how calm he is. Excessively cocky at this stage. but as he develops, he'll be Casual Kev on roids..
Yeah guess theres still a lotta hope for a guy with that talent. Ups and downs and not producing like a normal top 5 pick but some guys are late bloomers i guess. Guess we can hope for that

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A big improvement from last camp.
Still has some things to work on but made huge strides under Salo. He needs to take a similar step this year in Utica.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
As good or better than half the D on the final roster. But given recent surgery and contract status, it is what it is. Should be up full time by the trade deadline at the latest. All the lefties are in the final year of their deals. Hughes next year. Changes are a coming.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
As good or better than half the D on the final roster.
That says a lot about the quality of the blueline that Benning has assembled. No, this isn’t a shot at Juolevi (who I still have high hopes for) but that a rookie coming off an major injury is still better than some of the trash on D at this point.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
That says a lot about the quality of the blueline that Benning has assembled. No, this isn’t a shot at Juolevi (who I still have high hopes for) but that a rookie coming off an major injury is still better than some of the trash on D at this point.
I dont want to turn this into a Benning discussion but after Tryamkin left and he couldn't undue the Gudbranson failure (Demers sais NO) He kinda blew the potential to do anything other than wait for developing prospects. Good UFA's IMO were not coming here and trading for a legit top4 costs a fortune.

People hate the Juolevi pick or just wanta troll it as a running diatribe against Benning but OJ looked good to me this camp. People are losing their minds over the Kopitar goal which was more (egregious for Gudbranson and way less painful than Eriksson just letting Rattie skate to the slot untouched to score) and some board battles but he already looked like one of the most competent defenseman going forward and i like to bet he's an upgrade on all of our PP quarterbacks currently wearing blue and green.

I fully expected him to play gingerly this pre season after a major back surgery and i find it entertaining how many are microscoping his lack of physicality right now. He's gonna be a good player for us.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I honestly don't know how anyone could have watched Juolevi's two games this preseason and come to the conclusion that he "looked good". Hell, the fact that he was only played two games pretty sums up where management/coaching think he is.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
His good plays were more numerous than his bad plays and those bad plays have to do with a lack of physicality which could be reasonably explained away by his back injury in the summer and it being a meaningless preseason game

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
His good plays were more numerous than his bad plays and those bad plays have to do with a lack of physicality which could be reasonably explained away by his back injury in the summer and it being a meaningless preseason game

He looked physically overwhelmed and slow at times. He also looked disinterested and unwilling to engage in the play at times.

And this is reasonably explained because of his back injury? Did his back injury have a retroactive effect on training camp last year where he displayed the same issued? Are preseason games meaningless to players trying to make the NHL?

Your post is so unbelievably illogical that I can only conclude that you are again posting intentionally stupid things in an attempt to troll this subforum.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Your post is so unbelievably illogical that I can only conclude that you are again posting intentionally stupid things in an attempt to troll this subforum.[/QUOTE said:
He might be wrong, but there's nothing illogical about the post, much less "unbelievably" illogical or intentionally stupid. Juolevi might be behind and tentative because of his injury. That's an obviously logical possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->