Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
If they want Myers, take him. Honestly I don’t think they would take Schmidt or Myers. They can get the same level of D from the other teams and they will be younger amd less anchory.
I can see them taking Schmidt if he was left unprotected. Pretty good player, not crazy overpaid like Myers and helluva guy! Canucks will protect him in any event because, really, who the hell else is worthy of a protection slot?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I can see them taking Schmidt if he was left unprotected. Pretty good player, not crazy overpaid like Myers and helluva guy! Canucks will protect him in any event because, really, who the hell else is worthy of a protection slot?
I mean exposing Pearson, Holtby, Myers should be the thing to do. Just force Seattle to take one of those bad contracts.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I mean exposing Pearson, Holtby, Myers should be the thing to do. Just force Seattle to take one of those bad contracts.

Could be wrong, but I thought he got some form of expansion/movement protection in his contract, as far fetched as giving a player of Pearson’s ilk movement protection sounds (on top of the already bad term/cap).

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In comparing 'draft busts' throughout Canucks history, it's looking more and more like Juolevi will occupy a pretty rarified atmosphere.

The Canucks have drafted a few guys in the first round who never played a full season in the NHL--Dan Woodley and Jason Herter come to mind.

But for guy drafted fifth overall, Juolevi might be the most disappointing. And it really hurts because the blueline is one area of glaring weakness for the Canucks.

And to insult to injury, a few of the d-men drafted in 2016 like McAvoy, Chychrun and Sergachev are already impact blueliners on their respective teams and top-four guys for years to come.

People compare Juolevi to Virtanen, but you really can't put them in the same category as draft busts. Virtanen has played a lot more games and still has some value in the trade market.

I doubt the Canucks could get anything for Juolevi right now.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Uh yes they caused issues this year, his inability to pivot was basically his only issue.

Juolevi isn't a case of waiting for "development", it's a matter of whether you can solve the skating disability his injuries caused post-draft. It's the opposite of a development thing.
Posting the reply here cause it should be posted here.

Yes this is it. If he can figure it out i see no reason he cant be like at worst a number 6. But he really has to figure it out. If he doesnt he is as good as dont in the league.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
In comparing 'draft busts' throughout Canucks history, it's looking more and more like Juolevi will occupy a pretty rarified atmosphere.

The Canucks have drafted a few guys in the first round who never played a full season in the NHL--Dan Woodley and Jason Herter come to mind.

But for guy drafted fifth overall, Juolevi might be the most disappointing. And it really hurts because the blueline is one area of glaring weakness for the Canucks.

And to insult to injury, a few of the d-men drafted in 2016 like McAvoy, Chychrun and Sergachev are already impact blueliners on their respective teams and top-four guys for years to come.

People compare Juolevi to Virtanen, but you really can't put them in the same category as draft busts. Virtanen has played a lot more games and still has some value in the trade market.

I doubt the Canucks could get anything for Juolevi right now.

Pretty sure Virtanens trade value is completely dead at this point. He’s nowhere near a good enough player to make up for the serious off ice issues. If another GM actually trades something for him that GM is a f***ing moron and deserves a public flogging.

Reactions: LordBacon

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Both of their trade values are dead right now. Jake...cuz he is Jake. I have been up and down on Juolevi, think he needs to play more to establish himself..... but I cant shake that recent play, getting completely walked on zone entry then standing around not knowing what to do as Calgary scored

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is one example of where exchanging Juolevi for another team's failed prospect, might actually make a lot of sense for Benning. Based on his usage this season, it's obvious Green isn't really that high on him....and now that the coach has officially been returned, I doubt he'll get any more opportunity here.

Rather than have him on a yo-yo between the big club on Abbotsford, better to try to get something in exchange.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pretty sure Virtanens trade value is completely dead at this point. He’s nowhere near a good enough player to make up for the serious off ice issues. If another GM actually trades something for him that GM is a f***ing moron and deserves a public flogging.

there is only one GM in the league whose profile suggests that he'd take a flyer on virtanen in an honest i'm-gonna-give-you-a-thing-for-your-thing trade

virtanen is clearly in the scrap heap reclamation project period of his career. i can see a GM taking him either for a cap dump or for a minor leaguer with salary retained. but most likely, he'll find one or two more chances with NHL teams as a league minimum after a buyout or perhaps termination. he'll probably have to work his way into any lineup, possibly from the AHL. then it's off to the swiss or german league.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Someone else's refuse (if it's a former fairly high 1st rounder) will often get many more chances. Less of a chance though a team takes a flyer on a guy set to make $3 million in salary next season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
there is only one GM in the league whose profile suggests that he'd take a flyer on virtanen in an honest i'm-gonna-give-you-a-thing-for-your-thing trade

virtanen is clearly in the scrap heap reclamation project period of his career. i can see a GM taking him either for a cap dump or for a minor leaguer with salary retained. but most likely, he'll find one or two more chances with NHL teams as a league minimum after a buyout or perhaps termination. he'll probably have to work his way into any lineup, possibly from the AHL. then it's off to the swiss or german league.
Nobody is going to make an offer for Virtanen until his case is clear.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Benning said Juolevi was hit really hard by COVID. Lost "10 to 15" pounds. They guy can't buy a break.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I dont think anyone should overvalue play in garbage time of the season (post elimination). Juolevi had a good season but a bad last couple games when it didnt matter. Was definitely serviceable and steady for most of the time he was out there. If we are going to say hes horrible because of the last few games then I guess Highmore is a top 6 goalscorer then.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I dont think anyone should overvalue play in garbage time of the season (post elimination). Juolevi had a good season but a bad last couple games when it didnt matter. Was definitely serviceable and steady for most of the time he was out there. If we are going to say hes horrible because of the last few games then I guess Highmore is a top 6 goalscorer then.
Honesty don’t see him being more than a 6th or 7th guy. Guy can’t skate, if he could’ve fixed his skating he would’ve fixed it already. It’s not going to happen…

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Benning said Juolevi was hit really hard by COVID. Lost "10 to 15" pounds. They guy can't buy a break.
Benning is also a known liar. It's clear that Rathbone has surpassed Juolevi(and Benning loves his vets, so moving forward with 3 really young Left side Dmen is really unlikely). It's highly probable that Benning is just throwing shade in a lame attempt to up Juolevi's trade value before the inevitable - Juolevi for a bag of pucks- trade.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
He's the 3rd-best U-23 LS puck-moving defender on the team. There is not a future for him here, unless the fact that he's a Benning Baby and Rathbone is a Brackett guy means that Benning just keeps doubling down.

Dont disagree that hes worse than Hughes and Rathbone, but that doesnt mean hes horrible. He could easily be a third pairing guy for this team.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Benning is also a known liar. It's clear that Rathbone has surpassed Juolevi(and Benning loves his vets, so moving forward with 3 really young Left side Dmen is really unlikely). It's highly probable that Benning is just throwing shade in a lame attempt to up Juolevi's trade value before the inevitable - Juolevi for a bag of pucks- trade.

I feel that this is greatly overestimating Jim Benning's negotiating ability. Normally he just announces when he's in a weak position and gives the player away.

Dont disagree that hes worse than Hughes and Rathbone, but that doesnt mean hes horrible. He could easily be a third pairing guy for this team.

He actually had a decent year given where he was heading in, but really his best-case is to be a Lukas Krajicek-type journeyman 3rd pairing guy.

And given how this team is built, surely that will have to be somewhere else.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
But he can't be.

You can get away with having one of Hughes/Rathbone eat minutes against an opposition's second liners but you can't have both of them do it which is exactly what you'd have if you have Juolevi in that backline.

We literally only have one guy who I trust playing against an opponent's top nine right now and can 50/50 or better in goals/shot rates and that's Schmidt.

Move Myers and Juolevi and sign 3 defensive defensemen.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The guy can't pivot while skating backwards, that Leivo goal was just brutal to watch. That'll be my lasting memory of this guy if he gets moved this summer.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad