Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Loved the ice water in his veins at the offensive blue line, playing his NHL debut, with the playoffs on the line.

Still think there is a top 4 dman in there if he can re-build the body and stay healthy. Guy is a terrific puck mover, and will fit in well with the Canucks offensive attack.

Would not dress Benn over Juolevi in these playoffs.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Can anyone shed some light on Green's comment about Juolevi "playing heavier than we expected"?

pretzel

May 5, 2017
Was happy with his play in sheltered minutes for sure. Especially after years of talk that he's not an NHL calibre defenseman. Now that he's gotten his feet wet, hopefully he stays confident and healthy and sees some more action in the playoffs. Would be huge for him coming into next season's training camp.

If anything, guy at least knows how to defer to Pettersson already :laugh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Olli has put on some size apparently. Built up the physique and is a heavier, stronger player than what they saw at training camp.

May also be referring to his style of play, which is adding defensive elements and shot blocking etc...
OJ was 6’2 just under 180 lbs when drafted in 2016 right? Based on his frame, he would likely fill out similar to Bieksa at 6’1, 197 Lbs though likely a couple of pounds light given his style of game.

OJ doesn’t have the girth that Edler and Ohlund have. Even Lumme was listed at 213 lbs in his playing days.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
OJ was 6’2 just under 180 lbs when drafted in 2016 right? Based on his frame, he would likely fill out similar to Bieksa at 6’1, 197 Lbs though likely a couple of pounds light given his style of game.

OJ doesn’t have the girth that Edler and Ohlund have. Even Lumme was listed at 213 lbs in his playing days.

He was listed 200lbs at the start of the season. Would guess he’s probably walking around at around 210...

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
OJ plays 6 sheltered minutes and takes a hit once and all of a sudden has fixed his longstanding weaknesses with physical play. And also has put on 10 pounds of PURE MUSCLE in less than a year.

Ok.

Nobody said he fixed his long-standing weaknesses.

Yes, Juolevi has put on muscle this season. And was listed at 200lbs in September.

Do the math.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
OJ plays 6 sheltered minutes and takes a hit once and all of a sudden has fixed his longstanding weaknesses with physical play. And also has put on 10 pounds of PURE MUSCLE in less than a year.

Ok.

Or maybe he's finally had some extended time to rest, recover and rehab after what has been an injury filled last couple of seasons?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Ok.
No one said any of this.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Ok.
Green, in his post game presser, actually mentioned the coaches didn’t realize how heavy a game OJ plays. Six minutes is a start. I suspect his minutes will go up. And playing PK is not sheltered.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
There was also another report before last night stating Juolevi put on muscle over the last several months.

When someone states a player put on mass/size/muscle, they’re usually not talking about 2 pounds.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He looked great in his limited minutes, I was impressed with his puck poise in the offensive zone and actually looks to make plays rather than just trying to dump it around the corners. I think he will make the Canucks next season as the 3 LD.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There was also another report before last night stating Juolevi put on muscle over the last several months.

When someone states a player put on mass/size/muscle, they’re usually not talking about 2 pounds.
To me OJ looked like a tall skinny kid, when drafted (and even up to 2019) who needed to do a lot of physical maturing. He getting older now, and is filling out. He’s looking like an NHL D man fir sure, and because if his elite skills (and clearly high character and compete) should develop into a top four guy. Our left side of Hughes, Rathbone, and OJ looks fabulous for years to come.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
To me OJ looked like a tall skinny kid, when drafted (and even up to 2019) who needed to do a lot of physical maturing. He getting older now, and is filling out. He’s looking like an NHL D man fir sure, and because if his elite skills (and clearly high character and compete) should develop into a top four guy. Our left side of Hughes, Rathbone, and OJ looks fabulous for years to come.

It makes it easier for Edler to transistion out after his contract is up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Keep in mind that it’s one thing to put on weight to begin a season but being able to carry it throughout a season is another step.

think I heard Seguin say that he typically dropped about 10 pounds from the start to end of the season. So he changed up his nutrition and exercise to try to carry his weight throughout the season.

surprised that OJ is that heavy. Doesn’t seem on paper to fit his style of play. Lidstrom was in the low 190’s for his career I believe in a more big heavy league.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Olli doesn’t have very broad shoulders, and has always looked under developed in the upper body. But he has big legs for a tall guy. Even when he was 185 as a teenager, he had thick legs.

I suspect he plays at 6’2, 210lbs once fully matured. Sounds like he might already be there.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Ok.
I think it’s more than the one game. He clearly had a really good camp and jumped over a few D prospects in the depth list. He looks like his skating and mobility has improved and that’s probably from finally getting an extended period off to work out and recover from some pretty major injuries.
If it was just a six minute game then you’re right it’s a bit of an overreaction but it’s been building since camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad