Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Aside from his knee on Hyman, I don't see many body checks from Edler. It's pretty clear that Juolevi has already passed Edler and has way higher capabilities when it comes to play-making, passing, puck skills, and skating. Edler has like 1 inch and 20 pounds on Olli Juolevi, that's it.

I love Edler and it sucks that he can't score 1 goal this season to reach 100 career goals. It doesn't matter to Eddie though, he doesn't cheat offensively and he stays close to the net to help the goalie.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Can you suggest a valid reason not to play Juolevi now that the team is officially eliminated over a 35 year old who looks like he is skating in sand? Given that you are trying to salvage a #5 draft pick and trying to see what you have for next year?

Teams don't scratch their top players. How often have you seen teams scratch their top pairing Dman? Usually the discussion involves teams preparing for the playoffs and even then you'll much more likely see reduced minutes rather than sitting out games.

Edler may also be playing his last games as a Vancouver Canuck and deserves to end his career here on the ice rather than off it.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
To me these last few games feel a lot like preseason. Not meaningful, other than getting ready for the season. I expect Green to have what he thinks will be opening night 21/22 in the line up at least 3 or 4 times over the next 6 games. That is:

Hughes-Schmidt
Rathbone-Hamonic
Juolevi-Myers

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
I think this will be a huge Offseason for Juolevi. With him healthy he should go for some intense skating and endurance trainning. If he can get those to NHL levels the rest should comes, but he really needs to master those two facets of his game. Especially as his Hockey IQ is good enough so unlike virtanen he will have the toolbox for his tools to be placed in.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I’m still cautiously optimistic on OJ48. He needs to work on his mobility, that’s the main part. Once addressed he will be more effective out there and get more minutes , in turn his confidence and there grows and everything else will fall into place.

I don’t see why he can’t become a steady if not unspectacular 2nd pair d with a good outlet pass, and good vision in the ozone. He gets his shot off pretty well from the point.

Obviously in hindsight it wasn’t the best pick. Not necessarily Tkachuk, but the heaps of other great dmen available (McAvoy, Sergachev, Chychrun, Girard).

Still injuries have derailed his development, even if he was the wrong pick this fact shouldn’t be overlooked. I suppose he’s in the same camp as Nolan Patrick?

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
For some reason there is no Game Thread so i will post it here:

Surprised they still aren't sitting Eddy.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It has been confirmed Juolevi was sat for cap reasons. Instead we got to witness Chatfield for like 15 games. That isn’t to say Juolevi is anything special but he was out of the lineup and others in purely for cap reasons and he is certainly better than Chatfield. Neither one should be getting NHL time though.

That Leivo driveby does it for me.

I am officially jumping off this bus.

I dont think Juolevi will be a regular NHL player.

That was an embarrassing attempted pivot for lower level beer league. He literally looked like a guy facing his first rush against at D and attempting that turn for the first time. Seriously, that’s what it looks like when people are first learning to transition from backwards to forward skating. He’s supposed to be a professional and I wish I could just chalk it up to a one off stumble but at this point you can’t. It was terrible and he’s had plenty of time post injury to sort that out if it was going to be sorted out. Hell he had plenty of time pre-injury....

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I knew this was a bad pick the moment I watched some Knights games and saw Bouchard and Mete surpassing the guy in 2016-2017.

Taking a step back in your D+1 year is never a good sign.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
I love his first pass out of the zone but other than perhaps developing into a penalty killer, I have come to the same conclusion as many of you - he simply won't develop into anything more than a #6 or 7 D. I wouldn't even bother protecting him which begs the question - who on D do we actually want to protect??? Myers is a salary cap anchor but can still be an effective player. Same with Schmidt. We can probably expose both without losing either. Hell, maybe we just don't expose anyone on D!

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I love his first pass out of the zone but other than perhaps developing into a penalty killer, I have come to the same conclusion as many of you - he simply won't develop into anything more than a #6 or 7 D. I wouldn't even bother protecting him which begs the question - who on D do we actually want to protect??? Myers is a salary cap anchor but can still be an effective player. Same with Schmidt. We can probably expose both without losing either. Hell, maybe we just don't expose anyone on D!

They'll get Gudbranson back to clear the crease, and then when the crease is cleared he'll scream "time out" and sprint off the ice, and Juolevi can come in to make the first pass, and then when he's done that he'll shuffle off, and Ballard will come out of retirement to skate the puck through the neutral zone, and then Jiri Slegr will tag in to unleash an absolute rocket that goes over the net, over the glass, through the netting, and into orbit. Can't lose the game if there's no pucks.

It's all about specialization.

Last edited:

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
They'll get Gudbranson back to clear the crease, and then when the crease is cleared he'll scream "time out" and sprint off the ice, and Juolevi can come in to make the first pass, and then when he's done that he'll shuffle off, and Ballard will come out of retirement to skate the puck through the neutral zone, and then Jiri Slegr will tag in to unleash an absolute rocket that goes over the net, over the glass, through the netting, and into orbit. Can't lose the game if there's no pucks.

It's all about specialization.
I love this post! Thanks for making me laugh!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It has been confirmed Juolevi was sat for cap reasons. Instead we got to witness Chatfield for like 15 games. That isn’t to say Juolevi is anything special but he was out of the lineup and others in purely for cap reasons and he is certainly better than Chatfield. Neither one should be getting NHL time though.

That was an embarrassing attempted pivot for lower level beer league. He literally looked like a guy facing his first rush against at D and attempting that turn for the first time. Seriously, that’s what it looks like when people are first learning to transition from backwards to forward skating. He’s supposed to be a professional and I wish I could just chalk it up to a one off stumble but at this point you can’t. It was terrible and he’s had plenty of time post injury to sort that out if it was going to be sorted out. Hell he had plenty of time pre-injury....

Jim benning f*** ups are more than meets the eye. What a clown.

Reactions: LordBacon

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Huge off season for olli, if he can’t improve his skating he’s as good as done in the nhl.

Hope he figures it out because he has all the other tools you look for in a Defenseman. Personally I dont think he will disappoint but we will see how he looks in Sept

Reactions: LordBacon

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

There is no way in Hell Seattle doesnt take a top 4 defenseman who can play big minutes and can get 30 points. Like 0% chance

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Caught a portion of the Caps-Bruins playoff game tonight.....best guy on the ice for either team was Charlie McAvoy, drafted six spots after Juolevi in 2016........It's enough to make you want to cry.

Reactions: Mr4legs

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
There is no way in Hell Seattle doesnt take a top 4 defenseman who can play big minutes and can get 30 points. Like 0% chance
If they want Myers, take him. Honestly I don’t think they would take Schmidt or Myers. They can get the same level of D from the other teams and they will be younger amd less anchory.

Reactions: Lupuls Grit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->