Olli Juolevi makes his NHL debut

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Anyone have Juolevis War graph thing. Like the one posted for myers in the Rathbone thread? I cant seem to find it.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
anyone think he can eventually be a solid 5/6 who can at times play up in case of injury?

if i were the canucks i would make it clear to him that if he wants a job in the nhl he needs to become defensively sound, and that he wont be an offensive dman here. would be awesome if he slowly developed into a salo type - good all around 3/4 dman who could play on the pp and pk. easy sound plays with minimal mistakes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just brutal. Absolutely pathetic. Stunt a top 10 pick's development, just to save a few bucks... and all because they vastly overpay scrubs that aren't even nhl calibre.

Worst-ran team in pro sports, by a long shot

screwing up a 5th overall and 6th overall picks in 2/7 draft is something we cannot afford considering how little picks we obtained.

Are we even sure that the Canucks are holding Juolevi back from getting his bonus? Not like Juolevi was a regular in the lineup. As it stands, it's either Juolevi or Rathbone and I want both players to get more games.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
anyone think he can eventually be a solid 5/6 who can at times play up in case of injury?

if i were the canucks i would make it clear to him that if he wants a job in the nhl he needs to become defensively sound, and that he wont be an offensive dman here. would be awesome if he slowly developed into a salo type - good all around 3/4 dman who could play on the pp and pk. easy sound plays with minimal mistakes.

Yes. I think he is still part of the future plans here, and I think his NHL potential tops out at what you’ve described in bold.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

Juolevi has pretty good defensive numbers for a bottom pairing d. Granted its a short sample size and, he didn't play a lot of minutes. He really should of played more this year to see what we have but, he wasn't able to because of cap reasons.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Yes. I think he is still part of the future plans here, and I think his NHL potential tops out at what you’ve described in bold.

He also brings PK upside...which will be key if Edler walks/retires. Hughes and Rathbone are our PP guys moving forward, while Juolevi could fill our need for a PK dman going forward.

Potential D/PK pairings next season without Edler/his replacement?

Hughes, Hamonic
Rathbone, Schmidt
Juolevi, Myers

PK 1
Schmidt, Hamonic
PK 2
Juolevi, Myers

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just brutal. Absolutely pathetic. Stunt a top 10 pick's development, just to save a few bucks... and all because they vastly overpay scrubs that aren't even nhl calibre.

The Canucks are pinching pennies on Juolevi's bonus money rather than play him.....meantime they're happily writing checks for Eriksson to cool his heels on the taxi squad; and Baertschi to suit up with the Utica Comets every night.

This was supposed to be the year that Juolevi made a big leap in his development. But the Canucks apparently would rather cheapen out on his bonus money and sit him in the press-box.

What an organization!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Canucks are pinching pennies on Juolevi's bonus money rather than play him.....meantime they're happily writing checks for Eriksson to cool his heels on the taxi squad; and Baertschi to suit up with the Utica Comets every night.

This was supposed to be the year that Juolevi made a big leap in his development. But the Canucks apparently would rather cheapen out on his bonus money and sit him in the press-box.

What an organization!

Your comparison here is like saying a guy is pinching pennies with his girlfriend while happily paying spousal support to his ex wife.

C'mmon man. The Canucks aren't happy paying Eriksson and Baertschi to do what they do.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Your comparison here is like saying a guy is pinching pennies with his girlfriend while happily paying spousal support to his ex wife.

C'mmon man. The Canucks aren't happy paying Eriksson and Baertschi to do what they do.
And your point is? Juolevi is supposed to happy that he's not in the lineup because the Canucks don't want to pay his bonus money....for no other reason than they completely butchered the salary cap.

These players and their agents aren't stupid. They know that he isn't playing because Benning and the Canucks have some of the worst contracts in the entire NHL.

But I suppose their decision to sit him and save his bonus money, pretty well sums up what they think of Juolevi as a prospect.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
And your point is? Juolevi is supposed to happy that he's not in the lineup because the Canucks don't want to pay his bonus money....for no other reason than they completely butchered the salary cap.

These players and their agents aren't stupid. They know that he isn't playing because Benning and the Canucks have some of the worst contracts in the entire NHL.

But I suppose their decision to sit him and save his bonus money, pretty well sums up what they think of Juolevi as a prospect.

I'm just taking a page out of your playbook when you said the Canucks are happy paying Eriksson and Baertschi to be on/in the taxi squad/AHL. Should be self-explanatory.

Juolevi has been sitting in favour of Edler, Schmidt, Myers Hughes, Hamonic, and Benn when he was here. Clearly before we even became aware of the +/- bonuses YOU were not suggesting that Juolevi was held back because the Canucks were penny pinching. So these conspiracy theories to me are just that. Go look through this thread. Who here as seriously wondered why Green isn't playing Juolevi? Did you after seeing Green trot out Chatfield instead of giving a game to Rathbone at the start of the season?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong

Hands out over valued contract like f***ing candy but refuses to let kids earn some performance bonuses.
That’s the ideology behind JB’s school of cap management

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hope Juolevi plays but I care not at all if he gets a bonus or not. His value now is as a low paid player with upside to play above his pay. The lower his pat the better chance of doing that. I think Canucks may be protecting him wanting him to stay healthy for a whole year in his development. To me he has the ability to be in the lineup every night.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I'd play him over Edler is the 2nd game of the 3 back-to-backs we have left, so tomorrow, Sunday, and Wednesday.

Maybe the 2nd game of the first two and the 1st game of the last one. That last game might be his last in a Vancouver Uni and I think Eddie deserves to play in that season ending game. That is just me though

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
^i think Edler should play in all of the remaining games. Hes sitting at 99 goals, it would be nice for him to get his 100. Would be a nice send off. Someone else can come out of the lineup for OJ

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'm just taking a page out of your playbook when you said the Canucks are happy paying Eriksson and Baertschi to be on/in the taxi squad/AHL. Should be self-explanatory.

Juolevi has been sitting in favour of Edler, Schmidt, Myers Hughes, Hamonic, and Benn when he was here. Clearly before we even became aware of the +/- bonuses YOU were not suggesting that Juolevi was held back because the Canucks were penny pinching. So these conspiracy theories to me are just that. Go look through this thread. Who here as seriously wondered why Green isn't playing Juolevi? Did you after seeing Green trot out Chatfield instead of giving a game to Rathbone at the start of the season?

Can you suggest a valid reason not to play Juolevi now that the team is officially eliminated over a 35 year old who looks like he is skating in sand? Given that you are trying to salvage a #5 draft pick and trying to see what you have for next year?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Can you suggest a valid reason not to play Juolevi now that the team is officially eliminated over a 35 year old who looks like he is skating in sand? Given that you are trying to salvage a #5 draft pick and trying to see what you have for next year?

Maybe not valid, but Edler deserves to play a few (that's why I suggested playing Olli on the back-to-backs), and as @bobbyb2009 mentioned...Edler should get the final game as it could be his last as a Canuck. It would reflect poorly on the organization to just healthy scratch one of the best dman, and most loyal Canucks of all time.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe not valid, but Edler deserves to play a few (that's why I suggested playing Olli on the back-to-backs), and as @bobbyb2009 mentioned...Edler should get the final game as it could be his last as a Canuck. It would reflect poorly on the organization to just healthy scratch one of the best dman, and most loyal Canucks of all time.

That’s fine but he looks like he could use a night or two off and there is no excuse for Juolevi to sit out the rest of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad