Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Andrew Gross just wrote out Trotz' explanation for why Wahlstrom doesn't get much playing time with Barzal.

I'll take the long answer and try to summarize.

Wahlstrom is improving his defensive game, but Barzal is a lot less predictable than someone like Pageau or Nelson, so it requires more attention to detail to play with someone like that. Wahlstrom is there yet but is continuing to improve, getting spot duty with different forwards so he learns how to be more than just a goal scorer.

Trotz hopes Wahlstrom will become a top-line forward
Trotz: "‘I’m a shooter; get me the puck and I’m going to score.’ There’s a lot more to the game than that one element."

Not around here there's not. :laugh:

Reactions: TMI and PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Trotz: "‘I’m a shooter; get me the puck and I’m going to score.’ There’s a lot more to the game than that one element."

Not around here there's not. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think his comments about Barzal being a wildcard also give insight into why players struggle playing next to him sometimes, especially in his earlier years. He does weird shit with the puck and it's hard to adjust or anticipate that and know where to be.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

I think his comments about Barzal being a wildcard also give insight into why players struggle playing next to him sometimes, especially in his earlier years. He does weird shit with the puck and it's hard to adjust or anticipate that and know where to be.
In other words Barzal is a big pain in the ass to play alongside. :sarcasm:

Reactions: doublechili

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

I think it also explains a lot about why he likes smart vets like Lee, Bailey and even Komarov with Barzal over the more obvious choices.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The biggest thing that worries me about Wahlstrom is his play along the boards. For a big guy, he loses a lot of battles, and we've seen that he's not great at protecting himself.

I gotta say, though, that the decision to allow him to work up top on the PP has really made his skillset shine. Unlike Pulock, his ability to rotate, pass, get a variety of shots through makes him incredibly dangerous. His ability to send in a wrister with a quick flick to get it on net from up high is a huge asset.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
In other words Barzal is a big pain in the ass to play alongside. :sarcasm:
But, he just needs a winger to play with and he'll be better. Yeah, when one guy goes on an ice capades session while the other guys are trying to play hockey, might be a bit different for anyone to have success like that. But, hey, Barzal should just be Barzal and it will be just fine.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
But, he just needs a winger to play with and he'll be better. Yeah, when one guy goes on an ice capades session while the other guys are trying to play hockey, might be a bit different for anyone to have success like that. But, hey, Barzal should just be Barzal and it will be just fine.
Barzal needs somebody who can read the game exactly like he does. Boo on Lou for not finding such a player.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The biggest thing that worries me about Wahlstrom is his play along the boards. For a big guy, he loses a lot of battles, and we've seen that he's not great at protecting himself.
He will improve in both areas. I think he wins more than half his battles now, as opposed to earlier. He is not used to guys hitting hard enough to hurt him, figuring that out is crucial.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
He will improve in both areas. I think he wins more than half his battles now, as opposed to earlier. He is not used to guys hitting hard enough to hurt him, figuring that out is crucial.

Yeah this is what I’m seeing when he leaves himself open for hits. He seems to have the “biggest kid everywhere else I played… so I can easily withstand a hit” syndrome. Eric Lindross was the poster child of this.

That may work as a kid in lower leagues, but not pro leagues with grown men. I’m hoping he picks up on that before he suffers another concussion. Has one already from playing in Sweden.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I gotta say, though, that the decision to allow him to work up top on the PP has really made his skillset shine. Unlike Pulock, his ability to rotate, pass, get a variety of shots through makes him incredibly dangerous. His ability to send in a wrister with a quick flick to get it on net from up high is a huge asset.

This is something Wahlstrom has had to learn at the pro level. He never really had to do this at any other level in his life because of his size, skating, and skill so naturally it's going to take a little while.

He may never be Anders Lee along the boards, but I think he will improve (as long as puts in the work).

Reactions: FourRings

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
This is something Wahlstrom has had to learn at the pro level. He never really had to do this at any other level in his life because of his size, skating, and skill so naturally it's going to take a little while.

He may never be Anders Lee along the boards, but I think he will improve (as long as puts in the work).
I think he will. He seems like the type that is dedicated to his craft as we've seen him improve in other aspects that require "hard work".

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think he will. He seems like the type that is dedicated to his craft as we've seen him improve in other aspects that require "hard work".
I think Wahlstrom can be effective along the boards. He has the frame to be able to hold his own in a board battle for the puck. My issue with him is always that he keeps his head up so he doesn't get rocked there or going through open ice.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I think Wahlstrom can be effective along the boards. He has the frame to be able to hold his own in a board battle for the puck. My issue with him is always that he keeps his head up so he doesn't get rocked there or going through open ice.
Very true. Unfortunately, the only way to learn that lesson is to get your clock cleaned a time or two.

Reactions: MJF

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Wally can definitely start packing a punch now, but I wanna see him get more creative like we saw on Thursday. He's making himself known on and off the scoresheet, and that makes me very happy

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Barzal needs somebody who can read the game exactly like he does. Boo on Lou for not finding such a player.
His play is reminiscent of the Soviet Red Army teams style, this doesn't bode well for players that are accustomed to head manning the puck jumping in and out of holes AKA the North American style of play. That is why a Euro-player like Forsberg would probably mesh with Barzal's skill set .

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
His play is reminiscent of the Soviet Red Army teams style, this doesn't bode well for players that are accustomed to head manning the puck jumping in and out of holes AKA the North American style of play. That is why a Euro-player like Forsberg would probably mesh with Barzal's skill set .

When Ladd was healthy, he did well with Ladd. He did pretty well with Eberle for a long time. Both are standard North American style wingers. (Even with Eberle's mitts/inability to win battles, he always played as positional a RW as Cal Clutterbuck. Even dating from Edmonton days.) But both were intelligent players who kept their stick on the ice, and were content for Barzal to make the plays for them. That's all that's necessary. I think when Wahlstrom merits enough trust to play away from Nelson or Pageau, and the ability to handle more icetime, he'll work fine with Barzal.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
boo on lou for that is right. boo on lou for not keeping eberle and leddy. boo on lou for raining money on palmieri and cizakas that could have been well better spent.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
boo on lou for that is right. boo on lou for not keeping eberle and leddy. boo on lou for raining money on palmieri and cizakas that could have been well better spent.
The vast majority of posters here preferred Lou kept Palmieri over Eberle when the season ended. Most people liked the term and cap hit when it was finally announced. Cizikas was a UFA, and most posters lauded Lou for getting him down to a lower AVV than his previous contract he signed under Snow.

Lou is not perfect, but since coming to the Isles, the culture has gone from country club to one of professionalism and winning. He is the 2 time GM of the year voted on by his peers. You recall how the Isles were managed with Garth fricken Snow? Would you prefer the Isles hire a Dumbass GM?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
The vast majority of posters here preferred Lou kept Palmieri over Eberle when the season ended. Most people liked the term and cap hit when it was finally announced. Cizikas was a UFA, and most posters lauded Lou for getting him down to a lower AVV than his previous contract he signed under Snow.

Lou is not perfect, but since coming to the Isles, the culture has gone from country club to one of professionalism and winning. He is the 2 time GM of the year voted on by his peers. You recall how the Isles were managed with Garth fricken Snow? Would you prefer the Isles hire a Dumbass GM?
not in the least. lou has done a masterful job turning this franchise around. not every move works out and with 20/20 hindsight it's fun to try and rewrite history and go back in time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad