Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He's the Isles most productive winger early on, it's only a matter of time I believe he will be playing with Barzal and Lee. I understand why some would want him to stay on the 3rd line, but I believe, if you do not have your most talented goal scorer, playing with your team's best playmaker. Then it is not maximizing both player's talents. Isles need to get every ounce of potential from their players. Put them in positions to succeed. I hope it happens if Wally maintains his play to earn a spot on the top line. And I think it would be a heck of a line that is extremely hard to defend.
Agreed I think eventually Wally will eventually be with Barzal and Lee. He’s got the best shot on the team and it’s not even close. With that release and power on his shot i would be surprised if he doesn’t crack 30 goals this season.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
This was posted on Twitter about Ovechkin. but look who is right there with all the big names.
FDbNMstXsAc61rQ

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
With his shot, it’s all about getting open to use it. That was Brett Hull’s MO.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
With his shot, it’s all about getting open to use it. That was Brett Hull’s MO.
Wahlstrom has to keep moving his feet to create space for himself. His linemates, especially Parise, are helping the cause.

Since Trotz came down hard on Wahlstrom during pre-season about standing still too much he has been the Islanders best forward since the start of the season.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
He really is a natural goal scorer.

Not like a Lee, hard to paint kind of powerforward. A genuine sniper. Haven't had one of those in a while it feels like.

Reactions: WangMustGo

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wahlstrom has to keep moving his feet to create space for himself. His linemates, especially Parise, are helping the cause.

Since Trotz came down hard on Wahlstrom during pre-season about standing still too much he has been the Islanders best forward since the start of the season.

The game where I thought he was the most lackluster was one of the games he scored in too, and that's what I've liked about his game this season so far. He's a threat always, but when he's doing the little things right he isn't liability which allows him to get more ice time.

Reactions: MJF

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Haven't seen a wrist shot like his in a while.

Alex Semin maybe was the last I can think of who could snap it like that.

Reactions: BillD

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So when do we start talking about giving the kid some prime time with the big boys? He's trending in becoming the Isles most productive goal scorer. I won't say player yet, he still needs to get there. But I would have no problem having him on a line with Barzal and Lee sometime this season.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
So when do we start talking about giving the kid some prime time with the big boys? He's trending in becoming the Isles most productive goal scorer. I won't say player yet, he still needs to get there. But I would have no problem having him on a line with Barzal and Lee sometime this season.

Why do we need to do this? It's always the same, someone is playing well so they must be put on the first line. Why? Just leave'em where he's having success. It's a long season and he's far from a consistent NHLer at this point, don't rock the boat. He's the beneficiary of two savvy veterans who are good defensively and great on the forecheck, he'd lose that playing with Barzal and he isn't consistent enough in that area to overcome that. Let them play the PP together and generate chances there, keep the depth scoring.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why do we need to do this? It's always the same, someone is playing well so they must be put on the first line. Why? Just leave'em where he's having success. It's a long season and he's far from a consistent NHLer at this point, don't rock the boat. He's the beneficiary of two savvy veterans who are good defensively and great on the forecheck, he'd lose that playing with Barzal and he isn't consistent enough in that area to overcome that. Let them play the PP together and generate chances there, keep the depth scoring.
I am a believer if a player shows they are a first line winger, or a 2nd line winger, they have earned more mins. Saying that, I want to win first and foremost. I believe improved play from the first line is essential. I don't think Bailey is a fit with Barzal. 2 playmakers on the same line. Palmieri has not scored, but Nelson and Beau seem to be playing well with their new linemate. I would be reluctant to shake that line up. Pageau finally got on the board last night, which is great, but Parise has not. Maybe Bailey's playmaking will spark them. I said this yesterday, for all things great about Pageau, playmaking is not his strongest suit. He is more of a shooter, 2 way presence, who is money on faceoffs. Quite simply, I want to max out the talent of the team, which in turn will make them better. We are 4-2-2, but really the team has not jelled yet. I don't see a drop off for Wally if he is moved higher in the line up. You have to have confidence in your development of your player. He's had a year on the 3rd line, I think he can handle it. If not, he can always be put back down in the line up. Fwds adapt quicker than D men IMO. Especially wingers who do not handle the Center's responsibility.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What's the over/under on how many games before people again start saying Lee is dragging down Mat Barzal? I'll set it at 2 games.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
What's the over/under on how many games before people again start saying Lee is dragging down Mat Barzal? I'll set it at 2 games.

Not gonna go that far (yet) but wouldn’t mind seeing a switch of Barzal and Pageau’s wings for a couple of games

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Nelson line scored 4 goals last game, probably not the time to shake things up there
Fair point. So by the same token, why would you mess with the 3rd line right now?

Maybe it is time to bring up Anatoly Golyshev.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Fair point. So by the same token, why would you mess with the 3rd line right now?

Maybe it is time to bring up Anatoly Golyshev.

Theres nowhere to put him until someone gets hurt.

As far as switching up Pageau and Barzal, it’s about getting Barzal, Lee and Bailey going. Parise-Barzal- Wahlstrom makes perfect sense to me - a guy that creates a ton of space for other players, a guy that can snipe from anywhere when given space, and a tenacious forecheck to make sure they have the puck as much as possible. But you’re right, nothing wrong with that third line either. Just seems like Lee (too slow, doesn’t shoot well) and Bailey (pass first mentality) don’t make sense qs linemates for Barzal.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Theres nowhere to put him until someone gets hurt.

As far as switching up Pageau and Barzal, it’s about getting Barzal, Lee and Bailey going. Parise-Barzal- Wahlstrom makes perfect sense to me - a guy that creates a ton of space for other players, a guy that can snipe from anywhere when given space, and a tenacious forecheck to make sure they have the puck as much as possible. But you’re right, nothing wrong with that third line either. Just seems like Lee (too slow, doesn’t shoot well) and Bailey (pass first mentality) don’t make sense qs linemates for Barzal.
Palmieri worked better on the first line as they were getting some nice scoring chances when he was there. The line seemed to have more north-south in them. While I don’t want to mess woth the 2nd line, when Nelson goes on one of his scoring binges I don’t think it matters if Palms or Bailey is the winger. I would move Palmieri back to L1. I think Lee will get more scoring chances with Palms crashing the net.

The way I see it Josh Bailey has been the odd duck in the lineup. It’s like a puzzle that has the same piece twice and is missing the final piece. I honestly would have no trouble moving him for defensive help. Trotz won’t sit him but Lou was prepared to lose him to Seattle.

If we moved Bailey then I’d put Wahlstrom on the 1st line and Golyshev with Pageau.

Reactions: TMI

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Andrew Gross just wrote out Trotz' explanation for why Wahlstrom doesn't get much playing time with Barzal.

I'll take the long answer and try to summarize.

Wahlstrom is improving his defensive game, but Barzal is a lot less predictable than someone like Pageau or Nelson, so it requires more attention to detail to play with someone like that. Wahlstrom is there yet but is continuing to improve, getting spot duty with different forwards so he learns how to be more than just a goal scorer.

But he’s learning. He’s getting shifts with Barzy here and there. He’s getting shifts with Pager. He’s getting shifts with Czarnik, who’s done a really good job for us. He’s getting shifts with Zach Parise. He’s got to continue to evolve his game by learning how to play with different sets of guys so he’s not just a ‘I’m a shooter; get me the puck and I’m going to score.’ There’s a lot more to the game than that one element.

Trotz hopes Wahlstrom will become a top-line forward

Reactions: saintunspecified

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad