Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
So, now Parise is considered a ‘better player’ - wow, this place has come a long way…

Hey genius, it was a point about how we worried about his Bridgeport output and some of us said it was more of a function of who he was playing with.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I loved seeing Wally's first goal last night. He was in perfect position to intercept the pass and the quick trigger beat Fleury before he could get set. The second was textbook for a sniper, that was in the center of the net with no chance for a post like so many others probably would have done.

As a kid he will have his moments, but he has flashed the ability to be that legit sniper this team has needed for basically forever. He needs more consistency and he will be a beast when he is fully ripe.

He's no Krapstov though.

Hehehehe

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Love Wally's confidence. He could downplay his goal celly's a bit lol.

As said, it's only a matter of time until he's up on the top line.

At this point, Palmeiri's better suited to the 3rd line, and that Super P line (Parise Pageau Palmeiri) would still be a very strong 3rd line.

I'd be curious to see how Barzal meshes with Wahlstrom. I think he'd get a lot of open space and Barzal would find him. Lee would pick up more rebounds with Wally shooting compared to how Palmeiri plays.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

At this point, Palmeiri's better suited to the 3rd line, and that Super P line (Parise Pageau Palmeiri) would still be a very strong 3rd line.

I'd be curious to see how Barzal meshes with Wahlstrom. I think he'd get a lot of open space and Barzal would find him. Lee would pick up more rebounds with Wally shooting compared to how Palmeiri plays.

Lee's garbage goal production is going to go wayyyyyyy down with Wally on the 1st line. Can't bang in a rebound, when it's already in the back of the net :)

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
Lee's garbage goal production is going to go wayyyyyyy down with Wally on the 1st line. Can't bang in a rebound, when it's already in the back of the net :)
Wally's a shooter, so I'm inclined to believe the opposite yes he'd score more often then others IMO but its likely your looking at more chances for Lee.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City

Not a bad thought, but I think I prefer to have Barzal and Wahlstrom separated to spread out the offense a bit.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
A side benefit of putting Wahlstrom on the top line is that they wouldn't have to mix up that line for the PP - just send them out.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I loved seeing Wally's first goal last night. He was in perfect position to intercept the pass and the quick trigger beat Fleury before he could get set. The second was textbook for a sniper, that was in the center of the net with no chance for a post like so many others probably would have done.

As a kid he will have his moments, but he has flashed the ability to be that legit sniper this team has needed for basically forever. He needs more consistency and he will be a beast when he is fully ripe.

He's no Krapstov though.
The thing for Wahlstrom is to skate hard in games so that he gets himself into the prime real estate to shoot his shot from. I didn’t check the chart but I’d say 5 of his 8 shots came from around the hash marks during even strength.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Wally is playing himself into playing higher in the line up.

For me, it is either on the Barzal line or the Nelson line.

Lee, Barzal, Wally
Beau, Nelson, Wally

Think Bailey with Pageau and Parise may make a good 3rd line.

ID line stays intact.

When Trotz shook up the lines last night, it resulted in a goal. The NHL is a continual league of adjustments.
No need to do that. The first line already creates a lot of scoring chances. Palmieri complements Lee and Baral perfectly. He crashes the crease and does the dirty work for them that Parise is doing for Pageau and Wahlly.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Wally's a shooter, so I'm inclined to believe the opposite yes he'd score more often then others IMO but its likely your looking at more chances for Lee.
yeah I know. I was just making a light hearted "joke" while praising Olivers elite shot. Of course Lee's production will go up playing with better players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No need to do that. The first line already creates a lot of scoring chances. Palmieri complements Lee and Baral perfectly. He crashes the crease and does the dirty work for them that Parise is doing for Pageau and Wahlly.
I thought the Barzal line were the best line through the first 2 games. Without Lee, it was not. But when Lee is back, it is a good #1 line. The line I would like to see more from is the Nelson line. This is where I think Bailey and Wally can be flipped. We will see, Trotz did mix up the lines in the Hawks game. He also likes set lines. I am not sure what people think of the Nelson line. Not that plus minus is everything, he and Bailey are a -9 on the season 5v5. Got to get them going.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I thought the Barzal line were the best line through the first 2 games. Without Lee, it was not. But when Lee is back, it is a good #1 line. The line I would like to see more from is the Nelson line. This is where I think Bailey and Wally can be flipped. We will see, Trotz did mix up the lines in the Hawks game. He also likes set lines. I am not sure what people think of the Nelson line. Not that plus minus is everything, he and Bailey are a -9 on the season 5v5. Got to get them going.

Our 2nd line was one of the best lines in hockey all last year. I think they gave up 6 ES goals against, which given the quality of competition is *crazy* good. But we've seen before that line combos can get stale, or stuck in a rut. I think that NYI are in a position to move their twingers up and down the 1st-3rd lines pretty much at will, and I don't have a problem with Trotz doing that. The only combo I'd stay away from is Bailey with Barzal. Everyone else can be shifted anywhere else IMO.

Reactions: TMI

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Our 2nd line was one of the best lines in hockey all last year. I think they gave up 6 ES goals against, which given the quality of competition is *crazy* good. But we've seen before that line combos can get stale, or stuck in a rut. I think that NYI are in a position to move their twingers up and down the 1st-3rd lines pretty much at will, and I don't have a problem with Trotz doing that. The only combo I'd stay away from is Bailey with Barzal. Everyone else can be shifted anywhere else IMO.
Yep, The Nelson line gets into ruts now and then. But they ultimately play well in the playoffs. When the team needs a kick, the Bailey for Wally switch may be the move. Pageau is like a security blanket, but he can also score 15 goals this year without PP time. Which is valuable for all the other things he does well for the team. Maybe a playmaker like Bailey and him can find chemistry. Both are responsible defensively also.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Give it time. Patience.
I have to say, I like everything just the way it is. We finally have three lines that can score on you at any time and from multiple players and in multiple ways. Then throw in the fully healthy 4th line and pencil them in for another twenty and hot damn.
Sure one or the other may hit a rut, but that's always going to happen somewhere in the continuum.
Just get me into the playoffs healthy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Even then, every team does shuffle guys around.

even the Bruins top line gets switched up

I don't mind shuffling the lines in the game, but there's no reason to do it after so few games when the team is clearly trying to get into a rhythm, and especially not with one of the most consistent lines year to year. How often is every line playing well for a team? It almost never happens but it doesn't stop people from trying to make it a thing. :laugh: We should all just enjoy that we have more than two lines that can contribute for once.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Bailey should have a seat if he keeps going through the motions.

But Trotz would never do that to Josh.

Last edited:

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I think Bailey should have a seat if he keeps going through the motions.

But Trotz would never do that to Josh.
Easy to send a message to a young player rarely do veteran coaches bench veteran players. Only coach I remember who used to bench even veterans was Keenan but he was nuts.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The second line will be fine, it's a proven line at this point. Some of you are way too eager to tweak things just to tweak them.

giphy.gif

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
And that Bailey does for Nelson and Beau. :naughty:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's the Isles most productive winger early on, it's only a matter of time I believe he will be playing with Barzal and Lee. I understand why some would want him to stay on the 3rd line, but I believe, if you do not have your most talented goal scorer, playing with your team's best playmaker. Then it is not maximizing both player's talents. Isles need to get every ounce of potential from their players. Put them in positions to succeed. I hope it happens if Wally maintains his play to earn a spot on the top line. And I think it would be a heck of a line that is extremely hard to defend.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1