Player Discussion: Oliver Wahlstrom

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The vast majority of posters here preferred Lou kept Palmieri over Eberle when the season ended. Most people liked the term and cap hit when it was finally announced. Cizikas was a UFA, and most posters lauded Lou for getting him down to a lower AVV than his previous contract he signed under Snow.

Lou is not perfect, but since coming to the Isles, the culture has gone from country club to one of professionalism and winning. He is the 2 time GM of the year voted on by his peers. You recall how the Isles were managed with Garth fricken Snow? Would you prefer the Isles hire a Dumbass GM?

No doubt, been though tons of inept years from Isles Gm's to 100% agree on this. This year is not going well, unfortunately. Tough tough league. I do like the Isles chances to retool thanks to our hall of fame GM and coach

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
No doubt, been though tons of inept years from Isles Gm's to 100% agree on this. This year is not going well, unfortunately. Tough tough league. I do like the Isles chances to retool thanks to our hall of fame GM and coach
it's just a disjointed season all the way around, 13 game road trip, varly not being ready on time and finding his sea legs during season, pulock injury, 3-4 games that should not have been played because of covid which turned a mini slump into a disaster, blowing some winnable games and leaving points on the table, martin not fully healthy off the bat,lee getting his legs back after last year, growing pains of young up and comers like dobson, wally, bellows, throw in the deaths of gillies and trotz' mom, it's really been a lost season.

14 pts behind boston with 4 in hand. not impossible. definiely need to scoreboard watch a little and win the games in front of them

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
After a good start, Just noticed Wally has scored 2 goals since Dec 9. He went 12 games goaless before scoring on Jan 30 and Feb 1 and is going on 9 games + without a goal. Streaky scorer on a team of streaky scorers.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
After a good start, Just noticed Wally has scored 2 goals since Dec 9. He went 12 games goaless before scoring on Jan 30 and Feb 1 and is going on 9 games + without a goal. Streaky scorer on a team of streaky scorers.
The free Wally contingent sure is quiet.

I love the kid and can’t wait for him to break out but the narrative Trotz was/is holding him back as if Olly doesn’t have warts in his game was a tired take

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I love the kid and can’t wait for him to break out but the narrative Trotz was/is holding him back as if Olly doesn’t have warts in his game was a tired take

Also, the power play that "got better" with Wahlstrom on it is somehow worse this year despite Wahlstrom getting more playing time. Lots of bad takes from people who love the kids.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI and MJF

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

Wally definitely has some hiccups on the ice, a few more than you would care to see, but thankfully they mostly seem to be mental miscues - like taking bad penalties.

These issues can usually be ironed out with proper coaching, practice, logging more minutes and having the game slow down, after playing in enough games.

In a season where the Isles are unlikely to make the playoffs now, it will be interesting to see if Trotz continues to give more ice time down the stretch to Wally (and Bellows, Salo, Aho, etc.).

Let them make their mistakes now, learn and grow. Just like they did with Dobson, sheltering him until they felt he was ready for more responsibilities.

There is nothing to lose, other than maybe a handful of games at the end of the season, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the Isles are chasing the highest draft pick.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Wally definitely has some hiccups on the ice, a few more than you would care to see, but thankfully they mostly seem to be mental miscues - like taking bad penalties.

These issues can usually be ironed out with proper coaching, practice, logging more minutes and having the game slow down, after playing in enough games.

In a season where the Isles are unlikely to make the playoffs now, it will be interesting to see if Trotz continues to give more ice time down the stretch to Wally (and Bellows, Salo, Aho, etc.).

Let them make their mistakes now, learn and grow. Just like they did with Dobson, sheltering him until they felt he was ready for more responsibilities.

There is nothing to lose, other than maybe a handful of games at the end of the season, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if the Isles are chasing the highest draft pick.
Yeah I agree with all this, but just pointing out that you agree Dobber got sheltered. And he’s killing it. I just don’t know why that’s not ok for Wahlstrom. Not saying you said that but people have.

But to expand, we’re seeing that with Aho getting a bunch of games and Greene sitting, Johnston over Martin and Wally/Bellows over Bailey.

I think it will continue especially once some guys get traded

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Wally is a shooter with an exceptional release/shot.
It appears that he is not getting chances/SOG much lately.
He may be getting more attention from checkers and has to find a way to get the puck on his stick in the O zone.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Definitely going through a flat patch.
Loved how excited he was for Bellows tho, they seem pretty tight.
Wally is a good teammate. I think he just needs to mature a bit

I do like catching glimpses of him on the bench bopping to the music they play on the P.A. system.

People forget that he's just 21.

As he grows up and into himself, I think he has elite goal scoring potential. Whether that materializes obviously remains to be seen

Hopefully he puts in the hard work necessary this off season to adjust and improve

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Like that Wally is becoming this sniper villain type. He does have that smug face sometimes. I do recall his last world juniors he was public enemy #1. Will have to keep his head up though

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
His play away from the puck has been noticeably better as of late and he's leaning (no pun intended) into being a guy who throws some punishing checks.

I'm glad to see he's stayed committed to Trotz's path of development (even if it is frustrating from a fan perspective).

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Like that Wally is becoming this sniper villain type. He does have that smug face sometimes. I do recall his last world juniors he was public enemy #1. Will have to keep his head up though
it fun funny to see him laughing in the penalty box after subban jumped him. can't remember who skated by and said something to him.... it probably was something like "we'll get him next time,"

don't care that subban went after him, but be a MAN and let the kid drop his gloves and then settle up and let the chips fall!

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
It’s nice to want this kid to become a big goal scorer and of course that’s what I want too however Wally could very easily become the next Sean Bergenheim or Kyle Okposo. He has some similarities to them

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It’s nice to want this kid to become a big goal scorer and of course that’s what I want too however Wally could very easily become the next Sean Bergenheim or Kyle Okposo. He has some similarities to them
He's just a babe in the woods at 21. Let's give him some time. He has 13 goals in less than 13 minutes of ice time per game. He is adjusting on the fly to probably the most difficult system in hockey AND is a plus 1 on the season.

The kid has talent, wants to learn, IS improving and it's not like he's got horrendous +/- like some of his detractors act.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
He has more potential than those two.

If Kyle Okposo had Wally's release, he'd have scored 40 more than once. KO at that age was a much more fluid, agile skater, and he could easily play 18-20 minutes without looking tired. (although he did have the same penchant for putting his head down). So, no, I don't think there's good reason to think Wahlstrom has more potential. I hope he'll be as good.

Bergenheim is another story. He was a very good athlete, and tried very hard.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I have seen Wally flick his wrists and score on wristers beating NHL goalies just crossing the blue line and I have seen him score goals in close around the paint. Kid has that "it factor" Hope he puts the work in and is focused this summer and listens to the hall of fame coach. It can go either way and he teases us the next few years, or he becomes that agitating 30 goal scorer the league will hate and we will love. LGI! Keep shooting kid, keep the head up

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Kyle Okposo had Wally's release, he'd have scored 40 more than once. KO at that age was a much more fluid, agile skater, and he could easily play 18-20 minutes without looking tired. (although he did have the same penchant for putting his head down). So, no, I don't think there's good reason to think Wahlstrom has more potential. I hope he'll be as good.

Bergenheim is another story. He was a very good athlete, and tried very hard.
I just think they are different players stylistically. But Wahlstrom's release and stride lead me to believe he has a higher ceiling that Okposo. Also Wahlstrom is 2-3 inches taller than Okposo.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I have seen Wally flick his wrists and score on wristers beating NHL goalies just crossing the blue line and I have seen him score goals in close around the paint. Kid has that "it factor" Hope he puts the work in and is focused this summer and listens to the hall of fame coach. It can go either way and he teases us the next few years, or he becomes that agitating 30 goal scorer the league will hate and we will love. LGI! Keep shooting kid, keep the head up
plus, i've noticed that he can put the puck on net from any angle and when covered tightly. i am an old school believer in the concept that good things happen when you get the puck towards the net

hopefully he will become a special offensive force for our NYI for years to come

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I just think they are different players stylistically. But Wahlstrom's release and stride lead me to believe he has a higher ceiling that Okposo. Also Wahlstrom is 2-3 inches taller than Okposo.
A part of his game that seems to be going unnoticed is his physical play, and I'm not just referring to that hit on Hughes. He frequently throws his weight around and as mentioned above he scores from everywhere he's also a better skater than what he gets credit for on this board. He's a goal scorer i.e. a shooter it's what many have been calling for. So let him be what he is, we have enough pass first players and plumbers. And lets not forget he's just now starting to play with Barzal, prior to this he was on the 3rd line and not getting many O-zone starts his ice time has always been limited compared to top 6 players.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
A part of his game that seems to be going unnoticed is his physical play, and I'm not just referring to that hit on Hughes. He frequently throws his weight around and as mentioned above he scores from everywhere he's also a better skater than what he gets credit for on this board. He's a goal scorer i.e. a shooter it's what many have been calling for. So let him be what he is, we have enough pass first players and plumbers. And lets not forget he's just now starting to play with Barzal, prior to this he was on the 3rd line and not getting many O-zone starts his ice time has always been limited compared to top 6 players.
GREAT observations. i have been spouting many of the same thoughts. i haven't done an "official" tally, but i have really noticed he's been racking up the hits lately, seems like ever since he's been put with barzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad