Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Wild

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Don't forget Zykov. Highly touted coming into the season. Played top line in Carolina registering 7 points in his last 10 games.

Oilers luck into grabbing him. They got lucky and still screwed it up, never giving him a chance on the top unit.

Now he's on a good Vegas team playing with Marchy and Wild Bill

A small move in the scheme of things but speaks volumes about how this team can not understand asset management
Zykov is a 40 game per year tweener who will be a footnote in the NHL within 2-3 years.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’d like to know that and for the entire season and last. It seems we’re always chasing tbe game early on. It’s becoming expected. They should just start each game 1-0 for the opposing team and not waste game time.
But then they would be down 2-0 after the first minute.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
You know things are bad when we're playing the Wild and no one has bothered to complain about how "boring" they are lol
I've never found them boring. I find it almost artistic how the whole team can be synchronized and play beautiful defensive hockey, especially at home. It's an element the Oilers have never possessed, even in the Gretzky era. It's refreshing to see a team focus on shutting down the opponent with a robotic systematic structure, rather than run, gun and have some fun. Same with Nashville, and the New Jersey of old.

Just like boxing, everyone finds Floyd Mayweather boring as hell (to most boxing fans). He rarely goes on the offensive, and just sits back, shoulder rolls with good head movement and counter punches. But he remains undefeated (50-0), and that's the only thing that matters.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Man that would be so funny. Chia's last three trade acquisitions would all in the AHL while still burning $4.225M of cap space. His total cap space being burned by players not even on the roster would be just shy $5.9M dollars, so basically Eberle or Hall's cap hit being used on players not even on the club, with us being on the hook for still $4.8M next year. Just wait until Kosko falters and that balloons further.

Meanwhile the guys given up in said trades are playing on the first line (Caggiula), contributing more offense than any one outside the oilers top 4 (Strome) or at least burning zero cap space while sucking. Total cap hit overall from the guys shipped out is only $1.275 more than the demoted cap hit value of all those players ($5.5 M).

Some article said it would be a PR nightmare if the did it and it would have been if Chia was around but most of us pretty much knew they were AHL fodder.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Not doubting that but Oilers committed to Kosko financially so it’s weird that the guy who’s out the door gets two starts in a row. Only reason I can think of is showcasing and a little damage control of Talbots feelings.

They've spent too much time assuaging Talbot's feelings.

They've both been bad but Talbot has been horrible for two seasons already. Any time he has a chance to take ownership of the net he shits the bed.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

North

Jun 25, 2009
Zykov is a 40 game per year tweener who will be a footnote in the NHL within 2-3 years.

Zykov has only played 4 games for Vegas and has a goal to show for it.

In 22 NHL games this season he has 4 points and is a -3. Not sure why someone would be so sad that he's gone.

MarkStreitPPGOD

Jan 27, 2019
No, you got **** on because you thought Koskinen might walk away from his NHL dream and the 13.5 million $$$'s that goes with it.

I'd encourage you to continue reading after finding something objectionable. Great way to escape that 'confirmation bias drug'

Half the idiots nitpicked 1 phrase as they have no reading comprehension. You just proved you can not understand context

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Oilers broke two records last night...

Fastest four goals against...2:48 minutes..
Most jerseys tossed in one game. 2

I love this team, but we are heading into a black hole..

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I've never found them boring. I find it almost artistic how the whole team can be synchronized and play beautiful defensive hockey, especially at home. It's an element the Oilers have never possessed, even in the Gretzky era. It's refreshing to see a team focus on shutting down the opponent with a robotic systematic structure, rather than run, gun and have some fun. Same with Nashville, and the New Jersey of old.

Just like boxing, everyone finds Floyd Mayweather boring as hell (to most boxing fans). He rarely goes on the offensive, and just sits back, shoulder rolls with good head movement and counter punches. But he remains undefeated (50-0), and that's the only thing that matters.

The Wild also don't even play like this anymore and haven't for years. They play a hard forechecking system that's pretty similar to Nashville since Laviolette got there. No one plays a full trap system anymore - even Hitch's Blues stopped doing it.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Talbot really starting again? Or did I dream that.

Makes sense they're trying to showcase him for the trade deadline. I'm confused as to why so many here are fuming because of this.

If the Oilers win their last three and are sitting in a wildcard spot things would be different. They know they're heading downhill with no brakes and Talbot hopefully will bring back some value to slow down this wreck Chiarelli drove over the cliff.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Talbot starting after his performance last game is either blatantly stupid or blatantly tanking.

He gave up questionable goals and very obviously gave up on the team and visa versa.

I honestly thought Talbot intentionally threw that last game. I would be investigating his gambling habits before even considering starting him again.

Nobody has faith in Talbot. The coaching using him to rally the team is feeble and I would bet a large sum of money is going to backfire in Minnesota.

space321

May 11, 2011
Zykov has only played 4 games for Vegas and has a goal to show for it.

In 22 NHL games this season he has 4 points and is a -3. Not sure why someone would be so sad that he's gone.

It's not about Zykov. It's about the principle of putting players in positions to succeed. At a certain point, the whole "you gotta earn your way up the line up" philosophy starts to deteriorate. Our bottom 9 (excluding our top 3 centres) are all terrible. None of them this season has "earned" their way to the top with the exception of Chiasson, who has now cooled off considerably. Players like Puljujarvi/Zykov/Caggiula/whoever should be given the opportunity to succeed before being banished to the shadow realm forever. Since Hitchcock has been here, Puljujarvi's been jerked up and down the lineup, Zykov was given 5 games of 4th line minutes and then waived, and Caggiula was shipped off to Chicago where he now has 5 points in 10 games because they gave him a chance.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad