Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Wild

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Makes sense they're trying to showcase him for the trade deadline. I'm confused as to why so many here are fuming because of this.

If the Oilers win their last three and are sitting in a wildcard spot things would be different. They know they're heading downhill with no brakes and Talbot hopefully will bring back some value to slow down this wreck Chiarelli drove over the cliff.

Have to think there's still very high pressure within the org to make the playoffs.

Playoff berth probably more important than upgrading a 5th rounder to a 4th for Talbot.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Have to think there's still very high pressure within the org to make the playoffs.

Playoff berth probably more important than upgrading a 5th rounder to a 4th for Talbot.
I don't think showcasing him is going to do anything more for his value - esp after that last game. He can be hot or cold, everyone knows that already. One or two more games shouldn't matter really.

Reactions: Consultant

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seriously, Talbot gets the start again? So do we sign him to an identical deal to Koskinen so that we have the same 2 goalies back next year and the cheap price of $9 million? Maybe he can **** the bed again and we have to waive him because there is no trade market for him.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Oilers: "Its on us. We have to find a way to turn this around and start winning games"

Oilers Fans:

b60.png

Last edited:

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's not about Zykov. It's about the principle of putting players in positions to succeed. At a certain point, the whole "you gotta earn your way up the line up" philosophy starts to deteriorate. Our bottom 9 (excluding our top 3 centres) are all terrible. None of them this season has "earned" their way to the top with the exception of Chiasson, who has now cooled off considerably. Players like Puljujarvi/Zykov/Caggiula/whoever should be given the opportunity to succeed before being banished to the shadow realm forever. Since Hitchcock has been here, Puljujarvi's been jerked up and down the lineup, Zykov was given 5 games of 4th line minutes and then waived, and Caggiula was shipped off to Chicago where he now has 5 points in 10 games because they gave him a chance.

3 of Caggiula’s points came in 1 game. The other 2 came in 9 games. Context is everything.

Caggiula scores in bunches and then doesn’t score at all for games on end

Zykov hasn’t really proven to be anything useful anywhere he’s played.

Puljujarvi started out in the bottom 6 with Hitchcock and then had a few games in the top 6. He really should be in the AHL right now but we’re so thin on wing we have no choice but to play him in the NHL.

space321

May 11, 2011
3 of Caggiula’s points came in 1 game. The other 2 came in 9 games. Context is everything.

Puljujarvi started out in the bottom 6 with Hitchcock and then had a few games in the top 6. He really should be in the AHL right now but we’re so thin on wing we have no choice but to play him in the NHL.

You've completely missed my point.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Bull

He is playing easily replaceable hockey right now. You could swap him with several other players right now and it wouldn't make any difference to the Oilers chances of winning.

There's no excuse for him to not be in Bakersfield right now.

Reactions: space321

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Bull

He is playing easily replaceable hockey right now. You could swap him with several other players right now and it wouldn't make any difference to the Oilers chances of winning.

Yup

ANYBODY from the AHL could play the same (Which is to look like a ghost)

North

Jun 25, 2009
Bull

I think they want someone who when they are on could play up the lineup.

Not many in the AHL can do that.

North

Jun 25, 2009
You've completely missed my point.

Your point makes no sense. The two who were given opportunities in the top 6 (Pulju and Caggiula) lost them due to inconsistent play.

Zykov was a non-factor so why play him up the lineup?

space321

May 11, 2011
Your point makes no sense. The two who were given opportunities in the top 6 (Pulju and Caggiula) lost them due to inconsistent play.

Zykov was a non-factor so why play him up the lineup?

Your last sentence proves you missed my point. Also your 2nd sentence is debatable.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I think they want someone who when they are on could play up the lineup.

Not many in the AHL can do that.

He's playing 10 minutes a night on a good night, there's no excuse for him being in Edmonton.

If they want someone who can play up and he's the answer he'd be playing up in the lineup.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Your last sentence proves you missed my point. Also your 2nd sentence is debatable.

I got your point. It was just not a good one. You want to put players in a position to succeed and not necessarily earn their way up, but if you're not seeing something out of a player when they are playing against lesser competition why would you give them an opportunity on a higher line?

Zykov is a tweener who Carolina didn't even want back for free.

I do in general agree with the theory that the Oilers don't always put players in positions to succeed, it's just Zykov is not one of the players I really lump in this category.

I think they didn't do Caggiula any favours by playing him all over the lineup. They should have picked a role and let him settle in. Instead when they first signed him they tried to turn him into a centre.

Caggiula may have been a truly effective bottom sixer if they had just let him play that role without jerking him around the whole lineup. Chicago has told him to play his game and not worry about any of the other stuff. That must be refreshing for him to hear.

North

Jun 25, 2009
He's playing 10 minutes a night on a good night, there's no excuse for him being in Edmonton.

If they want someone who can play up and he's the answer he'd be playing up in the lineup.

He may eventually get that shot again. It's just that Hitch is trying not to blend lines too much anymore.

Here's the thing, good teams do let young players learn by playing them on lower lines.

The Jets did it with Scheifele. Laine and Ehlers have had stints in the bottom 6. Roslovic and Connor have as well.

Playing in the bottom 6 doesn't hurt a player. The only thing that would is if he never gets top 6 minutes. He's had those opportunities this season though.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I would do the forward lines like this:

Rattie - McDavid - Draisaitl
Khaira - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Malone - Chiasson
Rieder - Brodziak - Kassian

Reactions: ElysiumAB

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
He may eventually get that shot again. It's just that Hitch is trying not to blend lines too much anymore.

Here's the thing, good teams do let young players learn by playing them on lower lines.

The Jets did it with Scheifele. Laine and Ehlers have had stints in the bottom 6. Roslovic and Connor have as well.

Playing in the bottom 6 doesn't hurt a player. The only thing that would is if he never gets top 6 minutes. He's had those opportunities this season though.

Good teams let players develop in the minors when they're clearly not ready for the show.

Year 3 of him not being ready, year 3 of him being in the NHL when he'd gain more by being in the minors.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Good teams let players develop in the minors when they're clearly not ready for the show.

Year 3 of him not being ready, year 3 of him being in the NHL when he'd gain more by being in the minors.

Not that I'd be against that, I'm just saying some good teams play young guys in the bottom 6 and it works to their advantage eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad