Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Wild

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would do the forward lines like this:

Rattie - McDavid - Draisaitl
Khaira - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Malone - Chiasson
Rieder - Brodziak - Kassian
Honestly I'd do the 3 big C's and just rotate the other 9 like minor hockey players.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So Struds had some interesting comments yesterday that made me have zero issue with Talbot starting tonight. Not that I really cared one way or another before to be honest.

He pretty much said if you look up and down that bench and watch their body language on the ice, that really no one is giving a shit right now. No one is mad, no one is talking, just guys going through the motions. Talbot showing some emotion makes him believe that at least on some level he gives a shit. Something this team needs more of.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's really simple...

Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson or Rattie
Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Poo-Poop-Poopie

These are the lines that worked best. Nothing has made sense since and it gets worse and worse every game. He's just throwing shit together and hope it sticks. The lineup is shit but there are some combos that have worked yet he refuses to go back to them for some inexplicable reason.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's really simple...

Draisaitl-McDavid-Chiasson or Rattie
Khaira-RNH-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Brodziak-Kassian
Poo-Poop-Poopie

These are the lines that worked best. Nothing has made sense since and it gets worse and worse every game.

Its not that simple. It depends what club you are playing. Some teams have more offensive depth and capability to hurt you outside of matching top lines. For instance the Hawks have 10 players in the lineup yesterday with 20 or more pts. We have 5. If anything ever signalled lack of depth its that.

McDrai both got in on 2 goals and we lost the game 6-2, which is actually pretty symbolic of the respective lineups. Really the Oilers lineup is so bad you have to have somebody being god bending fate to bag a W. This lineup as constructed is almost incapable of winning. This lineup is even worse since we haven't had Caggiulia or Strome.

Theres been a lot of talk about the D being weak but this is the worst forward lineup I've seen on an Oilers club since around 1994.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Its not that simple. It depends what club you are playing. Some teams have more offensive depth and capability to hurt you outside of matching top lines. For instance the Hawks have 10 players in the lineup yesterday with 20 or more pts. We have 5. If anything ever signalled lack of depth its that.

McDrai both got in on 2 goals and we lost the game 6-2, which is actually pretty symbolic of the respective lineups. Really the Oilers lineup is so bad you have to have somebody being god bending fate to bag a W. This lineup as constructed is almost incapable of winning. This lineup is even worse since we haven't had Caggiulia or Strome.

Theres been a lot of talk about the D being weak but this is the worst forward lineup I've seen on an Oilers club since around 1994.

The lines I posted are the only combos that have worked under Hitch. All the others have been a miserable failure. Sticking with what works IS simple.

Seriously, look at the lineup now. It has 3 players with zero goals on 3 separate lines, one of them being on the top line. It has 4 players in Reider, Malone, Cave and Brodziak that provide zero offense every night with Malone, Cave and Brodziak being total non-factors in every aspect.

It's obviously an extremely flawed lineup but there's ways to make it not be a total disaster.
You're right that lineups should change based on matchups but the Oilers don't have the horses to do that. If they find something that works with this patchwork lineup, stick to it as long as possible. Khaira got suspended, Hitchcock blew up the lines then threw them in a blender and the team hasn't been the same since.

Reactions: Aerrol

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Could've had players like Hoffman or Skinner for a song this offseason but our eyes have to look at Zero the Hero on the top line.

Reeks of last year when they threw Lucic with McDavid for 20 games to get him out of his slump just to make the signing look salvageable. And then Lucic didn't score anyways.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Could've had players like Hoffman or Skinner for a song this offseason but our eyes have to look at Zero the Hero on the top line.

Reeks of last year when they threw Lucic with McDavid for 20 games to get him out of his slump just to make the signing look salvageable. And then Lucic didn't score anyways.

Skinner waived his NTC to go to Buffalo and only Buffalo. Was not available to anyone else hence the low return.

Reactions: TB12

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Don't forget Zykov. Highly touted coming into the season. Played top line in Carolina registering 7 points in his last 10 games.

Oilers luck into grabbing him. They got lucky and still screwed it up, never giving him a chance on the top unit.

Now he's on a good Vegas team playing with Marchy and Wild Bill

A small move in the scheme of things but speaks volumes about how this team can not understand asset management

Yeah. I deliberately ignored waiver claims as my focus was moreso wasted money/assets. Waiver claims I see as collateral damage even though it looks like this was first a good gamble that they obviously didn't get coaching onboard with before trying.

But that said, even that got messed up.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007

I love that song. Also Trashed and Disturbing the Priests

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I like Talbot and I don't even get this other than the org shopping him but this is some evil **** expecting Talbot to start all these games after the org has told to **** himself and the team isn't playing for him.
Start him once in awhile, sure, why is he getting MOST of the starts right now?

That he'll likely be facing Dubnyk is just kind of poetic about this org on a whole other level.
Hope Dubnyk puts up a shutout tonight.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
They are in the hunt as much as fishing without a lure is still fishing.

Currently at a 6% chance to make the playoffs.
And everyone in that locker room thinks that they need to make the fans think that they think they are going to make the playoffs.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So Struds had some interesting comments yesterday that made me have zero issue with Talbot starting tonight. Not that I really cared one way or another before to be honest.

He pretty much said if you look up and down that bench and watch their body language on the ice, that really no one is giving a **** right now. No one is mad, no one is talking, just guys going through the motions. Talbot showing some emotion makes him believe that at least on some level he gives a ****. Something this team needs more of.

Sorry Talbot giving a shit means nothing when he blows routine saves.

That deflates teams too.

Strudwick is trying to shine a turd.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sorry Talbot giving a **** means nothing when he blows routine saves.

That deflates teams too.

Strudwick is trying to shine a turd.
Deflation would imply there's anything to deflate.

The Oilers wait to lose.

The f***ers couldn't get up for an HNIC game against their (supposedly) biggest rival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad