Dreger: Oilers trade ask on Puljujarvi too high

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Puljujarvi was a highly touted prospect. Now, he’s nothing.

"nothing" is quite an overstatement.

He's still 6'3 with explosive skating, a really nice shot when someone else sets him up, and some vision.

I can't believe I'm defending an Oilers prospect here but the fact I adhere to is this:

You cannot judge every draft pick until a full decade afterwards. Everyone has their own timeline. For every Aaron Ekblad that wins a Calder Trophy at age 18 there's a Blake Wheeler who might be the best player from his draft class and wasn't even an NHLer at age 21.

Who knows how Puljujarvi develops? Not many in this thread, even the Oilers fans who've followed him extensively might tell you he's a clumsy, talented player who needs to be developed.

That also makes evaluating his trade value an endeavor in throwing blind darts. FFS going back - 24 yo Blake Wheeler was traded for freakin' Rich Peverly?

One thing you can't say about Puljujarvi that you can say about Griffin Reinhart, is that he lacks the tools to be successful in the NHL. Sometimes it just takes guys time to put their tools together.

Now Edmonton is an awful and toxic environment for him but c'est la vie.

That said I'd be totally open to my GM lowballing their GM for this kid. He's still like ten times more talented and intelligent than a Jake Virtanen and Virtanen looks to be coming around.

Reactions: elmaco

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Fleury would absolutely make the Oilers D core. In fact, probably in their top 4.

That’s just a dumb thing to say. No chance he’d crack our top 4. We already have 4 bottom pair d, not to mention Sekera.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
"nothing" is quite an overstatement.

He's still 6'3 with explosive skating, a really nice shot when someone else sets him up, and some vision.

I can't believe I'm defending an Oilers prospect here but the fact I adhere to is this:

You cannot judge every draft pick until a full decade afterwards. Everyone has their own timeline. For every Aaron Ekblad that wins a Calder Trophy at age 18 there's a Blake Wheeler who might be the best player from his draft class and wasn't even an NHLer at age 21.

Who knows how Puljujarvi develops? Not many in this thread, even the Oilers fans who've followed him extensively might tell you he's a clumsy, talented player who needs to be developed.

That also makes evaluating his trade value an endeavor in throwing blind darts. FFS going back - 24 yo Blake Wheeler was traded for freakin' Rich Peverly?

One thing you can't say about Puljujarvi that you can say about Griffin Reinhart, is that he lacks the tools to be successful in the NHL. Sometimes it just takes guys time to put their tools together.

Now Edmonton is an awful and toxic environment for him but c'est la vie.

That said I'd be totally open to my GM lowballing their GM for this kid. He's still like ten times more talented and intelligent than a Jake Virtanen and Virtanen looks to be coming around.
First intelligent post in this thread.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Aww, Oilers don’t want to dump Puljujarvi off a cliff for a failed prospect 4 years older or a mediocre draft pick?

HF is gonna be crushed.

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
lol no. Poolparty is a bust. Strome is an elite talent that got mishandled.

The label of bust was given to Strome by just as many people. "Too slow," "low IQ," "no drive," blah blah blah.

Don't think that now that he's turned it around that somehow that's all forgotten.

Puljujarvi shows flashes of skill, nice stick handling and nice defensive prowess. And he can keep up with elite players speed wise.

He, like Strome, has been put in an impossible situation, playing with garbage and been tossed around the lineup, back and forth to the AHL etc. The development has been terrible.

Strome goes to a team with depth and gets plugged into a spot where he can succeed.

If Jesse got to play on a real team, with actual players.. maybe, just maybe, couldn't you see the exact same thing happening?!

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
20 year old players that have not gotten one ounce of consistency from their coaching staff are trash. total bums.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Very fair Carolina is weak at C. Isnt Svech primarily a LW anyways though?
They’ve moved him around once they got Nino. Point being is that the Canes have TT, Nino, Ferland, Williams, Svech and even Martinook that would be ahead of Pulj. He’d struggle to make even the Canes top 9 so complaining about Fleury is kind of silly.)

I don’t think that the oilers should trade Jesse though. Might as well hold on to him.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Thank god. The ask on JP should be high, because we shouldn't be trading him. At the very least, you can't trade him for futures. He's a player with many years of control, at a manageable salary, so the only way we move him is for a player we need in a more important area (ie the defense)

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
The label of bust was given to Strome by just as many people. "Too slow," "low IQ," "no drive," blah blah blah.

Don't think that now that he's turned it around that somehow that's all forgotten.

Puljujarvi shows flashes of skill, nice stick handling and nice defensive prowess. And he can keep up with elite players speed wise.

He, like Strome, has been put in an impossible situation, playing with garbage and been tossed around the lineup, back and forth to the AHL etc. The development has been terrible.

Strome goes to a team with depth and gets plugged into a spot where he can succeed.

If Jesse got to play on a real team, with actual players.. maybe, just maybe, couldn't you see the exact same thing happening?!

Maybe the Oilers should put Puljujarvi with McDavid for an extended period of time. If he can't produce much with McDavid then he should absolutely be sent down to the AHL

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011
Maybe the Oilers should put Puljujarvi with McDavid for an extended period of time. If he can't produce much with McDavid then he should absolutely be sent down to the AHL

I agree.. but he needs that extended period of time to see if there's chemistry. Or Draisaitl-Pulju.. but to play with Khaira or Cave or Malone.. what do you expect from him?!

Reactions: McDrai

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Hudon is a healthy scratch at damn near 25 years old. He’s worth nothing.[/QUOTE]
Nope he and a low draft pick 4,5 or 6th) is worth pulj. Pulj can’t stay in the nhl and is a year or two from joing yak in the khl. High draft pick shine fades fast when years go by and guy shows no signs of getting it together. Edm can hold onto him and a get a third next year. He has bust written all over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad