Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Someone here will be happy

Not happy, but meh. Unfortunate for the guy. He can probably do what Chris Kelly did for a time last season and practice with the team.

I'd really like to see an invite go out to Shawn Matthias now if they're looking for PK help. He's younger and probably gives you a bit more upside offensively. Hemsky would be a nice, too.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not happy, but meh. Unfortunate for the guy. He can probably do what Chris Kelly did for a time last season and practice with the team.

I'd really like to see an invite go out to Shawn Matthias now if they're looking for PK help. He's younger and probably gives you a bit more upside offensively. Hemsky would be a nice, too.
I don't know about Hemsky. I'd rather just get a bottom liner, but even then I'm okay with making Aberg a regular so either way

Reactions: A91

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Hemsky is so done he's charcoal

Reactions: Drivesaitl and A91

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't know about Hemsky. I'd rather just get a bottom liner, but even then I'm okay with making Aberg a regular so either way

Hemsky is so done he's charcoal

PTO material.

It'd be a nice sight to see him on a line with one of the Cs wearing Oiler silks for a few games. In the off-chance he still has anything left, he's still got the speed and skill he's always had.

Agreed, odds are Aberg and Rattie make him an easy cut, but if they don't it's probably a sign to start shopping.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Not an issue. Would rather have Chiasson as spare forward.

JJ, Kassian, Lucic provide enough knuckle dragging element. Chiasson has younger legs.

RNH McD Rattie
Lucic Drai JP
Aberg/Caggiula Strome Rieder
JJ Brodziak Kassian
Chiasson

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Bouchard
Gravel Jerabek

This I can see at the start of the season. Yamamoto, Marody, Benson the top FWD calls and Bear and Jones the first d calls.

Team still very weak on D. Could see a waiver claim...

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Someone here will be happy

Don't you know it. But one of the things I cited was his injuries, mileage, and being old in hockey terms. Just wasn't going to be many miles left on this one. He's been riding NHL PTO fumes for years.

Like I said all along just retire already.

But at least I don't have to watch him here.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Also, I could see Letestu back on a one year league min deal.

If Koala agrees to certain conditions I could get on board for this.
But I think Brodziak at #4C and Khaira as a C as well as Malone/Marody in the AHL means its unlikely.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not an issue. Would rather have Chiasson as spare forward.

JJ, Kassian, Lucic provide enough knuckle dragging element. Chiasson has younger legs.

RNH McD Rattie
Lucic Drai JP
Aberg Strome Rieder
JJ Brodziak Kassian
Chiasson

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Bouchard
Gravel Garrison

This I can see at the start of the season. Yamamoto, Marody, Benson the top FWD calls and Bear and Jones the first d calls.

Team still very weak on D. Could see a waiver claim...

Caggiula?

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
He just posted he will be skating this weekend. Not sure what to think now. He is a jersey already with #10.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
With the medical staff the Oilers have employed, the doctor probably read his chart upside down.

True story...back when I lived in Edmonton I had hurt my right foot falling from a building. Went for xrays and when the xray results came back I had 2 MD's attending to this. The one MD stated that the foot was broken (cant remember which bone) and then started prodding my left foot and asked me if there was any pain. I said no. Then the other MD took over and really stated to manipulate my left foot...still no pain.
I tried to tell them that they had the wrong foot but they interrupted me and had a chat a few feet away.
I finally was able to tell them that I hurt my right foot not my left foot...they looked at the xray and then sheepishly turned it over and gave me a half smile.
I was just happy that they didnt cast the wrong foot. :D

Maybe these Docs moved on to sports medicine. ;)

Reactions: McFuhryous

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's too bad about Upshall but I looked at him as more of a leadership contributor than on ice contributor so hopefully he can still practice with the team (like Kelly last season) and provide some vet presence.

I wouldn't mind extending a PTO to Hartnell. I was just stat checking and was surprised to see that he had 13 goals in 62 games last season. That's pretty darn good production. I saw him on the NHL network panel the other day (he's really good in that role btw) and he said he's ready to go but is just waiting for a call so why not give it a shot?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's too bad about Upshall but I looked at him as more of a leadership contributor than on ice contributor so hopefully he can still practice with the team (like Kelly last season) and provide some vet presence.

I wouldn't mind extending a PTO to Hartnell. I was just stat checking and was surprised to see that he had 13 goals in 62 games last season. That's pretty darn good production. I saw him on the NHL network panel the other day (he's really good in that role btw) and he said he's ready to go but is just waiting for a call so why not give it a shot?
The problem with Hartnell is he is slow. Have no idea if he's in shape or not, but on a PTO why not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad