Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Was pretty clear that he thinks Upshall is useless and that the useless player he likes should be playing instead.

We're 1,2 mths from most people sharing my opinion. Brodziak is useful, Upshall at age 35 is useless. If this was 5-10 yrs ago my opinion would be different. But we're getting yet another retiree NHL player here.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Upshall played almost exclusively with Brodz in STL, for my money one of the better Bottom Centers in the league. Pak was getting nothing in quality to work with here. A typical season for Letestu would involve 5 EV assists all season.
And Pakarainen even less...because he was not a very good player...as shown by us or no other NHL team giving him a shot for next year...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
And Pakarainen even less...because he was not a very good player...as shown by us or no other NHL team giving him a shot for next year...

When teams bury Euro players nothing much usually happens for them regardless of what team does the burying. you can look at that with several past players the Oilers have had, or other teams, and for example Belov who you like ( I do too) Slepy, Pak. I still think Slepy had topsix talent potential. He just needed time and Draisaitl to break out.

Upshall will get a contract. It won't be pretty. Somebody more deserving will be tossed aside to make room for useless. this is not a merit org.

My lord, Jokinen made the team last year.

With Brodz here theres simply no way the Oilers will refuse Upshall a spot.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
When teams bury Euro players nothing much usually happens for them regardless of what team does the burying. you can look at that with several past players the Oilers have had, or other teams, and for example Belov who you like ( I do too) Slepy, Pak. I still think Slepy had topsix talent potential. He just needed time and Draisaitl to break out.

Upshall will get a contract. It won't be pretty. Somebody more deserving will be tossed aside to make room for useless. this is not a merit org.

And what deserving player do you think will be kicked off the team as our 13 forward?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Why do people keep bringing up Jokinen? He was a signed roster player not a PTO.

He appeared in 2 or 3 pre season games and I believe had 3 or 4 points. Once the season began he was terrible and as such was traded for an equally inept player.

Upshall is an attempt to see if he can play the Hendricks roll which we were surely lacking last season. If he can do that he gets a contract if not bye bye. What’s the harm?

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why do people keep bringing up Jokinen? He was a signed roster player not a PTO.

He appeared in 2 or 3 pre season games and I believe had 3 or 4 points. Once the season began he was terrible and as such was traded for an equally inept player.

Upshall is an attempt to see if he can play the Hendricks roll which we were surely lacking last season. If he can do that he gets a contract if not bye bye. What’s the harm?
The harm is poor secretly incredible Pakarainen is no longer on the team cause we are giving Upshall a PTO apparently.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The harm is poor secretly incredible Pakarainen is no longer on the team cause we are giving Upshall a PTO apparently.

The harm is an org that chronically sends a message to its org players that it will bench, scratch them, give them little opportunity to succeed, while picking up 35 yr old dregs to fill out a lineup card just because. This is longstanding with this org and it is STILL occurring. If you think that's OK fine, most depth org players wouldn't. Whats the point of even being in the AHL as a forward if this is what chronically occurs?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The harm is an org that chronically sends a message to its org players that it will bench, scratch them, give them little opportunity to succeed, while picking up 35 yr old dregs to fill out a lineup card just because. This is longstanding with this org and it is STILL occurring. If you think that's OK fine, most depth org players wouldn't. Whats the point of even being in the AHL as a forward if this is what chronically occurs?
The point of being in the AHL is to develop to hopefully be useful enough that the organization doesn't have to keep hiring old vets?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton

Well considering a great organization like the blues have twice thought he was worth a look I will remain optimistic on this one.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well considering a great organization like the blues have twice thought he was worth a look I will remain optimistic on this one.

The converse of that is they twice got rid of him...;)

I know I'm a bit cynical, but in fairness I'm liking all the other offseason additions, just not this one. Hopefully he's gone soon enough.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The point of being in the AHL is to develop to hopefully be useful enough that the organization doesn't have to keep hiring old vets?

The hope is that eventually the org is better at recognizing player upside where it exists and getting the best of that. They do it sometimes, not others. Pak was a really good bottom player here in 15-16. The Oilers are good at having amnesia about that type of thing. As another note I thought Ethan Bear showed some promise last season. Pretty much on cue I expect the Oilers to forget about him this season. Just what I'm accustomed to believing here, and I'm admittedly biased..or jaundiced. ;)

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The hope is that eventually the org is better at recognizing player upside where it exists and getting the best of that. They do it sometimes, not others. Pak was a really good bottom player here in 15-16. The Oilers are good at having amnesia about that type of thing. As another note I thought Ethan Bear showed some promise last season. Pretty much on cue I expect the Oilers to forget about him this season. Just what I'm accustomed to believing here, and I'm admittedly biased..or jaundiced. ;)
They already look like they can judge upside better by cutting ties with pakarinen and his 3 pathetic points this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They already look like they can judge upside better by cutting ties with pakarinen and his 3 pathetic points this year.

The latest season Pak knew he was gone. Being benched and scratched repeatedly has a way of doing that. The org had already ruined any good faith relationship with the player. A coach like Sather would have developed Pak into a very solid cast member.

I know you don't want to be open to this but Pak in 15-16 had an exceptional bottom line season with 13pts on limited minutes and was among the league leaders in hits/minute while playing airtight GA hockey. He showed more than enough value and niche play to stick around in bottomsix. He was almost ideal for it. The Oilers answer was to bury him in the AHL the very next season. Why? who really knows.

If you don't think this was a player in 15-16 you weren't watching. Pak could easily have been parlayed into a bottom line 20-25pt player with solid work attitude, great D acumen, and very difficult to play against.

At worst he was someone like Carrier for Vegas. A punishing player that is very difficult to play against and that makes life miserable for opponents. The added benefit with Pak is he did all that without being a penalty taking liability.

I have a hardnosed high energy rugged player like this in my 4thline any day of the week.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The latest season Pak knew he was gone. Being benched and scratched repeatedly has a way of doing that. The org had already ruined any good faith relationship with the player. A coach like Sather would have developed Pak into a very solid cast member.

I know you don't want to be open to this but Pak in 15-16 had an exceptional bottom line season with 13pts on limited minutes and was among the league leaders in hits/minute while playing airtight GA hockey. He showed more than enough value and niche play to stick around in bottomsix. He was almost ideal for it. The Oilers answer was to bury him in the AHL the very next season. Why? who really knows.

If you don't think this was a player in 15-16 you weren't watching. Pak could easily have been parlayed into a bottom line 20-25pt player with solid work attitude, great D acumen, and very difficult to play against.

At worst he was someone like Carrier for Vegas. A punishing player that is very difficult to play against and that makes life miserable for opponents. The added benefit with Pak is he did all that without being a penalty taking liability.

I have a hardnosed high energy rugged player like this in my 4thline any day of the week.
13 points? Wow such a good season, Upshall had more than that last year yet all you do is downplay him.

Pakarinen doesn’t have a single nhl quality skill about him, he’s not a good hockey player

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
13 points? Wow such a good season, Upshall had more than that last year yet all you do is downplay him.

Pakarinen doesn’t have a single nhl quality skill about him, he’s not a good hockey player

Pak had that in far less minutes and was not conjoined to the hip with the much more talented Brodziak. Virtually any pts Upshall was getting in STl were due to Brodz. Upshall used to be a sound player, he isn't now.

Doesn't it make any sense to you to be playing an energy player in prime that is difficult to play against than a spent 35yr old just looking for another paycheque?

this board is called hockeyfutures and its posters are supporting hiring 35yr old hasbeens over prospect players in prime.

mystifying

The only thing I can think is people must be thinking about the Upshall of 5-10years ago.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Pak had that in far less minutes and was not conjoined to the hip with the much more talented Brodziak. Virtually any pts Upshall was getting in STl were due to Brodz. Upshall used to be a sound player, he isn't now.

Doesn't it make any sense to you to be playing an energy player in prime that is difficult to play against than a spent 35yr old just looking for another paycheque?

this board is called hockeyfutures and its posters are supporting hiring 35yr old hasbeens over prospect players in prime.

mystifying

The only thing I can think is people must be thinking about the Upshall of 5-10years ago.
Pakarinen in his prime is not a NHL player, and I don’t think you should be suggesting anyone have an open mind on anything, you’re one of the more close minded posters here

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pakarinen in his prime is not a NHL player, and I don’t think you should be suggesting anyone have an open mind on anything, you’re one of the more close minded posters here

Well that would be your perspective. In which case why would you bother having dialog with me if your opinion is theres nothing to gain from it?

Some people enjoy my posting here, you don't, fine.

As per Upshall he's been bouncing around PTO's now for years. Blues have got rid of him what, 3 times?

He's also coming back from a knee injury and a lacerated kidney and he's 35. Fountain of youth and bionics couldn't make much of this player now.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We're 1,2 mths from most people sharing my opinion. Brodziak is useful, Upshall at age 35 is useless. If this was 5-10 yrs ago my opinion would be different. But we're getting yet another retiree NHL player here.

He's plays more physical than 90% of the team so will be useful as a grinder on the 4th line. He should be the #12/#13 forward, Todd has no business playing him over 55 games. At his age and style of play he'll need to be rested to perform decent on the 4th line.

Lucic wasn't utilized properly and Todd wore him out, no reason Lucic should be getting 20+ mins a night.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't mind Upshall. The Oil need one more player like him (someone that can effectively eat PK and defensive starts without looking like a clown), and he's comparible to most guys left on the market: Winnik, Ward, Chimera... The fact he's proven to work well with Brodziak is an added bonus.

The only issue I could have is why go after him when a superior player like Hansen is signing in the KHL. If you could have added him, Brodziak, and Rieder; I would have felt more comfortable about the PK this year. Outside of Brodziak, I don't see a true high-end defensive forward upfront.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I still would like one of Winnik/Hartnell as well.

Dump whomever is the poorest signed Oiler at training camp into the AHL.

That would create real competition at camp among the forwards to have a couple extra solid 2-way vets and wouldn't hand automatic spots to guys like Rattie/Aberg/Caggiula and even Kassian would realize he has to get his ass in gear if he doesn't want to ride the busses in the AHL.

Oilers have to be less fearful of losing players on waivers. Bring in some solid competition and let the chips fall where they may.

If the Oilers do dump someone they have signed onto waivers because they find someone better... that's a GOOD thing.

Plus the other 30 teams will likely have better players on waivers than the Oilers have as their #13/14 F as well so it's not the end of the world to find someone else there as well.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Pakarinen was garbage, get over it.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
That’s terrible news for the guy. Have to feel for him, had a chance to play for his favorite team as a kid and the knee fails him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad