Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I knew a buddy who failed a railway physical because he tweaked his back playing street hockey and was 100% back to normal in less than a week. Cost him like $5000 in work because he couldn't missed out on that job.

It's really not that hard to fail a physical.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I knew a buddy who failed a railway physical because he tweaked his back playing street hockey and was 100% back to normal in less than a week. Cost him like $5000 in work because he couldn't missed out on that job.

It's really not that hard to fail a physical.

For sure. But someone getting their knee tapped is due to inflammation, and inflammation often can recur. Because the tap is just removing what was built up there due to some other knee or joint ailment. its a bandaid, not a solution, and often recurring. I've had those taps. Hopefully they use smaller syringe now.. those things also inflict damage. and pain...

In anycase Upshall won't have long to go. I doubt we get many good games out of him. He's just trying to hang around in the NHL at this point anyway. WE got him in his swansong.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For sure. But someone getting their knee tapped is due to inflammation, and inflammation often can recur. Because the tap is just removing what was built up there due to some other knee or joint ailment. its a bandaid, not a solution, and often recurring. I've had those taps. Hopefully they use smaller syringe now.. those things also inflict damage. and pain...

In anycase Upshall won't have long to go. I doubt we get many good games out of him. He's just trying to hang around in the NHL at this point anyway. WE got him in his swansong.
Beyond your personal issues replacement. There's probably NO player in the NHL around Upshall's age with Upshall's miles who don't have "injuries" they're dealing with. Be a pro hockey player tends to be hard on the body.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Beyond your personal issues replacement. There's probably NO player in the NHL around Upshall's age with Upshall's miles who don't have "injuries" they're dealing with. Be a pro hockey player tends to be hard on the body.

No argument here. I can't imagine how hard it is to play pro sports, let alone when you are never back to 100%.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
play of Yam and Rattie probably spelled an end for him in Edmonton.
what? he was never challenging for a top 9 spot, though. I'm assuming this happened because he won't be able to get into any preseason games because he certainly had a chance to bump Cagguila/Kassian out of a spot since they both have been brutal so far.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
Future “Edmonton Oiler great Scottie Upshall”

For real though it’s unfortunate he didn’t atleast get the chance, but if his knee is stopping him from being effective then it’s the next guy up

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
what? he was never challenging for a top 9 spot, though. I'm assuming this happened because he won't be able to get into any preseason games because he certainly had a chance to bump Cagguila/Kassian out of a spot since they both have been brutal so far.
yeah, but those two have contracts so what are you going to do with them? Adding another contract to the mix for someone who realistically is not going to offer that much more than these other two isn't very smart.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I think he was a backup plan and a there is a surprising amount of players who showed up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he was a backup plan and a there is a surprising amount of players who showed up.
Was signed pretty early. Everything suggest they wanted him and key members of the core wanted him.

Seems the knee injury was just too much. And who knows how long it was an issue for, could've prevented Scottie from working out too

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Upshall is slow at this point, 34, and injury prone. This really is the best that could have occurred. We're better in the lineup and roster without this addition. Not sure what Chia was thinking on this one.

I think that there might have been some wonder how Brodz and Kass would interact as those two have had some history. Both hard nosed players, no love lost. But they're pros and so have got along. Kass appears to be following the lead of the much better Brodziak. I think what the 4th line has been looking like without Upshall spells the NHL death of Upshall. Brodz can play with anybody and make anybody look better than they are, its always been the case. Upshall owes about 4 added NHL seasons to Brodz ability to carry players.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think, beyond the injury, the death nail for Upshall's shot on this PTO was Chiasson's performance on the PK in his 2 games. He's younger and healthy, and does well what they brought Upshall in to do.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think, beyond the injury, the death nail for Upshall's shot on this PTO was Chiasson's performance on the PK in his 2 games. He's younger and healthy, and does well what they brought Upshall in to do.

From what I saw I agree--the moment upshall failed his exam--Chaisson became the back up plan and has played as they needed him to play

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn't get very excited when they signed him, so no big surprise when they cut him. A whole lot of meh.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It’s not about him competing for a top 9 spot. It’s about more players slotting themselves in above him on the depth chart.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
You can't just keep a guy around at 34 hoping his knee gets better soon and discount the strong play of other younger guys in camp. It's unfortunate he couldn't win or lose a spot while being 100% healthy but we're off to Sweden soon and decisions need to be made. Hopefully he can get it better soon and get a contract somewhere but that time isn't now.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Any chance that Upshall is the vet losing a job to a young player?

Edit: I know it sounded like Todd was talking more about one of our vets, but unless someone else shakes out...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad