Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
RNH-McDavid-______
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

Honestly for all the doom and gloom, that's not that bad, especially considering you've still got McDavid and Draisaitl to drive the top lines.
Don't want to be a debbie downer but that looks pretty doom and gloom

The top line is good regardless of who's on RW but the 2nd and 3rd lines are atrocious. Drai is playing with wingers who scored 25 and 20 points last season. Sure JP could have a breakout year but that's a gamble.

Kassian is a 4th line guy playing on the 3rd, Lucic is useless at ES, and Strome is nothing special.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Leaves you RNH, Puljujarvi, and Rieder in 3 of the 4 top 6 wingers spot, with Caggiula, Aberg, Rattie, and Yamamoto battling for the last spot.

RNH-McDavid-______
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

I think the answers are internal. Rieder is much more comfortable on the right side and Upshall is more comfortable on the left side. Puljujarvi and Lucic both look they have trained a ton so far in the off-season.

Nuge - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Kassian
Upshall - Brodziak - Rattie

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Am i missing something? He was on an actual good team the last three years and performed his role on that team.
He is also a PTO.

not sure how its a negative in any way shape or form.
Are you just negative to be negative?

Also until camp starts we are in tough with the cap and wont get any freedom until day 1 when we get some cap relief in moving Sekera to LTIR.

Actually I've been positive on all the additions like Brodz, Rieder, Jerabek, Gravel, just not this one. Upshall is just an energy player that is getting too old to be effective in that role. Upshall is only here because Brodz is. Upshall is just a really nothing player at this point. I think Brodz has been carrying him for years.

We're talking a 35yr old who's last good season was 5years ago. If Scotty Upshall makes this team people should cry in terms of what it means to the org depth and development. Theres no reason to even waste one season on a 35yr old Upshall. Hard pass.

Last edited:

wokwithme

Dec 8, 2017
its a pto... so IF he makes the team its because he earned it. i only see this move as a camp competition invite.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
its a pto... so IF he makes the team its because he earned it. i only see this move as a camp competition invite.

That's fine. But if you read previous posts you'd know that I expect the Oilers to just have Upshall make the team. This fits too much with what Chia and McLellan like. They prefer vets to up and coming prospects. I don't think Upshall will make the club on merit. Unless he's a disaster he will make the club. We saw this as recently as last season with Jokinen. I've been an Oilers fan for too long not to see this one coming. We'll be stuck watching Upshall hack the puck into bits most of the season.

If you think bottomsix players make this club on merit you haven't been here long.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's fine. But if you read previous posts you'd know that I expect the Oilers to just have Upshall make the team. This fits too much with what Chia and McLellan like. They prefer vets to up and coming prospects. I don't think Upshall will make the club on merit. Unless he's a disaster he will make the club. We saw this as recently as last season with Jokinen. I've been an Oilers fan for too long not to see this one coming. We'll be stuck watching Upshall hack the puck into bits most of the season.

If you think bottomsix players make this club on merit you haven't been here long.
Yet "the" Chia player and McLellan player Chris Kelly never got a contract

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
tbh didn't even remember he was ever here so point taken. But the Brodz/Upshall connection I fear is too strong an enticement.
After what I heard Strickland say about him, I'd take him. He's a locker room guy that can play 12 minutes a night. A guy that mingles with the younger and older crowd. We need someone to bridge this locker room together.

If it cost 900k so be it. Sick of looking at the church mice on our bench.

Reactions: guymez

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Actually I've been positive on all the additions like Brodz, Rieder, Jerabek, Gravel, just not this one. Upshall is just an energy player that is getting too old to be effective in that role. Upshall is only here because Brodz is. Upshall is just a really nothing player at this point. I think Brodz has been carrying him for years.

We're talking a 35yr old who's last good season was 5years ago. If Scotty Upshall makes this team people should cry in terms of what it means to the org depth and development. Theres no reason to even waste one season on a 35yr old Upshall. Hard pass.

I haven't watched a lot of Upshall recently, but from what I've heard, he can still skate well and seems to still be effective on the PK. If he shows he can still be effective, I'd have no problem signing him to a cheap, 1 year deal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
After what I heard Strickland say about him, I'd take him. He's a locker room guy that can play 12 minutes a night. A guy that mingles with the younger and older crowd. We need someone to bridge this locker room together.

If it cost 900k so be it. Sick of looking at the church mice on our bench.

a 35yr old player is not a dressingroom bridge player.

I'm not sure what Upshall even brings to any team at this point. He's a complete nothing player. This is not 2013. This guy has merely been hanging on for the last seasons. You get a guy like this already in retirement phase and they smell as much as a Ference.

At least Brodz still got game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I haven't watched a lot of Upshall recently, but from what I've heard, he can still skate well and seems to still be effective on the PK. If he shows he can still be effective, I'd have no problem signing him to a cheap, 1 year deal.

Upshall was 10GA/60mins shorthanded last season. That on a good team with some good D. He was a tirefire.

We completely gave up on an actual energy player in Pakarinen who had solid GA numbers always, that was physical, hit people like a truck, we have no time for that, but we're giving useless players opportunities. I would have Pacman here over Upshall any day of the week.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Upshall was 10GA/60mins shorthanded last season. That on a good team with some good D. He was a tirefire.

We completely gave up on an actual energy player in Pakarinen who had solid GA numbers always, that was physical, hit people like a truck, we have no time for that, but we're giving useless players opportunities. I would have Pacman here over Upshall any day of the week.
So instead of a useless player you don’t like, you would rather have a useless player you like

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So instead of a useless player you don’t like, you would rather have a useless player you like

No, I'd rather have a hard working energetic player that was rarely scored against and that led the team in hits/minute at times here.

I have no idea why people consider Pakarinen as useless. He was a value player here that made more of a contribution than somebody like a 35yr old washed up Upshall would. Plus what kind of message does it send to org prospects that this just continues to be an org that casts off prospects like Slepy, Pak?

We say this org needs to be better at developing its own prospects and when the same are still being punted we defend the org by saying they were useless anyway.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Absolutely, and was imminently available the last couple of years.

That's a player where development has been done well, by the Kings org, and for other teams to benefit from. Solid player, hard worker, just turning 26.

Yeah perfect buy low guy. Versatile, still in his prime so still a chance to develop.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
No, I'd rather have a hard working energetic player that was rarely scored against and that led the team in hits/minute at times here.

I have no idea why people consider Pakarinen as useless. He was a value player here that made more of a contribution than somebody like a 35yr old washed up Upshall would. Plus what kind of message does it send to org prospects that this just continues to be an org that casts off prospects like Slepy, Pak?

We say this org needs to be better at developing its own prospects and when the same are still being punted we defend the org by saying they were useless anyway.
Considering there were issues with Slepy off the ice I don't think it means anything.

That and Upshall is essentially a hard working, energetic guy that hits.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Pakarinen has very similar TOI/GP as Upshall, and very similar hits/game numbers. Plus Upshall has also put up reasonable 4th line offensive production. Sorry, I don't buy what you're trying to sell.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Pakarinen has very similar TOI/GP as Upshall, and very similar hits/game numbers. Plus Upshall has also put up reasonable 4th line offensive production. Sorry, I don't buy what you're trying to sell.

Well, fortunately I'm not trying to sell you a car, I'm giving my respective opinion on one vs the other. ;)

To me a serviceable player in prime, who plays like a veteran, is better than an overaged veteran, with zero upside, who plays like an old veteran..

As the other poster mentioned Nick Shore would certainly have been a better acquisition. Its unfortunate other teams figure that out and the Oilers do not.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Well, fortunately I'm not trying to sell you a car, I'm giving my respective opinion on one vs the other. ;)

To me a serviceable player in prime, who plays like a veteran, is better than an overaged veteran, with zero upside, who plays like an old veteran..

As the other poster mentioned Nick Shore would certainly have been a better acquisition. Its unfortunate other teams figure that out and the Oilers do not.
Servicable? He was on pace for 6 points in 80 games, Upshall had 19 in 63 games, how the hell is pakarinen more servicable than upshall

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Servicable? He was on pace for 6 points in 80 games, Upshall had 19 in 63 games, how the hell is pakarinen more servicable than upshall

Strange take. Pak has a better shot than Upshall in his sleep. The Oilers don't use Pak in any offensive sets. Pak sure don't get anybody like Brodz as a center. Letestu would be about the best he would ever get and that guy is a blackhole EV. Pak was great on the PK, seldom scored against EV. He was actually a plus player on a bad team playing with guys like Kassian that don't even care. if anybody should have lost their job its Zach.

The last season Pak got any real look here he had 13 pts in around half the toi that Upshall usually gets. Its harder to get going when the team is benching you for no reason for extended periods and giving you a max of 8mins a night.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Was pretty clear that he thinks Upshall is useless and that the useless player he likes should be playing instead.

Reactions: MisterD

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Strange take. Pak has a better shot than Upshall in his sleep. The Oilers don't use Pak in any offensive sets. Pak sure don't get anybody like Brodz as a center. Letestu would be about the best he would ever get and that guy is a blackhole EV. Pak was great on the PK, seldom scored against EV. He was actually a plus player on a bad team playing with guys like Kassian that don't even care. if anybody should have lost their job its Zach.

The last season Pak got any real look here he had 13 pts in around half the toi that Upshall usually gets. Its harder to get going when the team is benching you for no reason for extended periods and giving you a max of 8mins a night.

How is that a strange take? They both don't get utilized in offensive sets (i.e. primarily 4th line duty and PK work), yet Upshall has been able to actually put up NHL 4th line numbers.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How is that a strange take? They both don't get utilized in offensive sets (i.e. primarily 4th line duty and PK work), yet Upshall has been able to actually put up NHL 4th line numbers.

Upshall played almost exclusively with Brodz in STL, for my money one of the better Bottom Centers in the league. Pak was getting nothing in quality to work with here. A typical season for Letestu would involve 5 EV assists all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad