Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Any chance that Upshall is the vet losing a job to a young player?

Edit: I know it sounded like Todd was talking more about one of our vets, but unless someone else shakes out...

Doubt it... because he never played in a pre-season game and never got to the point of having a job with the Oilers because of his apparent knee injury.

I think it will likely be revealed over the next few days that someone like Kassian/Aberg is out in favour of Yamamoto (long shot McLeod) and/or their other PTO... Chiasson.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Scottie was on chiclets this last episode. He was talking about his injury and how he wants to come back and ideally play next year with the oilers. Sounds like an amazing guy, i'm rooting for him!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He sounds like a great guy, but I don't see the space for him, especially when you've got Gambardella and Russell ready to kick the door down regarding bottom 6 roles.

Perhaps he could be a vet presence in BAK, but even then I'm not sure.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Scottie was on chiclets this last episode. He was talking about his injury and how he wants to come back and ideally play next year with the oilers. Sounds like an amazing guy, i'm rooting for him!
Perfect, we can give him a stall next to Brodziak!

Reactions: RattsSSV

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I care only about whether he can play hockey at his age and health level. Not even Brodziak can do that and he's a damn better player than Upshall.

Threres no room at the inn for more hopeless players. We're cornering the market already this season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can't see him making any team next year. If he wants a PTO I'd give him one, but being a full year out isn't good for him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not going to derail this thread, nor should you... but this is an uncalled for comment. I don't think our team has sufficient leadership. I don't think you can stand, hand on heart, and say that either. Upshall has been a solid leader and may have a year or two left in him if he can recover. I'd welcome that in a 4th line role. You are also entitled to your opinion, just have a little discretion (i.e. don't be a jerk about it). You and I have had plenty of good debates and I've enjoyed them. Don't ruin it.

Fair enough. The comments in the other thread got me riled up to a degree that hasn't happened in a longtime here. Especially since some of the Hall haters (not you) used that thread as a springboard to initiate the same proceeding with Draisaitl and not their first attempt either. Others noted it and mentioned it too. Its possible I went too far though and apologize to you for that.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
We always seem to get players just as they are transitioning into being almost useless. It's like they come here to fully die. Hopefully this isn't another one of those if indeed we give him another shot next year.

Reactions: guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We always seem to get players just as they are transitioning into being almost useless. It's like they come here to fully die. Hopefully this isn't another one of those if indeed we give him another shot next year.
The one saving grace with him is he's pretty committed to his body and workout regiment.

Still a longshot at best and the guy really should just sign with Bakersfield now if he legitimately wants to be here next year. Or at the very least get on his knees and beg to be on Team Canada.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Nothing more ironic than the Brodziak timeframe. We struggle a bit through his development years, to the point where he's taking off as a very serviceable responsible depth Center, we cut him loose, lose out on all his best years, and then reacquire when the best years are done. We've had the player a lot but missed his ENTIRE prime. This is what would occur with a farm team...

Reactions: elmeroil

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
If he can play (big if) I don’t have a problem with having some vets as the 13 and 14 forwards. Not a regular. Guys you can throw in right away due to injury for a game or 2.

That way younger guys keep playing on the farm and don’t waste time in the press box, unless called up for a significant stint.

By no means should he be anything more than PTO before he proves he’s got something left in the tank though. (Probably not)

Veteran leaders and an experienced voice in the room are great but if they can’t actually contribute, it never amounts to much.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
We'd have been better off getting jagr after Calgary than a lot of these flame outs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
We could use his leadership in whatever capacity possible.
I don't buy it.

Doesn't matter what kind of leadership you bring to the table if you can't play. Just look at Brodziak. Similar type of journeyman career. Similar type of "leadership" brought into the dressing room. But the dude has killed us this year on the bottom lines getting buried defensively.

Leadership is great. But only if it's paired with someone who can actually contribute on the ice. We don't need a cheerleader. We need some damned competent hockey players.

Reactions: elmeroil and guymez

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
We'd have been better off getting jagr after Calgary than a lot of these flame outs.
I always thought that was the absolute worst team Jagr couldve picked. I dont know why I just had the vibe it would be horrible. If Jagr picks any other team maybe he finishes the year or is even still playing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad