Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Upshall to PTO (Released)

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
True story...back when I lived in Edmonton I had hurt my right foot falling from a building. Went for xrays and when the xray results came back I had 2 MD's attending to this. The one MD stated that the foot was broken (cant remember which bone) and then started prodding my left foot and asked me if there was any pain. I said no. Then the other MD took over and really stated to manipulate my left foot...still no pain.
I tried to tell them that they had the wrong foot but they interrupted me and had a chat a few feet away.
I finally was able to tell them that I hurt my right foot not my left foot...they looked at the xray and then sheepishly turned it over and gave me a half smile.
I was just happy that they didnt cast the wrong foot. :D

Maybe these Docs moved on to sports medicine. ;)

:laugh:

What a couple of jabronies!!

As the old saying goes "C's still get degrees".

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The problem with Hartnell is he is slow. Have no idea if he's in shape or not, but on a PTO why not.

Slow or not, 13 goals in 62 games is good production although at 36 it could fall off the rails at any moment.
It's just a PTO anyway, ramps up the competition at the very least and brings in another good locker room guy.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Team speed in a vacuum isn't as important as actually putting pucks in and keeping them out.

Guys like Hartnell/Winnik do that.

You aren't going to have 18 McDavid speed players out there.

By definition most teams are likely going to have about half the roster with below average speed... it's what those slower than average players do with the puck and away from the puck that makes the difference on the scoreboard and many average or less than average skaters are still solid at being a net positive while they are on the ice.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Chiarelli believes Upshall will be able to participate in camp soon.

lol after Failing a physical due to a knee condition why would this even be occurring. Oilers so hard up for depth players that a guy that is hockey old and starting to get chronically injured is worthy of mention?

I like the take from spector that the reality is this player should be done.

Chias comment furthers my suspicion that the club wants to give upshall a spot. Even given he failed the physical. Not really impressed with this.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Slow or not, 13 goals in 62 games is good production although at 36 it could fall off the rails at any moment.
It's just a PTO anyway, ramps up the competition at the very least and brings in another good locker room guy.

Hartnell is somebody that could play in a topsix and not look stupid doing it. hell he was a better player than Milan Lucic and I would state that any day of the week. Theres some weird fixations for Boston players in the oilers realm.

That said Hartnell is too old now. He's fallen off badly now. do not want.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Seconded.

What Knee condition results in a player failing a medical one day and passing the same 4 days later.

Only thing I can think of is things like previous damage, swelling, loose particles in knee or knee soreness which is often chronic in those that experience it and not the ideal for pro hockey.

That this episode would not be recurring at all would be some medical wonder. Please get me the same DR. to fix me up good in 4 days. ;)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It really does. What possible difference could 4 extra days make?

I like Upshall and I think he can help the team but IMO this deserves an explanation.
Honestly, I assume it's something do with some swelling. On that assumption, some rehab work (possible draining) and what not would probably make him good to go in a few days.

Reactions: Del Preston

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
It really does. What possible difference could 4 extra days make?

I like Upshall and I think he can help the team but IMO this deserves an explanation.

Agreed. I'm also wondering if the medicals being done are done to the same standard across the NHL? I assume a team couldn't decide reduce the thresholds to ensure a player passes.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Honestly, I assume it's something do with some swelling. On that assumption, some rehab work (possible draining) and what not would probably make him good to go in a few days.

I suppose so.
This is part of the problem....we dont need the details if in fact there was an injury that isnt 100% healed but we are left to guess on how this could happen.
Not many medical conditions (especially something structural) that can resolve in 4 days.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I suppose so.
This is part of the problem....we dont need the details if in fact there was an injury that isnt 100% healed but we are left to guess on how this could happen.
Not many medical conditions (especially something structural) that can resolve in 4 days.
Do we really know why he failed? I never really heard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Looks like you are right on the mark with this Jimmi.

Gregor suggests that there was an irritation (with swelling) that needed a couple of days to calm down.

Reactions: Del Preston

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I suppose so.
I mean it might be something as stupid as an illness that had an affect on his breathing, that cleared up. I would think if it was "serious" the team would have released him from the PTO. I want to know what's up as well, but I'm not concerned the team is doing anything toward.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean it might be something as stupid as an illness that had an affect on his breathing, that cleared up. I would think if it was "serious" the team would have released him from the PTO. I want to know what's up as well, but I'm not concerned the team is doing anything toward.

Good call. :nod:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
DEV_0502_slide.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad