Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Bear was out in the playins we would of done better to. Yup, hes been a disaster, and a main reason a player like Barrie was moved in here.

Im fine with Bear staying in Edmonton but hes a bottom pairing D man, been already passed by Bouchard.
I bet if Bear played vs Flames the last 2 games he would have played atleast 10 more mins than Bouchard total averaging well over 20mins.
So No Bouchard hasnt already passed him. Neither has Larsson.
Barrie gets the PP time and needs Nurse defensively otherwise he doesnt come close either.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I hope to still see you post when Barrie and Nurse stop scoring goals at twice their xGF.

Nurse/Bear had a HDCF/60 of almost 18.

Nurse/Barrie have a HDCF/60 of 8.55.

And dont let me even get into the defensive analytics, because Barrie has been dragging Nurse down a ton there.
I hope it never happens and Bouchard-Bear becomes a legit thing. There is no need to drag our players through mud just to make one sound better. They are all Oilers

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Larsson has been amazing in the last ten games or so and really brings an element that our D would lack, otherwise. He was manhandling Jets and Flames in the d-zone and was able to make some crisp outlet passes.
I also saw Barrie make some nice separation plays with the body, followed by some nice pokes and passes to open wingers. He's making me gladly eat crow.
I wonder how a Bouch-Bear pairing would look?

Reactions: LTIR

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
If I'm picking between Larsson and Barrie I let Larsson walk or get traded (maybe a deal with Seattle?)
Lagesson looks ready for some mins.

I'd go Klef / Barrie
Nurse / Bear
Lagesson / Bouch
and either Jones or Koekkoek as #7

Absolutely need to keep Barrie for a couple more years (if he keeps this up)

Reactions: McWeber

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
So you think the team is winning because of bear was out.

When bear was in, he was 4th on the team in GF% at 62.5%.

Maybe our bottom six was the reason we started out 3-6, with studs like turris rocking a 21% GF.

Koekkoek rocking a 25% GF even though being labelled our second best D to start the season by many posters here <- LOL

Bear also had the 3rd highest HDCF% behing RNH and McDavid to start the year, the highest SCF%.

He also had the fourth highest xGF% at 61, meaning his results were where they should of been, and wasn't unlucky/lucky.

There are other stats, man.

Just how many times do people have to be told that unit based metrics skew individual results? 5,000?

Just try and enjoy the results.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I hope to still see you post when Barrie and Nurse stop scoring goals at twice their xGF.

Nurse/Bear had a HDCF/60 of almost 18.

Nurse/Barrie have a HDCF/60 of 8.55.

And dont let me even get into the defensive analytics, because Barrie has been dragging Nurse down a ton there.
You are reading into advanced stats way too much IMO. Oilers are the hottest team in the league right now and Barrie/Nurse are the hottest D pairing. Chances schmances... bottom line is Barrie and nurse put the puck in the net.

The Turtle

Feb 6, 2021
Yeah if he is willing to understand the cap world out there, and negotiates in good faith, I think you need to try and keep him. This is the player we have been begging for, for how long?

If Klefbom is healthy next year, honestly I think getting Barrie and Larsson locked in is more important than spending big on a goalie.

I have argued over and over that while there are certainly different skill levels, a goaltender is often a product of what is infront on him. Look at Markstrom getting lit up a few times lately.

Nurse-Barrie
Kelfbom-Larsson
Broberg-Bouchard

That is an incredibly strong group.

Barrie on the top pairing is a joke. The guys constantly dominated physically in his own end. I also under no circumstances would be pairing two rookies together. As much flack as a guy like Russel gets for good reason of his contract having him paired with a rookie in the bottom pair covers a lot of defensive mistakes. There's a reason why Bouchard and Jones aren't in the lineup at the same time.

Reactions: AM

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
If I'm picking between Larsson and Barrie I let Larsson walk or get traded (maybe a deal with Seattle?)
Lagesson looks ready for some mins.

I'd go Klef / Barrie
Nurse / Bear
Lagesson / Bouch
and either Jones or Koekkoek as #7

Absolutely need to keep Barrie for a couple more years (if he keeps this up)
I’m on the opposite side of the fence. The thing is you can probably get Larsson for less than he’s making now while Barrie will cost quite a lot more. I think in the next couple Bouchard will be better than Barrie if not close. Larsson does things our other D don’t. I’d rather keep Larsson.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think a Bouchard/Bear pairing could be a very good third pairing for us.

Nurse - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson
Bouchard - Bear
And if we are ready to contend this year:
Nurse-Barrie
Ekholm-Larsson
Bouchard-Bear
Lagesson

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
IMO Barrie isn’t getting near enough love this year around here. He looked great again last night.

His ability to break the puck out has been huge for our team. He evades the forecheck so well and makes smart plays that allow our guys not to get hemmed in. Having him, Bouchard, even Nurse this year, be able to evade pressure on the forecheck and make smart plays IMO is the biggest reason for our success this season

He makes the odd defensive gaff but he has really fit in well on this team.

IMO he’s the best puck moving defenseman this team has had since Visnovsky.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Sounds great! Not sure why the Blues do this though...
Especially considering that one is a UFA, and they literally just signed an almost identical player in Krug to a massive deal...

The Oilers I think will have to choose between Barrie and Larsson this offseason, If they don’t move one of Bear/Bouchard, and I wouldn’t want to make that choice with how those 2 have been playing and not to mention 2 opposite skill sets that are both needed to win.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Barrie on the top pairing is a joke. The guys constantly dominated physically in his own end. I also under no circumstances would be pairing two rookies together. As much flack as a guy like Russel gets for good reason of his contract having him paired with a rookie in the bottom pair covers a lot of defensive mistakes. There's a reason why Bouchard and Jones aren't in the lineup at the same time.
Then let the jokes keep on rolling because that top pairing has been leading the charge from the back end for the last 12 games.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
In the draft for my hockey pool this year I was the Oilers fan getting laughed at for picking Barrie and Nurse for my team. As I kept repeating in the chat: "Anyone who bets against offensively skilled D-men playing with McDavid and Draisaitl is an idiot." A major part of Barrie's success is that teams are terrified of his outlet pass to either of these guys on the PP or on the rush, so he uses his skill to take advantage of the space. It's been glorious to see.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The best thing is seeing Barrie's confidence skyrocket. He's now just fearlessly skating the puck out of his own end (the odd burp here and there;)) , trying long stretch passes, and making plays.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Especially considering that one is a UFA, and they literally just signed an almost identical player in Krug to a massive deal...

The Oilers I think will have to choose between Barrie and Larsson this offseason, If they don’t move one of Bear/Bouchard, and I wouldn’t want to make that choice with how those 2 have been playing and not to mention 2 opposite skill sets that are both needed to win.

Tough decision. I think keeping either player is a dice roll that could blow up in your face. Personally, I would keep Larsson but I don't fault anyone who would rather keep Barrie.

In an ideal world we keep both at respectable contracts for both. I think the future is for Broberg and Bouchard to likely replace both players years down the line.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Some here can only see Barrie's defensive shortcomings. Yep, he's not great or 1st pair quality at defending, but he has a rare offensive skillset that meshes really well with the 2 best players on the planet. He is like have an extra 1st line forward out there lol. High event rover, yes, but highly entertaining :naughty:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some here can only see Barrie's defensive shortcomings. Yep, he's not great or 1st pair quality at defending, but he has a rare offensive skillset that meshes really well with the 2 best players on the planet. He is like have an extra 1st line forward out there lol. High event rover, yes, but highly entertaining :naughty:
Coffey did the same thing. The key, is that these types of players do way more of the good offensive stuff than the odd defensive goofup.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cant complain with Barrie this year, especially given his point totals. However, his season has pretty much gone according to plan. He has cam ein, played a fair amount with the leagues two best players, including on the PP- and had racked up the points as a result. This is a win-win for both parties. I do hope though that we arent ones to give that big contract to him. This is a career year, and his whole intention was to come here for cheap to pump his points up and cash in. I have zero issue with that and its been great.

A similar situation is probably someone like Semin. Who took a one year show me deal with Carolina, scored 44 points in 44 games, and then cash in with a 5 years 7 M deal that was bought on 2 years later.

Play-wise this year, I like him

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
No what scares me is that Barrie is not good enough defensively to go head to head against top forwards. Nurse-Barrie pairing would mean he would have to.

Down the road Bouchard can replace Barrie on PP and Bear can at ES alongside Nurse.
It may be in 5yrs or it might be 5 weeks. Lets see how things pan out and just enjoy the ride.

We dont even know what he would be demanding. Just saying if its close to 7M then expect Nurse to demand more money than what Draisaitl is making.
But how can Nurse's agent make an argument he deserves more than his teammate who just won the Hart/Lindsay/Ross and is clearly a top 3 player in the league?

I think no matter much Nurse grows this year, Draisaitl's contract should set a ceiling on how much someone could demand from the Oilers.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad