Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Keeping Barrie keeps Bouchard on a leash throughout his ELC. It limits his workload, it caps got potential production and limits his earning potential on his second contract unless there's an injury somewhere or he pushes the issue, earning more ice time.

I want to hear about Bouchard having 'good metrics' and developing responsible habits. I don't want Bouchard to be a one-dimensional player when all is said and done. Running with him in Barrie's place is essentially pushing all of the chips into middle. Sink or swim.

Reactions: joestevens29

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My thought are we are going to lose a good young defenceman in the expansion. To be honest my new favorite to hold on to is Lagesson but I also still see a real player in Jones. Bear as well. We are going to lose one of them.

Even if we left all three unprotected... and let's say a signed Larsson as well, we will only lose one player to Seattle. No urgent need to make a move or stress out because we stockpiled with young defencemen.
I have a feeling we're going to trade Jones in the near future.

Reactions: gordonhught

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Why wouldn't his agent ask for that? He's leading the NHL in D scoring. His agent isn't doing his job if he isn't pushing for a contract like that.
We will see. Barrie benefits from playing with our three best players and it inflates his stats, that's how it works. He benefits from playing with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse but all three of these players are seeing the benefits of playing with an offensive puck moving force like Barrie.

At the end of the day I don't think Barrie gets 6 million for six years, probably not even ballpark in this economy. So why wouldn't he sign with Edmonton? He already did once and it looks like he's enjoying himself.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I'd wait on the market before you put a price point on Barrie. He's one player who's going to decide where he goes. If he's willing to stick it out on a three or four year term at ~$6m, the Oilers would be foolish to let him walk. He produces at the rate of the top line forward everybody wants to go sign.

Why are we comparing him to a prospect? He's producing at a career pace. There's absolutely no indication that he's going regress in the near future.
He seems like a great fit and kudos for him picking a team that he figured would allow him to cash in.
A lot of Oiler fans shat on him the first month of the season, he was bad but there seems to be an adjustment period for D, we saw the same thing here in Vancouver with Nate and Hamonic, who have both settled in and look good.
Seems that way with Barrie as well.
The only thing that scares me a bit is if he regresses offensively he doesn't bring much else to the table.
Honestly I see the Kraken offering a deal that other team's won't wanna pay.
PMD RHD, are hard to find and the Kraken won't be getting any of his calibre through the draft and being an expansion team that hasn't had the pandemic affect them, I could see a six×seven type of offer.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'd wait on the market before you put a price point on Barrie. He's one player who's going to decide where he goes. If he's willing to stick it out on a three or four year term at ~$6m, the Oilers would be foolish to let him walk. He produces at the rate of the top line forward everybody wants to go sign.

Half his points are on the PP and half of his EV points are 2nd assists. He's got his qualities, but he's swimming in McDavid's wake. $6M+ is an overpay for a guy who can't hold his head above water away from 97 or even 25.

Why are we comparing him to a prospect? He's producing at a career pace. There's absolutely no indication that he's going regress in the near future.

That's not the right question. The right question is "given his deployment, can Barrie's performance be replicated to some extent by a younger and cheaper player?" I think the answer is absolutely yes.

I mean the fact that he's producing at a career pace with the two best forwards in the game is a red flag, not a selling point!

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Keeping Barrie keeps Bouchard on a leash throughout his ELC. It limits his workload, it caps got potential production and limits his earning potential on his second contract unless there's an injury somewhere or he pushes the issue, earning more ice time.

I want to hear about Bouchard having 'good metrics' and developing responsible habits. I don't want Bouchard to be a one-dimensional player when all is said and done. Running with him in Barrie's place is essentially pushing all of the chips into middle. Sink or swim.

Overpaying Barrie to keep from overpaying Bouchard is just robbing Peter to pay Paul, except Peter is an RFA with limited bargaining power and Paul is playing with Jesus Christ himself.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I have a feeling we're going to trade Jones in the near future.
I still like the player and think he has good upside. Do you have any targets or a range of player you think we could acquire for Jones?

Maybe we could get somewhat of an overpay from Columbus as to unite the Jones brothers. I can see the possibility that could turn out bad for us in the long run with Caleb turning it on, but that club might have more interest in Caleb since Seth's contract runs out after 2021-22 and it doesn't strike me as a fun place for the players just right now.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
In the interview post game, Barrie was asked if he has had extension discussions with the Oilers. Barrie seemed surprised by the question and then essentially stated that he is not having any conversations with anyone, including his agent, about his next contract.

To me, that sounded like Barrie is going to FA and he will be seeking a big deal. The fact that he admits that he has not had any talks about an extension here speaks volumes.
I gathered the same from him. He came here on a 1 year discount to get paid elsewhere. What we need to do is show other free agents that they could be the next Tyson Barrie and keep a rotating cast of 1 year FAs coming in cheap and over performing.

Reactions: Little Fury

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We will see. Barrie benefits from playing with our three best players and it inflates his stats, that's how it works. He benefits from playing with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse but all three of these players are seeing the benefits of playing with an offensive puck moving force like Barrie.

At the end of the day I don't think Barrie gets 6 million for six years, probably not even ballpark in this economy. So why wouldn't he sign with Edmonton? He already did once and it looks like he's enjoying himself.

Mcdavid and Drai's numbers get a slight bump with Barrie, it's true. But their numbers away from him are still great while Barrie's go into the toilet without them.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Mcdavid and Drai's numbers get a slight bump with Barrie, it's true. But their numbers away from him are still great while Barrie's go into the toilet without them.
Says his scoring history in the NHL? C'mon man, that's flat out wrong, Tyson Barrie has more points (G: 586 Pts: 374) than Dougie Hamilton (G: 580 Pts 321) over the same time period. I've watched Tyson Barrie for a long time and his game is evolving. He's cycling the puck like a whirling dervish. He's having the time of his life playing with these superstars.

Who does score on this team away from Mcdavid and Draisaitl?

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You don't give him over 7. His defense is still lacking. He is a great player and one we really want to keep. However, a lot of his success is the result of Drai and McD being so unreal on the pp.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Says his scoring history in the NHL? C'mon man, that's flat out wrong, Tyson Barrie has more points (G: 586 Pts: 374) than Dougie Hamilton (G: 580 Pts 321) over the same time period. I've watched Tyson Barrie for a long time and his game is evolving. He's cycling the puck like a whirling dervish.

It's not wrong to say that Barrie needs McDavid and Drai more than they need him. Thems are just facts.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
Bouchard is not even close to a suitable replacement for Barrie. I hope Bouchard develops into a top offensive defenseman in the NHL someday. Barrie is that top offensive defenseman currently. Not re-signing Barrie would be a huge blow to the D corps.

Reactions: dem

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You don't think nearly anyone's numbers wouldn't go into the toilet comparatively if they go from playing with McDavid/Nuge, Drai/Yamamoto, to Khaira/Kassian/Haas/Turris?

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
You don't give him over 7. His defense is still lacking. He is a great player and one we really want to keep. However, a lot of his success is the result of Drai and McD being so unreal on the pp.
Hold on a second... who said anything about 7 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad