Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
He's been great from the few games I've watched all year; even if he's only here for this season, the sheltering that he and Larsson provided for Bouchard to develop has been of tremendous value. This is the reason that I hope Larsson stays (for the future addition of Broberg), but Tyson Barrie has helped out Larsson by having carried heavy minutes, as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I know he doesn’t play defence well but his puck-moving ability and offensive instincts has made things so much easier for our forwards.

it’s night and day when he has the puck versus someone like Larsson or Russell.

Seeing Barrie’s playmaking ability on that Puju goals makes me want to lock him up sooner than later

Reactions: Patch101

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think the Oilers should do a $5.5M x 2 extension with Barrie. Brings him to the end of Bouchard's ELC.

He might be able to get a longer term elsewhere (three or four years) but not at a much higher AAV.

Nurse is a UFA in 2022-23 and Bear is an RFA. Having Barrie signed puts the Oilers in a stronger bargaining position.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I was begging for this signing in the offseason.
I'll also admit that I was starting to regret it a few games in, but he's really changed the way this team functions, and with Klefbom added back into the mix I'd like to see him stick. We really need someone like him even if we have to shelter him a bit defensively.

It would come down to keeping either Barrie (should either consider it) or Larsson though.
Who would u rather.

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I was begging for this signing in the offseason.
I'll also admit that I was starting to regret it a few games in, but he's really changed the way this team functions, and with Klefbom added back into the mix I'd like to see him stick. We really need someone like him even if we have to shelter him a bit defensively.

It would come down to keeping either Barrie (should either consider it) or Larsson though.
Who would u rather.
I would take Barrie over Larsson.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I would take Barrie over Larsson.

At what price, though? Barrie's cost will be at least double assuming he maintains anywhere close to this scoring pace. Considering we already have Bouchard and to a lesser extent Bear as right-handed dmen with a puck-moving skillset and offensive ability, it might be tough to justify paying a lot for Barrie. If we didn't have a guy like Bouchard coming up, the decision would likely be straightforward to sign Barrie at whatever the market dictates, but with Bouchard emerging (and to a lesser extent Bear still being in the fold), it muddies the waters a bit.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
At what price, though? Barrie's cost will be at least double assuming he maintains anywhere close to this scoring pace. Considering we already have Bouchard and to a lesser extent Bear as right-handed dmen with a puck-moving skillset and offensive ability, it might be tough to justify paying a lot for Barrie. If we didn't have a guy like Bouchard coming up, the decision would likely be straightforward to sign Barrie at whatever the market dictates, but with Bouchard emerging (and to a lesser extent Bear still being in the fold), it muddies the waters a bit.
I think he's worth a fair bit if he keeps up his current level of play. I would keep him to mentor Bouchard and I move out Bear/Larsson and try to replace them with some stay at home D. I still think Goaltending should be the priority with the cap space before worrying about the other gaps in the team.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I think he's worth a fair bit if he keeps up his current level of play. I would keep him to mentor Bouchard and I move out Bear/Larsson and try to replace them with some stay at home D. I still think Goaltending should be the priority with the cap space before worrying about the other gaps in the team.

I generally agree with this. Barrie is definitely worth a fair bit on the market if he keeps his play near this level (Krug is probably not a terrible comparison and we saw what he got with term), but I think he might be worth a little less to this specific team given the context of our cap and players with similar skillsets who are younger and cheaper. Given other holes on the team's roster and the ability of other guys within the system to bring similar things that Barrie brings (I think Bouchard has the potential to clearly be a better all around defenseman than Barrie), I do wonder if spending money elsewhere wouldn't be a bad idea (goaltender, 3C, etc.).

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm loving what Barrie is bringing currently, but I still don't see him re-signing.

Right now, Bouchard better be absorbing as much as he can from Barrie. Next year you hope he can step into Barrie's role, and Bear can bring the offence Bouchard's providing right now as a rookie.

I honestly think Larsson is the more important re-sign, or will at least need his role replaced by a UFA. Beyond Lagesson, I don't see anyone in the system that can step into his role

Ideally you also get Klefbom back next season, who would take K4's minutes from this season. I honestly don't think he'll last, but he'll still get a shot to start the year. (I see Samorukov eventually taking his role)

My ideal blueline for the start of next season...

Nurse-Bouchard
Klefbom-Bear
Lagesson-Larsson

That's working towards...

Nurse-Bouchard
Samorukov-Bear
Broberg-Larsson

... in the 22/23 season. With Larsson playing the mentor role for the rookie Broberg.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still think we let Barrie walk.

I've always wanted Barrie, and he's come as advertised, but it's a cap world.

The right strategy is to give Nurse his money, and keep Bouchard in the lineup to develop him to replace Barrie.

There's still ways we could keep him, but it would involve some trading. I wont get into that here because we'd be walking into video game logic a bit. But you can imagine a scenario where just keep Barrie and trade a major D for our long term answer in net.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We will sign Barrie 100%

I don't understand the people who say he should move along, did you watch the game last night, well he was a major component in that dismantling with puck movement. A skilled team needs puck movement from the backend or you don't really even have a skilled team.

Just the momentum created when this club gets accelerated is hockey magic, I'd like to see more. It's like kicking the other club in the balls then droping the puck and saying let's go.

Ask McDavid what he thinks of Barrie. He is a perfect fit. We got nobody else on the roster that can do what he does. "Just let him move along," some of you are stupid, and Tyson Barrie is the anti-stupid antidote so take some?

And I'll reiterate, a reason for the major advancement in Darnell Nurse's all around play on the ice surface this season is being paired with Tyson Barrie.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Barrie is looking great offensively but Larsson is also proving his worth.

We dont win these games without either.

I dont want neither traded (nor Bear nor Bouchard) this year for picks. Keep em all and see how things shake out after playoffs and who we add at LD around deadline.

Reactions: McJesusSaves97

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Barrie is looking great offensively but Larsson is also proving his worth.

We dont win these games without either.

I dont want neither traded (nor Bear nor Bouchard) this year for picks. Keep em all and see how things shake out after playoffs and who we add at LD around deadline.
Sign them both. Neither should receive top dollar. Larsson will take a shave and Barrie should come at a reasonable cap hit. He's a smart guy and he chose to come to Edmonton for a reason.

Believe it or not, check my post history, I've been an advocate of moving Evan Bouchard to LD from day one.

And we are going to lose someone to expansion so now might be the time to stock up.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Sign them both. Neither should receive top dollar. Larsson will take a shave and Barrie should come at a reasonable cap hit. He's a smart guy and he chose to come to Edmonton for a reason.
Not sure Larsson will sign here knowing he could likely be #7 Dman behind Bouch, Bear and Barrie fairly quickly.
Yeh, I would sign then both after expansion draft and work with the nicer problem of having too many good RDs

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Not sure Larsson will sign here knowing he could likely be #7 Dman behind Bouch, Bear and Barrie fairly quickly.
Yeh, I would sign then both after expansion draft and work with the nicer problem of having too many good RDs
Larsson won't be a number seven.

We become so deep a guy like Bear becomes available in a trade or is on the bottom pairing full time.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I think Barrie is going to be looking for a 5–6 year term. He's not going to want to defeat the purpose of signing a small 1-year deal with Edmonton in the first place. I think the Oilers wait until the offseason to consider re-singing him, at any rate. That's the smart thing to do: see how he does over the course of a full season and (hopefully but more importantly) in the playoffs.

Reactions: LTIR

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I think Barrie is going to be looking for a 5–6 year term. He's not going to want to defeat the purpose of signing a small 1-year deal with Edmonton in the first place. I think the Oilers wait until the offseason to consider re-singing him, at any rate. That's the smart thing to do: see how he does over the course of a full season and (hopefully but more importantly) in the playoffs.
Show me some evidence of Tyson Barrie being this selfish mercenary. You guys repeat this crap over and over like a Greta Thunberg mantra. I've heard rumor of the RNH ask. That sounds greedy to me and it's something actually substantiated.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We also have to factor in his defensive baby sitter when opening up the wallet for him.
Nurse would demand a much higher number than whatever we give Barrie.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
We still need a Larsson type on the RH side. Whether that’s Larsson or someone else depends on his contract demands. After that, there is room for two of Barrie, Bouchard, and Bear. If you think you can re-sign Barrie to a good value deal, you trade Bear. If not, we ride Barrie into the playoffs or trade him to a contender for a pick at the deadline. I can’t see us ticking off the team like that, so I think we just ride him and see what happens in the off season. My guess is we let him go because Nuge is a UFA, Nurse has a big raise on the horizon, and we need some cap space to upgrade our goalie tandem.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Show me some evidence of Tyson Barrie being this selfish mercenary. You guys repeat this crap over and over like a Greta Thunberg mantra. I've heard rumor of the RNH ask. That sounds greedy to me and it's something actually substantiated.

I don't know what this means :dunno:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We also have to factor in his defensive baby sitter when opening up the wallet for him.
Nurse would demand a much higher number than whatever we give Barrie.
Look above in regards to what I say with reference to the Nurse Barrie pairing... it's a match made in heaven.

We can just develop a "Tyson Barrie" of our own it should only take 5 years or we shouldn't be good because being good scares you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad