Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Looks like #22 for Barrie and not 94

I don't think 94 should be off the market. I don't think Smyth meets the standard the Oilers have set for having their number retired. Al Hamilton is an odd case that really shouldn't be part of this discussion. Can anyone say they have ever seen him play?

Other than Hamilton the standard for having your number retired by the Oilers has been Hall of Fame and multiple rings. I have no issue with that standard. Would love to see Nuge, Drai and McDavid all have their numbers retired in 15 years time.

I wouldn't have a problem with somebody wearing 94 again. Given that Barrie only wore that number for one season I think it is good he didn't insist on it here. If he had worn 94 his entire career then I suspect he would have had a chat with Smytty before wearing the number.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think 94 should be off the market. I don't think Smyth meets the standard the Oilers have set for having their number retired. Al Hamilton is an odd case that really shouldn't be part of this discussion. Can anyone say they have ever seen him play?

Other than Hamilton the standard for having your number retired by the Oilers has been Hall of Fame and multiple rings. I have no issue with that standard. Would love to see Nuge, Drai and McDavid all have their numbers retired in 15 years time.

I wouldn't have a problem with somebody wearing 94 again. Given that Barrie only wore that number for one season I think it is good he didn't insist on it here. If he had worn 94 his entire career then I suspect he would have had a chat with Smytty before wearing the number.
And Smyth wouldn't of had an issue with it if it's what barrie wanted.

Either way its a moot point. I agree with your thoughts on retiring numbers too.

Reactions: shoop

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Barrie could also bring a nice return at the TDL. Hopefully we are in a playoff position & don't even need to consider this...

What? Hell no. I want us to resign Barrie after this season. He said so he wants to get a longer term deal with us

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
What? Hell no. I want us to resign Barrie after this season. He said so he wants to get a longer term deal with us
Well to be fair I don't think he actually explicitly said that. He just said Holland him did have talks about a longer term fit but he's focused on the upcoming season for now.

I actually think Barrie may price himself out. We need a player like Larsson more, assuming that Bouchard is capable of replacing some of what Barrie brings. As it looks right now, no one in our system seems to be that prototypical shut down guy.

I don't want us to be the Maple Leafs of Western Canada with no actual solid defensive d-men. If there's cap space we should ideally prioritize team defense next year.

Reactions: Tom Brady

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well to be fair I don't think he actually explicitly said that. He just said Holland him did have talks about a longer term fit but he's focused on the upcoming season for now.

I actually think Barrie may price himself out. We need a player like Larsson more, assuming that Bouchard is capable of replacing some of what Barrie brings. As it looks right now, no one in our system seems to be that prototypical shut down guy.

I don't want us to be the Maple Leafs of Western Canada with no actual solid defensive d-men. If there's cap space we should ideally prioritize team defense next year.

Adam Larsson just does not move the needle enough as a player.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Adam Larsson just does not move the needle enough as a player.
Honestly I think he was getting better after coming back from injury this past season but obviously struggled in the qualifiers. Regardless, I think we'll need that TYPE of player more than a Barrie next offseason. Maybe not necessarily Larsson but someone who can fulfill that shutdown role and eat hard minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Honestly I think he was getting better after coming back from injury this past season but obviously struggled in the qualifiers. Regardless, I think we'll need that TYPE of player more than a Barrie next offseason. Maybe not necessarily Larsson but someone who can fulfill that shutdown role and eat hard minutes.

To be honest how many guys with back injuries age gracefully as they get closer to age 30?

Think Larsson will be here for next season but he's gone after that. Wouldn't be surprised if it's back to New Jersey.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
To be honest how many guys with back injuries age gracefully as they get closer to age 30?

Think Larsson will be here for next season but he's gone after that. Wouldn't be surprised if it's back to New Jersey.
I think Larsson may be a good option if he signed cheap. All depends on how he plays this coming season IMO.

If not him, then take a hard run at Hamilton or someone like David Savard as a backup option.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
He wants a rebound season so he can sign for 6M+ long term next year.
But did he specifically come out and say with us? Would be interesting if Barrie & Bouchard were in the long term plans for the right side...we would need some really strong defensive D to play with both of them...are Nurse & Broberg those guys? Maybe, I guess we will see...

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Think Holland signed Barrie with the one year idea. He would know Barrie has to be sheltered defensively somewhat and limit his even strength minutes. Barrie will see a fair amount of ozone starts in the first half of the season. I think he will do well with Tippet employing him effectively....sometimes i expect against certain teams Barrie may be drinking coffee....and Lagesson will pull in....

But as far as resigning him ...Barrie would have to improve quite alot defensively with both Bouchard and Broberg beating the door down by years end....Perhaps if Klefbom stays out and Larsson is reinjured or doesnt improve....?

21/22

Nurse Bear

Jones Bouchard

Broberg(by Xmas) xxxx

Chances are good , given monetary constraints, xxxx is filled by a vet with a couple of years left in the tank and number 7 is either Lagesson or Berglund or ....

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Trading Smyth was the worst and dumbest thing Lowe ever did as GM. Smyth could've and should've been a lifer and should've had #94 retired.

Glad to see Barrie get #22. Good number. Hopefully it bodes well for his Oiler tenure.

We needed that extra 100-200k that they couldn't bridge the gap on to start our epic rebuild though.

"Hi, this is Kevin Lowe.

After a very eventful week around the hockey club, I wanted to take a moment and communicate to you, our most valued customers, our continued commitment to success.

As I stated last week, our hockey club will always do what we feel is in the best interest of our fans, and in the best interest of building a Stanley Cup championship team here in Oil Country

Right now, we have a core group of veteran players and a wealth of emerging young talent. Last week's trade brought us two more young players in Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra, and another first round draft choice in this year's NHL draft. They will join players like Pouliot, Jacques, Stortini, Brodziak, and Schremp, just to name a few, as potential members of a championship Oilers club. Certainly, along the way, we will add to our roster through trades and free agency when the right opportunities are there, now that we have the resources to do so. Make no mistake; our plan is to return the Stanley Cup to Edmonton.

We have an exciting future ahead of us all, and we look forward to sharing it with you.

Thanks again for your ongoing support of Oilers Hockey."

lol, literally zero of the players mentioned amounted to anything. Maybe I should give Brodziak a little love.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
We needed that extra 100-200k that they couldn't bridge the gap on to start our epic rebuild though.

"Hi, this is Kevin Lowe.

After a very eventful week around the hockey club, I wanted to take a moment and communicate to you, our most valued customers, our continued commitment to success.

As I stated last week, our hockey club will always do what we feel is in the best interest of our fans, and in the best interest of building a Stanley Cup championship team here in Oil Country

Right now, we have a core group of veteran players and a wealth of emerging young talent. Last week's trade brought us two more young players in Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra, and another first round draft choice in this year's NHL draft. They will join players like Pouliot, Jacques, Stortini, Brodziak, and Schremp, just to name a few, as potential members of a championship Oilers club. Certainly, along the way, we will add to our roster through trades and free agency when the right opportunities are there, now that we have the resources to do so. Make no mistake; our plan is to return the Stanley Cup to Edmonton.

We have an exciting future ahead of us all, and we look forward to sharing it with you.

Thanks again for your ongoing support of Oilers Hockey."

lol, literally zero of the players mentioned amounted to anything. Maybe I should give Brodziak a little love.

Shows how Kevin Lowe is crazy.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Trading Smyth was the worst and dumbest thing Lowe ever did as GM. Smyth could've and should've been a lifer and should've had #94 retired.

Glad to see Barrie get #22. Good number. Hopefully it bodes well for his Oiler tenure.

Smyth made the choice - he opted for maximum money over a career with one team in a city he loved and was loved. Faced with that Oiler management made the hard decision to secure assets instead of the risk of losing Smyth for nothing. Unfortunately the Oilers inept scouting turned this bounty into a bad return. When given a second choice as a UFA to sign in Edmonton, Smyth opted again for the maximum money contract. Can't blame a player to follow the money with short career windows but Smyth is a textbook example where sometimes taking less to play in optimal circumstances is worth taking a bit less than is available elsewhere.

#94 was a very good Oiler for many years. But banner recognition in Edmonton is rightfully limited to the true elite that accomplish Hockey Hall of Fame recognition imo. This should never be watered down or you become a marginal franchise (cough Canucks cough) that have far lower standards for celebrating organizational talent.

Barrie is going to be an electric addition for this Oiler team. I can't wait for him to step into top power play minutes and have no qualms whether it is as #22 or #94 if it was his preference.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Smyth made the choice - he opted for maximum money over a career with one team in a city he loved and was loved. Faced with that Oiler management made the hard decision to secure assets instead of the risk of losing Smyth for nothing. Unfortunately the Oilers inept scouting turned this bounty into a bad return. When given a second choice as a UFA to sign in Edmonton, Smyth opted again for the maximum money contract. Can't blame a player to follow the money with short career windows but Smyth is a textbook example where sometimes taking less to play in optimal circumstances is worth taking a bit less than is available elsewhere.

#94 was a very good Oiler for many years. But banner recognition in Edmonton is rightfully limited to the true elite that accomplish Hockey Hall of Fame recognition imo. This should never be watered down or you become a marginal franchise (cough Canucks cough) that have far lower standards for celebrating organizational talent.

Barrie is going to be an electric addition for this Oiler team. I can't wait for him to step into top power play minutes and have no qualms whether it is as #22 or #94 if it was his preference.
Ha let's just hope we have a season or else that sweet deal will be wasted for nothing

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ha let's just hope we have a season or else that sweet deal will be wasted for nothing

Low risk high reward. Especially with Klefbom out it is very difficult to imagine a better signing to replace at least one element of what Klefbom does for this team. Can't be better than a #1 league PP from last year but Barrie brings very compelling new dimension to the PP and creativity and puck moving abilities which has been lacking for ages on the Oil blue.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I liked this signing initially but woof is it looking bad so far
he literally doesn't piss a drop offensively and is exactly what I thought he was defensively...terrible and soft

what happened to his puck-moving? we were supposed to spend LESS time in the defensive zone and its the exact opposite

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I liked this signing initially but woof is it looking bad so far
he literally doesn't piss a drop offensively and is exactly what I thought he was defensively...terrible and soft

what happened to his puck-moving? we were supposed to spend LESS time in the defensive zone and its the exact opposite
Him on the PP I won't put the blame on him for at least. It's been made pretty obvious that the PP is all instincts for the boys and throwing a right shot there just...made them overthink.

But his 5v5 play? Oh boy. Maybe he needs a certain kind of partner to perform but whatever it is he needs to figure it out. We added a puck moving dman to a team needing one and now he can barely pass?
Something something Edmonton water.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Him on the PP I won't put the blame on him for at least. It's been made pretty obvious that the PP is all instincts for the boys and throwing a right shot there just...made them overthink.

But his 5v5 play? Oh boy. Maybe he needs a certain kind of partner to perform but whatever it is he needs to figure it out. We added a puck moving dman to a team needing one and now he can barely pass?

Whenever the Oilers sign a free agent I always get the ominous feeling that the rest of the league knows something about the guy that the Oilers don't. I guess its called paranoia but as Woody Allen said................

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

that's the scary part...people in Edmonton clamouring for an offensive puck-moving defenceman for YEARS here and he's been nothing short of disappointing

I always knew he was butter soft and bad defensively, but thought his offence and passing would make for it...so far, zlitch

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad