Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I liked this signing initially but woof is it looking bad so far
he literally doesn't piss a drop offensively and is exactly what I thought he was defensively...terrible and soft

what happened to his puck-moving? we were supposed to spend LESS time in the defensive zone and its the exact opposite

His puck movement has been fine with Draisaitl, better actually than Leon sees with his own linemates. Drai finds open areas, Drai takes and distributes high success cycle passes. Barrie doesn't look as good paired with other lines that seem incapable of making 2-3 passes in a row.

A large part of our trouble in transition game is how inept many of the players on this team are in taking or giving passes. Half a dozen players we dress any night are not even reliable in this basic hockey skill. A few of them seem not to even want the puck.

Barrie is foisted into that roster situation in a pandemic year where a disjointed club that isn't smooth in basic skills is limited in how much they can practice. Barries transtion game will look more informed with players that are capable of playing that game.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
His puck movement has been fine with Draisaitl, better actually than Leon sees with his own linemates. Drai finds open areas, Drai takes and distributes high success cycle passes. Barrie doesn't look as good paired with other lines that seem incapable of making 2-3 passes in a row.

A large part of our trouble in transition game is how inept many of the players on this team are in taking or giving passes. Half a dozen players we dress any night are not even reliable in this basic hockey skill. A few of them seem not to even want the puck.

Barrie is foisted into that roster situation in a pandemic year where a disjointed club that isn't smooth in basic skills is limited in how much they can practice. Barries transtion game will look more informed with players that are capable of playing that game.
2 points and a -6
he's been taken off the PP and barely heard his name once last night
Bear is light-years better than him this year

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
2 points and a -6
he's been taken off the PP and barely heard his name once last night
Bear is light-years better than him this year

We're 8 games in. This is what we got. I prefer in the instance to at least think there is going to be improvement. Barrie has shown me moments and that he works well with Drai, with Nuge at times, even with Kahun. McD is a harder player to get used to and many struggle with that, forwards or D. As far as trying to hit our bottomsix with a break out pass, good luck. may as well ice the puck....(sarcasm) ;)

Reactions: GOilers88

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Barrie was mainly brought in to quarter back the PP and he has failed at that. Outside of that, he's playing like an average #4 on the 2nd pairing which is fine. Just don't put him back on the PP until he masters it during practice.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Barrie was mainly brought in to quarter back the PP and he has failed at that. Outside of that, he's playing like an average #4 on the 2nd pairing which is fine. Just don't put him back on the PP until he masters it during practice.

The Oilers are currently ranked 18th in the league for their PP and went 2 for 2 last night with the man advantage.

"master it during practice" thanks for the coaching advice tips.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
But he isn’t even playing #4

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers are currently ranked 18th in the league for their PP and went 2 for 2 last night with the man advantage.

"master it during practice" thanks for the coaching advice tips.
Exactly my point. The Oilers were like 0 for 17 PP with Barrie on it. After being taken off the PP and the Oilers putting a left hand shot D, they went 2 for 2 last night and Oilers also scored a goal just after the PP ended in the first Winnipeg game.

There's still lots of room for the PP to grow. Nurse on the PP is not a permanent thing. Barrie very well could click and turn the PP up a notch.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Barrie has enough negative in his game that brining him in was a big risk. Especially with Klefbom out.

Much like Toronto last year we were hoping for a great offensive defenseman to take our already impressive superstars to insane levels.

I have followed Barrie off and on over the years and the vast majority of what I've heard is this guy will put up points in one way or another but still manage to sink the team overall.

It's early. He could still turn it around. But those drumming up excuses need to recognize this was a risky gamble from day one and is currently failing and most likely will fail.

What makes the whole thing strange to me is having Bouchard just sitting there with a better offensive tool set and realistically at worst similar defensive abilities.

We gave Barrie every opportunity and it's overdue for Bouchard to be given a shot.

Ps: yes I know Larsson is as bad or worse but trading one O RD for one is apples to apples.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's better than what he's shown, but he isn't as much of a fit on the top unit PP.

When the play ia always designed to start from RNH on the LW, Barrie being a RH shot isn't as good a fit as the Klef, who could at least threaten to walk into a shot, even if his shoulder was falling off.

They could try and accommodate him, but that involves QB'ing the PP from the RW side where Draisaitl is, which leaves only Barrie as the a one-time option; or with Barrie, but that makes McDavid in the shot or RNH on the LW half wall quite unthreatening...

Bouchard would/will have the same issue sadly.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He's better than what he's shown, but he isn't as much of a fit on the top unit PP.

When the play ia always designed to start from RNH on the LW, Barrie being a RH shot isn't as good a fit as the Klef, who could at least threaten to walk into a shot, even if his shoulder was falling off.

They could try and accommodate him, but that involves QB'ing the PP from the RW side where Draisaitl is, which leaves only Barrie as the a one-time option; or with Barrie, but that makes McDavid in the shot or RNH on the LW half wall quite unthreatening...

Bouchard would/will have the same issue sadly.
Bouchard would have the shot and could stand at left point instead if the coach had a brain.
Barrie is just not a scoring threat from point.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bouchard would have the shot and could stand at left point instead if the coach had a brain.
Barrie is just not a scoring threat from point.
Ideally a RHD should work on our PP and also enhance it even further. The issue with Barrie is, he looks lost in a sense he either doesn't understand the system or he's afraid to make mistakes which ultimately leading him to more mistakes.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Ideally a RHD should work on our PP and also enhance it even further. The issue with Barrie is, he looks lost in a sense he either doesn't understand the system or he's afraid to make mistakes which ultimately leading him to more mistakes.
Yeh, maybe its still adjustment period.
In any case 3.75M x 1 yr was worth the gamble on Barrie. He just seems a step slower from his COL version.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yeh, maybe its still adjustment period.
In any case 3.75M x 1 yr was worth the gamble on Barrie. He just seems a step slower from his COL version.
Everything about him just seems slower than the usual Colorado days. His thought process, his body language, his skating, his passing are off. Barrie, Ennis and Turris all systems guys. We know they all played well somewhere at some point. It's definitely an adjustment period.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I didn't expect his offensive side of the game to be so messy. Poor decisions. Maybe it's a gelling thing, but geez we don't have much time for that, so just fire the puck and get it through if you're gonna be a useless passer.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Barrie was not brought in for his defensive work, or his physicality, or his dressing room speeches. I understood it was mostly to help on the PP and keep his head above water 5X5. Since he's been pulled off the PP, what is his function here exactly?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's been providing us with offense from the blueline for sure. The issue that I have is that when we play heavier teams he really struggles in his own end both defending and breaking out. This is why IMO we must not go crazy and give him #1D pay.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
The offense is there for sure. That said I still think that he'd be a liability in this role in a series against the likes of Winnipeg or Calgary.
Pretty good news for the Oilers since we knew we weren't getting defense with Barrie.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Well he has been a goal scoring machine this season so he has also been up in the play a lot.
How has Darnell preformed in the playoffs and play-ins... I'll save you the consideration because he played like shit both times, arguably, even directly, more than proportionally the reason we got bounced both times.

I say trade him now because his value will never be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad