Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Canucks fans on the mains trying to say that Barrie isn’t pmd lmao. :skull:

They're just jelly that he turned down playing second fiddle there. And, more importantly, they're idiot fair-weather fans that know nothing about hockey

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Don't want to see Barrie paired with Nurse, that would just be improper utilization of him. Just let Nurse & Bear build on the chemistry they already have, they were a very solid pairing in the regular season imo.

I'd LIKE to see Barrie paired with Jones, but unfortunately I think logic will prevail.

Russell - Not a puck mover.
Barrie - Puck mover.
Larsson - Not a puck mover.
Jones - Puck mover.

This logically makes the most sense.
Nurse/Bear
Jones/Larsson
Russell/Barrie

However, I feel that Jones/Barrie would be more lethal/compliment our top two lines better than Russell/Barrie.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Don't want to see Barrie paired with Nurse, that would just be improper utilization of him. Just let Nurse & Bear build on the chemistry they already have, they were a very solid pairing in the regular season imo.

I'd LIKE to see Barrie paired with Jones, but unfortunately I think logic will prevail.

Russell - Not a puck mover.
Barrie - Puck mover.
Larsson - Not a puck mover.
Jones - Puck mover.

This logically makes the most sense.
Nurse/Bear
Jones/Larsson
Russell/Barrie

However, I feel that Jones/Barrie would be more lethal/compliment our top two lines better than Russell/Barrie.
on the left side, I think we could say that Russell is our worst skater out of Nurse, Jones, Russell, and Jones is the best skater. I think that makes Russell the best choice for Barrie. It diminishes Russell's weakness when you kind of want Barrie's partner to be a step behind the play and be focused on D. Barrie likes to carry the puck, and he can make bad gambles sometimes. If you play Jones with him, they will be more in sync offensively, but if Barrie makes a bad gamble, Jones is already in the O-zone with him. Oops.

And if Barrie is bottom pairing 5 on 5, that feels bad, but it could be a high-minute third pairing. Our D doesn't have superstars. You could spread out the minutes.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
OT 3 on 3.... droooooooooooool

f*** me.

that’s my wet dream for tonight.

McDavid-Draisaitl-Barrie

mmmmm
3EE880E1-FD9A-4176-9A06-C865228C4DAA.gif

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I wonder what the D pairings would have been had Klefbom not been forced to the LTIR

Klefbom-Barrie
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Larsson

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think Nurse-Barrie is what you have to work with. Due to his offence, this team is going to want Barrie on the ice in as many offensive situations as possible; playing with Nurse means you can risk the occasional difficult match up.

Nurse is also the only LD the team has that can compensate for Barrie's lack of size.

This leaves you with Jones-Larsson in a matchup heavy role (which I don't mind), and Lagesson*-Bear with the mop up minutes.

*My prediction of the offseason, Lagesson beats out Russell for the 6th spot.

It's a pity Klef is on LTIR, imo he'd fit like a glove with Barrie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Says who? Jones looked perfectly fine against Chicago and is the same age as Bear. We are not talking 18-20 year old rookies here, Jones is of an age and experience level where he should be ready to be a contributor at both ends of the ice. The Russell and Larsson pair get defensive minutes because quite frankly if they get caved a little they have been around the league long enough that it shouldn't crush them like it might for Bear and Jones.

I want Barrie playing as many ES minutes as possible so that he can contribute as much as possible offensively, you don't play him with Russell for instance if you want to do that.

Didn't see this post before but gotta disagree with this. Jones saw only 2 games, got just 23mins combined, and saw mostly easy minutes. He was only in at all due to injury. General rule of thumb with D is they typically take longer to develop but you usually know what you got by age 24. Jones is just months away from that date. I means its not concrete but its concerned me how long its taken him to hit the show in an NHL lineup that should be relatively easy to crack. If he was any kind of stud at all he'd have played more than 60 by now. Nurse, who was a more legit prospect had 100's of NHL games in the bag already at Jones current age. Working through the same lineup.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Didn't see this post before but gotta disagree with this. Jones saw only 2 games, got just 23mins combined, and saw mostly easy minutes. He was only in at all due to injury. General rule of thumb with D is they typically take longer to develop but you usually know what you got by age 24. Jones is just months away from that date. I means its not concrete but its concerned me how long its taken him to hit the show in an NHL lineup that should be relatively easy to crack. If he was any kind of stud at all he'd have played more than 60 by now. Nurse, who was a more legit prospect had 100's of NHL games in the bag already at Jones current age. Working through the same lineup.

Nurse always had high end physical tools and toughness to give him that extra push. He also was only dealing with Sekera and Klef here while Jones has had 3 highly paid vets in his way.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Canucks fans on the mains trying to say that Barrie isn’t a pmd lmao. :skull:
To be fair in some ways he’s not. At least in the traditional sense.

He tends to move the puck up the ice as a transporter not as a passer. Not that he’s a bad passer, but that isn’t his game really.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
To be fair in some ways he’s not. At least in the traditional sense.

He tends to move the puck up the ice as a transporter not as a passer. Not that he’s a bad passer, but that isn’t his game really.

That seems to be his reputation, but he's actually near the top of the league in outlet passes and success rate on them.

The NHL’s Top Puck Movers and Puck Transporters

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: