Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Tyson Barrie to a 1-year deal ($3.75M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
All this talk of Barrie being a PP QB and being a big 3 on 3 threat but what doesn't get talked about is that he's going to be a huge boost for the transition game at 5 on 5 most importantly. He had some elite 5 on5 metrics in his last few years in Colorado, was actually more effective at 5 on 5 than he was on the PP.

This, above anything else, is the most important skill he'll bring to the team, his ability to transport the puck at even strength and, finally, a Dman that has poise in the offensive zone. The Oilers haven't had a Dman like that since Visnovsky.
It's too bad that Klefbom is injured because out of all the Dmen on this team, he'd be the most ideal partner for Barrie and Barrie would also make Klefbom better because Klef's minutes would be more manageable without the PP minutes. He'd be more effective as a 21 minute Dman.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
All this talk of Barrie being a PP QB and being a big 3 on 3 threat but what doesn't get talked about is that he's going to be a huge boost for the transition game at 5 on 5 most importantly. He had some elite 5 on5 metrics in his last few years in Colorado, was actually more effective at 5 on 5 than he was on the PP. This, above anything else, is the most important skill he'll bring to the team, his ability to transport the puck at even strength and, finally, a Dman that has poise in the offensive zone. The Oilers haven't had a Dman like that since Visnovsky.
Theo Peckham?

Smh the disrespect..

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
All this talk of Barrie being a PP QB and being a big 3 on 3 threat but what doesn't get talked about is that he's going to be a huge boost for the transition game at 5 on 5 most importantly. He had some elite 5 on5 metrics in his last few years in Colorado, was actually more effective at 5 on 5 than he was on the PP.

This, above anything else, is the most important skill he'll bring to the team, his ability to transport the puck at even strength and, finally, a Dman that has poise in the offensive zone. The Oilers haven't had a Dman like that since Visnovsky.
It's too bad that Klefbom is injured because out of all the Dmen on this team, he'd be the most ideal partner for Barrie and Barrie would also make Klefbom better because Klef's minutes would be more manageable without the PP minutes. He'd be more effective as a 21 minute Dman.

Just please god don't end up with a Russell/Barrie pairing. What a nightmare that would be. Russell ringing crap around the boards getting us stuck in our zone with Barrie in a defensive posture for 60%+ of his ice time.

Although, Russell/Larsson is a pretty consistent nightmare too. Two guys that can't move the puck.

Hard decisions for Tippett with this lineup. Dream would have been to find a way to move Russell and get a better LHD to replace Klef, but we probably missed the window. Lots of turd D were moved early on in the off-season. Probably no moves out there for Russell. I'm doubting the org even tried to move him to be honest.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just please god don't end up with a Russell/Barrie pairing. What a nightmare that would be. Russell ringing crap around the boards getting us stuck in our zone with Barrie in a defensive posture for 60%+ of his ice time.

Although, Russell/Larsson is a pretty consistent nightmare too. Two guys that can't move the puck.

Hard decisions for Tippett with this lineup. Dream would have been to find a way to move Russell and get a better LHD to replace Klef, but we probably missed the window. Lots of turd D were moved early on in the off-season. Probably no moves out there for Russell. I'm doubting the org even tried to move him to be honest.

I think that'll be the most likely pairing funny enough. Russell is the most "stay at home" Dman they have on the left side so he'd be a natural fit with Barrie in that respect. I'd be intrigued by a Jones-Barrie pairing but I think Jones needs a more steady partner as his minutes elevate.

I'm almost certain it'll be Nurse-Bear, Jones-Larsson, Russell-Barrie to start just looking at styles complimenting each other. I think they need a more experienced #7 because somebody is going to get injured and they have zero experience outside of the top 6.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I talked about it the moment rumors of him being signed occurred.

The transition and pmd component he brings anytime he's on ice is huge for this club. I think it selling Barrie short, as well, to compare with Visnovsky. The latter had relatively quiet years in Edmonton. he was injured a lot too afairc so I don't really think we ever saw a healthy Visnovsky here at his best. He bookended good career before and after but results here were non stellar.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder if adding Barrie means Holland will take his time with the Bear extension. Even if we start the season with Larsson/Barrie/Bouchard on the right side we could do okay.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I wonder if adding Barrie means Holland will take his time with the Bear extension. Even if we start the season with Larsson/Barrie/Bouchard on the right side we could do okay.
Is there a offersheet risk if we leave him unsigned?

I dont think Oilers will risk Bear missing preseason experience just for cap space or to try Bouchard.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is there a offersheet risk if we leave him unsigned?

I dont think Oilers will risk Bear missing preseason experience just for cap space or to try Bouchard.
I don't think that experience is a big deal for him. He had a full season and some playoffs. He's landed.

But I'm skeptical that we would play hardball with Bear. The team likes him of course, but more importantly I can't imagine him demanding a ton right now. He's a low profile draft pick, and after one season I'd think both sides would want a bridge deal to build his resume. The stakes are higher than 750k or 1 year.

Although I feel it is important for his bridge to be 3 years to match Neal's contract. We don't want Bear's expensive deal to overlap with Neal's. So maybe that's worth going to war with Bear a bit.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think that experience is a big deal for him. He had a full season and some playoffs. He's landed.

But I'm skeptical that we would play hardball with Bear. The team likes him of course, but more importantly I can't imagine him demanding a ton right now. He's a low profile draft pick, and after one season I'd think both sides would want a bridge deal to build his resume. The stakes are higher than 750k or 1 year.

Although I feel it is important for his bridge to be 3 years to match Neal's contract. We don't want Bear's expensive deal to overlap with Neal's. So maybe that's worth going to war with Bear a bit.
Oh, actually going to war with him?? I thought u meant just a hand shake deal with him until we can put Klefbom on LTIR at the start of the season.

Yeh, no thanks. He is a top 4 Dman already and we need him going game #1 of regular season

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oh, actually going to war with him?? I thought u meant just a hand shake deal with him until we can put Klefbom on LTIR at the start of the season.

Yeh, no thanks. He is a top 4 Dman already and we need him going game #1 of regular season
I say go to war in jest. I just mean pushing for a 3 year bridge instead of 1 or 2.

I'm also noticing that he has not signed yet, so there must be some disagreement. So it's not so much my own feelings on this, but just trying to guess at what is going on with that.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Barrie is going to be huge in the offensive zone on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl, we finally got them a Sergei Gonchar to play with. If he kills it you have to look at re signing him. Bouchard needs to prove he’s the better option before you hand him that role.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That seems to be his reputation, but he's actually near the top of the league in outlet passes and success rate on them.

The NHL’s Top Puck Movers and Puck Transporters
Interesting stats. I'll be honest and I'm just basing that on his reputation from Colorado. I wonder how his stats look when in Colorado. From the sounds of it Babcock really tried to change his style to fit the Leafs gameplan. Maybe that impacted how he moves the puck up the ice.

Or maybe his reputation is bunk.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Interesting stats. I'll be honest and I'm just basing that on his reputation from Colorado. I wonder how his stats look when in Colorado. From the sounds of it Babcock really tried to change his style to fit the Leafs gameplan. Maybe that impacted how he moves the puck up the ice.

it was quite clearly a babcock issue, his stats were just fine after keefe took over with good point totals and a +10 in the 47 games with keefe.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

I remember watching an Avs game where Barrie was just flying around... I thought that day about how well his speed and puck carrying would fit with McDavid and Drai, and how he would really open things up on this team. Now my wish has come true.... I am more than excited to see this work. Lots of positives this year.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I remember watching an Avs game where Barrie was just flying around... I thought that day about how well his speed and puck carrying would fit with McDavid and Drai, and how he would really open things up on this team. Now my wish has come true.... I am more than excited to see this work. Lots of positives this year.
I'd say his best asset is his ability to smartly jump up into the play. I remember how insanely valuable it was to have Paul Coffey do the same thing with Gretzky and Kurri. Not saying Barrie is anywhere near Paul Coffey, but it is really hard to deal with a defenseman when you have someone like McDavid pushing the play. No other Oiler defenseman does this so I am hoping Barrie can have an impact in this regard.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

We have had such minimal offensive play utilizing the points for years. Now it makes us even more dangerous in the offensive zone and gives the 3rd and 4th lines a major shot in the arm when Barrie is on the ice.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This was might thought as well, his speed and offensive instincts will compliment how the Oilers move offensively. Be it the rush or during sustained pressure, he should be able to find open areas or soft spots where goals will be generated. Agreed, alot of positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->