Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I wish him the best of luck! Good call on a 1 year deal. Solid gamble and with all 3 goalies contracts up at the end of this season everyone has motivation to perform. If he can be lights out it should cause Talbot to step his game up too because they could be fighting to sign to be the starter the following year.

I am also wondering if Colorado was after him too because it didn't take long for them to sign a goaltender after it was announced.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
Here's a good video if you're interested in an eye test for Koskinen.

Honestly, hilites aren't good to judge a goalie on because the saves that make a highlight reel means there was a breakdown of some sort and the goalie wasn't in prime position. With the exception of breakaways and two on ones obviously.

From this video I don't see too much to be concerned about. Definitely doesn't have the mobility issues that some have trumpeted. This isn't a Gustavsson situation where the guy literally moved like a giraffe on skates. He's got good quick movements, good ready stance for his frame that doesn't reveal holes through the body. Typical high glove position for Scandinavian goalies. Seems to be very active with it as well making a lot of baseball style catches.

Things that stood out to me where he will definitely need to improve is his post integration and his depth management. He rarely goes out much further than the very tip of his crease. Even with his size, I'd like to see him play a bit more aggressive. The post management will be huge as NHL players are very good at jamming the net and shooting from bad angles.

All in all, I'm interested to see what he has to offer. He already looks like an upgrade to Montoya and brossoit. I doubt he will take manynstarts away from Talbot though. And definitely don't see enough yet for him to supplant Talbot.

Then again, you don't really need to find the next Tim Thomas in order to win the cup. As this years playoffs have shown, your goalie just has to be mentally strong enough not to let in the squeakers. Every goalie in the playoffs right now has let in a touchdown in one game (maybe except for fleury, can't recall ATM). The position is much more dependant on systems and team play in front of it than in ages past. If Koskinen has that kind of mental fortitude then he can definitely make a career for himself in the NHL.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes because 2.5 for an unproven backup is still too high.
Imo going after Koskinen is a sign that he doesn't want a backup. He doesn't want someone whose NHL performance is established to be mediocre. He is worried that Talbot might not have the goods and is taking a gamble to find a starter. That extra unknown gives Koskinen extra value. The worst case scenario with Koskinen is that he is just an awful fit for the NHL, and then we bury him in the AHL, with a net of 1.5 AAV of dead cap space for this season only. The best case scenario is that we find the next Kiprusoff or Thomas, and have the inside track in re signing the player.

As for the exact cost to get him, maybe lots of GMs were in on him and cost got high. The Islanders seemed to want to bring him over next season.

And btw, I was against this deal when it was rumored to be 2 years. I am a big advocate for overpaying players to take 1 year deals. Cap management is 1000x more important than how ugly a single season cap hit looks.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Here's a good video if you're interested in an eye test for Koskinen.

Honestly, hilites aren't good to judge a goalie on because the saves that make a highlight reel means there was a breakdown of some sort and the goalie wasn't in prime position. With the exception of breakaways and two on ones obviously.

From this video I don't see too much to be concerned about. Definitely doesn't have the mobility issues that some have trumpeted. This isn't a Gustavsson situation where the guy literally moved like a giraffe on skates. He's got good quick movements, good ready stance for his frame that doesn't reveal holes through the body. Typical high glove position for Scandinavian goalies. Seems to be very active with it as well making a lot of baseball style catches.

Things that stood out to me where he will definitely need to improve is his post integration and his depth management. He rarely goes out much further than the very tip of his crease. Even with his size, I'd like to see him play a bit more aggressive. The post management will be huge as NHL players are very good at jamming the net and shooting from bad angles.

All in all, I'm interested to see what he has to offer. He already looks like an upgrade to Montoya and brossoit. I doubt he will take manynstarts away from Talbot though. And definitely don't see enough yet for him to supplant Talbot.

Then again, you don't really need to find the next Tim Thomas in order to win the cup. As this years playoffs have shown, your goalie just has to be mentally strong enough not to let in the squeakers. Every goalie in the playoffs right now has let in a touchdown in one game (maybe except for fleury, can't recall ATM). The position is much more dependant on systems and team play in front of it than in ages past. If Koskinen has that kind of mental fortitude then he can definitely make a career for himself in the NHL.

Thank you for the well thought out post. Nice to read something that isn't "blahhhhh Chia!!..."

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Imo going after Koskinen is a sign that he doesn't want a backup. He doesn't want someone whose NHL performance is established to be mediocre. He is worried that Talbot might not have the goods and is taking a gamble to find a starter. That extra unknown gives Koskinen extra value. The worst case scenario with Koskinen is that he is just an awful fit for the NHL, and then we bury him in the AHL, with a net of 1.5 AAV of dead cap space for this season only. The best case scenario is that we find the next Kiprusoff or Thomas, and have the inside track in re signing the player.

As for the exact cost to get him, maybe lots of GMs were in on him and cost got high. The Islanders seemed to want to bring him over next season.

And btw, I was against this deal when it was rumored to be 2 years. I am a big advocate for overpaying players to take 1 year deals. Cap management is 1000x more important than how ugly a single season cap hit looks.

Even if the worst case scenario happens, the contract gets mutually terminated and he goes back to Europe. He isn't coming across the pond to play in the AHL.

Reactions: PerformanceMcOil

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Your argument makes sense when you're going to have a lot of cap space one year and not much the next. Unfortunately we're not going to have cap space this year. We were in no position to be overpaying anyone whether it was on a one year deal or a multi year deal. We wont know the exact situation until we know what the upcoming cap for certainty. But a 1 to 1.5M overpay is enough of a difference that it could prohibit us from making an improvement elsewhere, either at forward or at defense.

Of all positions to overpay... an extra million+ for a backup goalie who hasn't even played in this league is ridiculous.

The only way this deal works is if we're getting one of the best backups in the league who can play 25-30+ games and actually challenge Talbot. Anything less than that is a fail.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Exactly. omg people criticizing the move before they have seen him play because of the player's number.

It's called grasping at straws. There's plenty to criticize Chia and the Oilers for, yet they need to make up reasons.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Your argument makes sense when you're going to have a lot of cap space one year and not much the next. Unfortunately we're not going to have cap space this year. We were in no position to be overpaying anyone whether it was on a one year deal or a multi year deal. We wont know the exact situation until we know what the upcoming cap for certainty. But a 1 to 1.5M overpay is enough of a difference that it could prohibit us from making an improvement elsewhere, either at forward or at defense.

Of all positions to overpay... an extra million+ for a backup goalie who hasn't even played in this league is ridiculous.

The only way this deal works is if we're getting one of the best backups in the league who can play 25-30+ games and actually challenge Talbot. Anything less than that is a fail.
1.5 M overpay is overstating it. That's 1 M AAV, which would be a goalie in Montoya's tier. So the cap waste here is potentially really small. More like 500k or at worst 1 M AAV, and it's arguable if it really is an overpay at all.

I agree that we need cap space for lots of different holes, and so it is strange that we would take a gamble on Koskinen. I'd have to guess that it's based on two things: Chia really wants a goalie that could challenge Talbot, and that they have been scouting Koskinen and that it would be stupid not to jump on this gamble.

It's also true that back up goalie is the least important position in hockey, in general, but it's also true that goaltending is the most important position to get right because there's only one on the ice and in the game at a time. It's not a good idea to just hope that Talbot bounces back, and if he doesn't, hope that Johnson or Lehtonen will somehow be better than Rinne, Fleury, or even Smith.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Goalies with similar cap hits to Koskinen for next season:

Brian Elliott ($2.75M)
Anders Nilsson (2.5)
Michal Neuvirth (2.5)
Mike Condon (2.4)

Some of this summer's UFAs (2017-18 cap hit):

Kari Lehtonen ($5.9M)
Jaroslav Halak (4.5)
Cam Ward (3.3)
Jonathan Bernier (2.75)
Eddie Lack (2.75)
Chad Johnson (2.5)
Andrew Hammond (1.35)
Ondrej Pavelec (1.3)
Anton Khudobin (1.2)
Michael Hutchinson (1.15)
Carter Hutton (1.125)

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Whether he becomes our #1 or pushes Talbot to regain his form and is a solid #2, either would be huge.

Reactions: Cypress

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Welcome to the team sir.
Good luck in the performance of your duties.
Just so you know, Benning, Klefbom and Sekera perform their duties poorly.
Those are three of the team's 'best' five dmen.
So just go ahead and expect one tire fire on each pairing minimum.
Oh, and you may want to disregard anything the goalie coach says.
He has a track record of sending careers off the rails.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Goalies with similar cap hits to Koskinen for next season:

Brian Elliott ($2.75M)
Anders Nilsson (2.5)
Michal Neuvirth (2.5)
Mike Condon (2.4)

Some of this summer's UFAs (2017-18 cap hit):

Kari Lehtonen ($5.9M)