Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Koskinen's is too high but it's also not an entry level contract, which I believe is what Francouz has signed. Another account on Twitter is saying Francouz got a little more than the $690K Dater reported. There is probably some performance bonus money included.
I didn't know you could sign an ELC at 27

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
ELCs are only for 25 and younger players, Francouz contract isn’t an ELC, just one where the GM actually negotiated well.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
CapFriendly has added the contract based on Dater's tweet, so it's listed as unconfirmed for now. But if the deal is one-way like Dater reported then that would mean it is a standard contract, right? There aren't any one-way ELCs as far as I know.

Francouz will be 28 when the contract becomes official on July 1, maybe he's ineligible for an ELC? I have no clue how any of this works.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
CapFriendly has added the contract based on Dater's tweet, so it's listed as unconfirmed for now. But if the deal is one-way like Dater reported then that would mean it is a standard contract, right? There aren't any one-way ELCs as far as I know.

Francouz will be 28 when the contract becomes official on July 1, maybe he's ineligible for an ELC? I have no clue how any of this works.

“Any player of the age of 24 or younger as of September 15th in the year that he signs his contract is subject to the terms of an Entry Level contract. For Europeans, the age is lifted up to 27.”

Francouz will be 28 as of September 15th so
I’m still right that this is likely not an ELC And Sakic is beyond a better negotiator than Chia. unless I’m missing something here. @nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
“Any player of the age of 24 or younger as of September 15th in the year that he signs his contract is subject to the terms of an Entry Level contract. For Europeans, the age is lifted up to 27.”

Francouz will be 28 as of September 15th so
I’m still right that this is likely not an ELC And Sakic is beyond a better negotiator than Chia. unless I’m missing something here. @nabob

You're missing the fact that he is 27...:laugh:

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
You don’t have to watch to know that .946 sv% in 37 games is better than .937 sv% in 31 (amongst many other stats).

Very few NHL goalies are 6' or less tall, especially at the top end. Francouz may be more talented (although I don't know how you can determine that based on such a small spread in save percentage), but size is pretty important for goalies in the NHL these days.

The reality is, neither goalie is likely to succeed, but that doesn't mean either is a bad bet to make. As for the money, it's impossible to say what Koskinen would accept, so I don't know how Chia's negotiation skills can be evaluated in this signing. The only real evaluation should be whether there is a reasonable chance that Koskinen can turn into something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad