Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Ville Husso, Eero Kilpeläinen and Harri Säteri. Looks like Koskinen rejected an invite a while ago, probably back when he didn't have a contract for next season.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he technically doesn't have a contract right now? If I follow my thought process through here and he were to get hurt in the World's, could we not just not sign him?

I mean technically what's from either side pulling out before July 1st?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm ok with 2.5M for Koskinen. The goalie is the most important position on the team. If he steps in and beats Talbot out for the starting position, then that will be a great deal. We need some insurance on Talbot. If he has another season like the last, then we're looking at another wasted season. It's also possible that he's indicated to Chiarelli that he won't be resigning with us when he goes UFA. If that's the case, he'll be dealt next season. We need some potential starters in the mix.

Good point... if Talbot wants to walk away and explore free agency after next season (or simply isn't good enough next year and isn't worth re-signing)... the Oilers would be looking at likely signing 2 goalies and not just 1 because what they have in the pipeline likely still isn't ready for the NHL in 19/20. (Brossoit, Ellis, Skinner, Starrett, Wells all are still question marks at this stage).

Getting Koskinen for a 1 year audition while they see if Talbot can rebound seems a reasonable move.

If either of Koskinen/Talbot shit the bed next season (hopefully doesn't happen)... they'll still need to be looking for another goalie unless someone in the minors takes a leap forward (hopefully that happens).

I'm neutral on Koskinen because while he's a big goalie with good numbers in the KHL... like multiple people have pointed out... that's not the NHL either so it becomes a "wait and see" approach yet again to see if the goaltending will be stable this season for this team. If it isn't solid, the season is likely doomed because I can't see this team overcoming another dud of a season from the goaltenders.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he technically doesn't have a contract right now? If I follow my thought process through here and he were to get hurt in the World's, could we not just not sign him?

I mean technically what's from either side pulling out before July 1st?
Yeah it'd be a terrible look for the org but technically nothing is processed until July 1, So they could do that. I'm guessing that's the main reason he didn't go to the Worlds.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah it'd be a terrible look for the org but technically nothing is processed until July 1, So they could do that. I'm guessing that's the main reason he didn't go to the Worlds.
What is stopping the player from getting more money as well or a better fit?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just about every decent backup in the league. Guys who have actually proven that they can play in the NHL. Any backup is going to have question marks, that's why they are backups, but there's more risk with this one.

The good thing is that Koskinen has the potential to be a #1 as opposed to most available backups but the risk is that he hasn't proven that he can play in the NHL while other backups have so instead of going the safe route, Chia took the higher upside potential.

Not hating the signing, just outlining the risk and saying that the backup problem hasn't been solved until he can show that he can play at the NHL level.

After watching every hilite available on Koskinen, who is extremely awkward, has poor mobility, and doesn't have a hope on NHL one-timers I can't agree there is any huge upside here. This guy looks worse than Nillson in mechanics. He's a flop around goalie. Literally throws himself on the ice because that's quicker for him than using his skates. This guy might have worked in the 70's. probably not.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So Francouz, a guy who was a much better goalie in the KHL signed a 1 year 690k contract with Colorado.

Meanwhile, we sign the lesser player for almost 4 times the amount. Jesus Christ Chia and his overpays.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I guess we will find out if this is a good move or not.

I do think something needed to be done about the backup, those games can be the difference of making the playoffs or not.

Reactions: Cypress

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
So Francouz, a guy who was a much better goalie in the KHL signed a 1 year 690k contract with Colorado.

Meanwhile, we sign the lesser player for almost 4 times the amount. Jesus Christ Chia and his overpays.
This Francouz guy is 5'11, 154 pounds. I don't think his game will translate well to the NHL...

I'm not a big fan of signing Koskinen for 2.5 but at least he's 6'6 and was highly regarded in the past being a 31st overall pick.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This Francouz guy is 5'11, 154 pounds. I don't think his game will translate well to the NHL...

I'm not a big fan of signing Koskinen for 2.5 but at least he's 6'6 and was highly regarded in the past being a 31st overall pick.
Yet the smaller guy has out performed him for the last 3-4 years constantly and makes a lot less. Francouz will probably have similar numbers. Hell even if they are slightly worse in the NHL that's not a 3.5 times difference

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Overpayrelli strikes again. We have the worst management in the league.

Dude has 4 whopping NHL games and gets 2.5 mill from the Oilers? What a joke. For that money you should have been able to get a solid proven NHL tender not some gamble maybe from the KHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015

Dude has 4 whopping NHL games and gets 2.5 mill from the Oilers? What a joke. For that money you should have been able to get a solid proven NHL tender not some gamble maybe from the KHL.

Which proven netminder do you have in mind? Be better than “overpayrelli”.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015

Either Francouz has the worst agent in the world or the NHL gms know something you don’t. Hint: look at his size.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

At this point, I’m just hoping there’s something left after next season when Chia gets canned and by some miracle they hire competent management.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Koskinen's is too high but it's also not an entry-level contract, which I believe is what Francouz has signed. Another account on Twitter is saying Francouz got a little more than the $690K Dater reported. There is probably some performance bonus money included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad