Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Here's a good video if you're interested in an eye test for Koskinen.

Honestly, hilites aren't good to judge a goalie on because the saves that make a highlight reel means there was a breakdown of some sort and the goalie wasn't in prime position. With the exception of breakaways and two on ones obviously.

From this video I don't see too much to be concerned about. Definitely doesn't have the mobility issues that some have trumpeted. This isn't a Gustavsson situation where the guy literally moved like a giraffe on skates. He's got good quick movements, good ready stance for his frame that doesn't reveal holes through the body. Typical high glove position for Scandinavian goalies. Seems to be very active with it as well making a lot of baseball style catches.

Things that stood out to me where he will definitely need to improve is his post integration and his depth management. He rarely goes out much further than the very tip of his crease. Even with his size, I'd like to see him play a bit more aggressive. The post management will be huge as NHL players are very good at jamming the net and shooting from bad angles.

All in all, I'm interested to see what he has to offer. He already looks like an upgrade to Montoya and brossoit. I doubt he will take manynstarts away from Talbot though. And definitely don't see enough yet for him to supplant Talbot.

Then again, you don't really need to find the next Tim Thomas in order to win the cup. As this years playoffs have shown, your goalie just has to be mentally strong enough not to let in the squeakers. Every goalie in the playoffs right now has let in a touchdown in one game (maybe except for fleury, can't recall ATM). The position is much more dependant on systems and team play in front of it than in ages past. If Koskinen has that kind of mental fortitude then he can definitely make a career for himself in the NHL.

I appreciate the video. It is better, in that it is ISO, than the 7min clip I linked last week. Still though I see a lot of problems here that I'll breakdown;

1) Few times is he handling the puck clean with his glove. He's more swatting it, blocking it, or just not catching it. Really weird. He's creating rebounds out of nothing. That's bad news in the NHL.

2) 2 times in the clip does he go out of his net to handle the puck. The rest of the time its like he's trapped in the cage. Can he handle the puck much?

3) Cross ice mobility is still an issue as I see it in that video. That he's large disguises some of that but quick passes across can burn him. This was also uncharacteristic video as not one moment involved him making his desperation lunges where he's on the ice a lot. Seen that 50 times in other videos. He seemed intent on this game to play clean. Almost like a video of film of him is being shot for scouts. hmmmm.

4) So much of his play is simply deflecting the puck wide. He'll use his pads to make deflection stops on fairly easy shots and yet the puck is loose in the corner and still at large rather than a more efficient style of eating pucks and getting his team a draw. This is more important in the WC where teams will body pound you in own zone until they score. He has to learn to freeze the puck more rather than keep it in play.

5) Hardly any good shots he faced in that clip and yet he was beaten 5 hole on a shot that somebody commented was a center ice shot and gave another bad rebound and got out of position where the puck just slid outside the post. He's intense and seems to try to do a lot to prepare but I really don't think he has much other than size to work with. Certainly not seeing a talented goalie here. I'm seeing a guy that's learned to do enough to excel at a far lower rung of hockey.

6) Possibly the most important point is this film was against Moscow Dynamo. A team that didn't even make the playoffs and that isn't remotely a competitive side for SKA.

Last edited:

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
The last few years of Brossoit, Gustavsson, and Montoya were painful. It seemed that every time our back up goalie played, it was an automatic loss. That is not how winning teams function.

In the last 2 years, Talbot has 88% of the Oilers total wins. This is a problem that needed to be addressed and by all indications, Koskinen is a major improvement on what we have been deploying.

This is a good risk IMO, not only our we upgrading our back up position, but the fact that we have someone who can push Talbot and potentially result in improvements to our starting goalie and goaltending as a whole. That is worth the extra couple pennies spent to get Koskinen right there.

Reactions: PulYou

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I appreciate the video. It is better, in that it is ISO, than the 7min clip I linked last week. Still though I see a lot of problems here that I'll breakdown;

1) Few times is he handling the puck clean with his glove. He's more swatting it, blocking it, or just not catching it. Really weird. He's creating rebounds out of nothing. That's bad news in the NHL.

2) 2 times in the clip does he go out of his net to handle the puck. The rest of the time its like he's trapped in the cage. Can he handle the puck much?

3) Cross ice mobility is still an issue as I see it in that video. That he's large disguises some of that but quick passes across can burn him. This was also uncharacteristic video as not one moment involved him making his desperation lunges where he's on the ice a lot. Seen that 50 times in other videos. He seemed intent on this game to play clean. Almost like a video of film of him is being shot for scouts. hmmmm.

4) So much of his play is simply deflecting the puck wide. He'll use his pads to make deflection stops on fairly easy shots and yet the puck is loose in the corner and still at large rather than a more efficient style of eating pucks and getting his team a draw. This is more important in the WC where teams will body pound you in own zone until they score. He has to learn to freeze the puck more rather than keep it in play.

5) Hardly any good shots he faced in that clip and yet he was beaten 5 hole on a shot that somebody commented was a center ice shot and gave another bad rebound and got out of position where the puck just slid outside the post. He's intense and seems to try to do a lot to prepare but I really don't think he has much other than size to work with. Certainly not seeing a talented goalie here. I'm seeing a guy that's learned to do enough to excel at a far lower rung of hockey.

6) Possibly the most important point is this film was against Moscow Dynamo. A team that didn't even make the playoffs and that isn't remotely a competitive side for SKA.
I agree with a lot of this. He isn't an awful goalie but he relies on his size heavily to do well. A lot of his game he can get away with in the KHL fine but massively has to clean up for NHL time.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I also don't agree that back up goalie isn't an important position.

A backup goalie likely plays 25-30 games (at least good ones that allow the starter not to have to burn themselves out)... so that's say 30 games x 60 minutes =1800 minutes. That's the equivalent of an average of 22 minutes a game over a full 82 game season... same as a very good forward or top 4 dman will get.

Also, if you don't have a decent backup that's extra pressure on the starter to have to preform BIG in every game so your team has a decent shot at winning enough for a shot at the playoffs. There's very little margin for error when your backup is shit... your starter lets in a few softies and a few losses pile up and your season is over by Thanksgiving as we've obviously all seen before.

I'm not saying Koskinen is "the one" to fix the backup issue, but getting a decent backup is definitely a huge issue... not small... and I think is right up there with getting another scoring winger for McDavid and an offensive dman for the PP.

One issue "may" be addressed now... it better be... so Chia can move on to adding that sniper winger and that "mythical" offensive puck moving PP dman we all want him to acquire.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Koskinen
Neal
Green

If that was the extent of Chia's additions this offseason and the rest was just re-signings of what they have now (Strome, Caggiula, Nurse etc)... and they managed to fit that all under the $80 million cap... would most here be happy with that summer?

Reactions: PulYou

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Goalies with similar cap hits to Koskinen for next season:

Brian Elliott ($2.75M)
Anders Nilsson (2.5)
Michal Neuvirth (2.5)
Mike Condon (2.4)

Some of this summer's UFAs (2017-18 cap hit):

Kari Lehtonen ($5.9M)
Jaroslav Halak (4.5)
Cam Ward (3.3)
Jonathan Bernier (2.75)
Eddie Lack (2.75)
Chad Johnson (2.5)
Andrew Hammond (1.35)
Ondrej Pavelec (1.3)
Anton Khudobin (1.2)
Michael Hutchinson (1.15)
Carter Hutton (1.125)
are you telling me we could have had Neuvirth?!!!!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Jesus Christ. So Colorado signs a younger KHL goalie with better save percentage numbers for 750k?! How the hell do we end up paying Koskinen 2.5M. Chia needs to explain this ASAP. The off season is not off to a good start. WHAT THE f***,

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
It is downright a lie that Francous is better as in being more respected in Eurasia or having the better career so far. He had a nice season and is Czech domestic champion but he has also been signed as Varlamov's (whose former goaltending coach nowadays works for the Avalanche) hatch opener. Koskinen has also far better statistics from international tournaments including World Champions and Olympics. I doubt Koskinen would have signed into that Colorado role as with the Oilers he has the chance for number one position while eating Talbot.

Koskinen has played 77 KHL play-off games, won the league twice with save percentage that varies between 93.5-94.9 and GAA between 1.47-1.64. Francois has 18 KHL play-offs games and save percentage which varies between 92.4-94.9 and GAA between 2.15-1.9. Francois also played in a far smaller team which means lesser inner competition as the wealthiest teams in free market are allowed to buy players when there are no NHL style communist restrictions hence they end up filling their teams with good players. I guess the Traktor Tseljabinsk brand of hockey isn't as offensive as SKA's either which also benefits the goalie as well as the notion of a good team infront of him. Koskinen's back-up goaltender is an Russian olympic goaltender and fourth round pick of the Rangers. Koskinen is also 20 centimetres taller...

Colorado made the best signing in the beginning of this season when they hired the best goaltending coach in the world, Jussi Parkkila, so they can be more adventurous in their signings. No doubt it is a good gamble on Colorado's behalf but I do exactly see the connection or comparison to Koskinen who registers far more strongly on the Eurasian ice hockey pyramid.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Jesus Christ. So Colorado signs a younger KHL goalie with better save percentage numbers for 750k?! How the hell do we end up paying Koskinen 2.5M. Chia needs to explain this ASAP. The off season is not off to a good start. WHAT THE ****,

Francois is six foot nothing , teams seem to be avoiding smaller goalies nowadays .

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Cherry picking a stat and ignoring all context is just about the worst way to make a case for anything.

This is HfOil. You don't need to see players or really do any research on them to know if they are good or not. Look up plus/minus or save% and voila, you know everything about the player.

Reactions: oilers'72

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Here's a good video if you're interested in an eye test for Koskinen.

Honestly, hilites aren't good to judge a goalie on because the saves that make a highlight reel means there was a breakdown of some sort and the goalie wasn't in prime position. With the exception of breakaways and two on ones obviously.

From this video I don't see too much to be concerned about. Definitely doesn't have the mobility issues that some have trumpeted. This isn't a Gustavsson situation where the guy literally moved like a giraffe on skates. He's got good quick movements, good ready stance for his frame that doesn't reveal holes through the body. Typical high glove position for Scandinavian goalies. Seems to be very active with it as well making a lot of baseball style catches.

Things that stood out to me where he will definitely need to improve is his post integration and his depth management. He rarely goes out much further than the very tip of his crease. Even with his size, I'd like to see him play a bit more aggressive. The post management will be huge as NHL players are very good at jamming the net and shooting from bad angles.

All in all, I'm interested to see what he has to offer. He already looks like an upgrade to Montoya and brossoit. I doubt he will take manynstarts away from Talbot though. And definitely don't see enough yet for him to supplant Talbot.

Then again, you don't really need to find the next Tim Thomas in order to win the cup. As this years playoffs have shown, your goalie just has to be mentally strong enough not to let in the squeakers. Every goalie in the playoffs right now has let in a touchdown in one game (maybe except for fleury, can't recall ATM). The position is much more dependant on systems and team play in front of it than in ages past. If Koskinen has that kind of mental fortitude then he can definitely make a career for himself in the NHL.
You kinda have to have mental fortitude when you are number one goalie for SKA for 4 years. The owner has so deep pockets that if he isn't happy for someones performances they are shown the door pretty quickly. Very common in KHL. They are as far as you can from patient.

Reactions: nightfighter

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
What am I reading? Andrew Hammond for $2.5 million is fine but not Koskinen?

Koskinen isn't going to get us half price Bobby Nick's burgers by putting up a 40 save game, now is he? Intangibles are worth a lot around these parts.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
Francouz doesn't have close to the resume Koskinen does. I understand that it is difficult for north americans to know what happens here in Europe/Finland and how highly Koskinen is valued.

In 2016-2017 seven finnish goalies played in NHL. Rinne, Rask, Lehtonen, Raanta, Niemi, Saros and Korpisalo. Goalies in World Cup for Finland were Rinne, Rask and Koskinen. So people who chose the team thought that Koskinen is Finlands third best goalie (if someone was hurt or rejected invite, my bad can't remember).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It's not that Francouz is valued so much lower, it's just obvious that Francouz went for the best opportunity in the long run while Koskinen went to.. well, Edmonton.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Many posting evaluting Koskinen's talent are the same that told me all season Talbot is playing fine.

Take their opinions with, well, you know, ...........

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's called grasping at straws. There's plenty to criticize Chia and the Oilers for, yet they need to make up reasons.

It's perfectly rational to criticize this signing. Don't know why some of you are biting the heads off of people who are criticizing it for valid reasons.

Also, it's not just the HFOil hivemind that is criticized by the signing, a lot of the media is perplexed by it too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Many posting evaluting Koskinen's talent are the same that told me all season Talbot is playing fine.

Take their opinions with, well, you know, ...........

What irony. The person with the biggest agenda about any goalie we have sending a take with grain of salt message.

Lets be real. You would be behind any goalie but Talbot. They could be wearing clownshoes instead of skates and you'd be there backing them.

How about we keep comments like that out of it or they get the commensurate reply.

Speak about Koskinen, what he actually is, isn't vs some other innuendo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's perfectly rational to criticize this signing. Don't know why some of you are biting the heads off of people who are criticizing it for valid reasons.

Because its offseason? Not sure why. Given Nillson, Monster, LB, Montoya shouldn't some circumspection of the newest Chia backup goalie hire be open for business? It would be almost anywhere. It should even be expected.

Myself I tire of the "player hasn't even played a game and blah blah blah" As if we have to open book trust every one of Chia's moves just because.

As Spawn has said it best unless Koskinen ends up pushing Talbot, and is good enough to do that, this is already a fail signing at this price due to cap constraints.

2.5M is a lot to spend for an essentially untried goalie and assuming they will transfer well to the NHL. Even when they didn't before. This is awfully Nilsson reminiscent.

Reactions: McCupofOil

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Koskinen
Neal
Green

If that was the extent of Chia's additions this offseason and the rest was just re-signings of what they have now (Strome, Caggiula, Nurse etc)... and they managed to fit that all under the $80 million cap... would most here be happy with that summer?

They can't even afford one of those other guys, two is complete fantasy land.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
The Eberle for Strome trade hadn't happened and Russell was on a one year contract...you're trying to include those for some reason to distract from the actual point that you were ok will the Larsson trade last year but jumped back on the hating it wagon this year.
Ok 1 year 9 months ago, better?

And I was on the "hating it wagon" still last year, I was just willing to stomach it because Larsson was playing well was all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad