Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Man Replacement is really stuck on this PTO, so much hand wringing. Now it's becoming a babe thread ;)

There's literally no downside the player. Depth and competition at forward is really only good for this team.

Reactions: guymez and nabob

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You don't like Draisaitl chewing on Anaheim Duck feathers circa 2016 playoffs?

I think its funny as hell but few people get what it is. Better still that the photoshop was made, with respect, by a Ducks fan.

I'm not switching, but heres some nostalgia, from the same photoshoot..

I guess the picture is too small. I never noticed the Duck feathers before.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not really sure how that's relevant. Pulju is supposed to be an A list player and put up production. So I would expect him to, but given his draft position and pedigree just wanted to see it earlier.

in anycase obviously Pulju is far better than a Chiasson. How good he gets would be more the question.

It’s directly relevant to your post. Puljujarvi will
be a solid top six player and put up production. Given your lack of knowledge of the player and his lack of opportunity you would have known better than to expect it so soon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s directly relevant to your post. Puljujarvi will
be a solid top six player and put up production. Given your lack of knowledge of the player and his lack of opportunity you would have known better than to expect it so soon.
huh? Does it say Puljujarvi in the thread title? I'm honestly not understanding the latest line of interrogation.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
you know what they say about the french.....

200.gif

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Maroon scored 52 goals here in 2 seasons.

Chiasson has around that many in his entire NHL career.

More to the point Maroon had a high of 27goals.

Chiasson has a career high of 12.

Maroon is also a much more accomplished playmaker and doesn't look like a foot playing in topsix or even on topline and top PP unit. Something that can't be said for Chiasson, a career plug.

Maroon is a late bloomer, Chiasson is a no bloomer.

In last 3 seasons Maroon has clocked 60 goals. Chiasson 30. So that Maroon has exactly twice as many in recent seasons.

How can you compare Maroon playing with MCD with Chaison playing on the 3/4 line. Maroon before Edmonton was a 3rd liner and now in Jersey hes back to being a 3rd liner.
He scored 29 and 31 points before MCD and his last year with the Ducks was abysmal.

Chaison could double his production with MCD so the OP isnt far off.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How can you compare Maroon playing with MCD with Chaison playing on the 3/4 line. Maroon before Edmonton was a 3rd liner and now in Jersey hes back to being a 3rd liner.
He scored 29 and 31 points before MCD and his last year with the Ducks was abysmal.

Chaison could double his production with MCD so the OP isnt far off.

Maroon DID have 24 EV goals one season here. An absolutely remarkable stat for a journeyman player. Chiasson would NEVER put up anything close.

In fact Chiasson was not just 3/4 on the teams he played with. He rotated up and down just like Maroon did in his career and Chiasson has never had more than 8EV goals in a season.

So Maroon 24 Chiassion 8

You know that Chiasson has been used on PP's right?

Finally, as if I need to say more in the ridiculous comparison heres the career ppg stats

Maroon .478 ppg reg season elevates to an astounding .574ppg in playoffs (money player)

Chiasson .325ppg reg season and disappears in playoffs with a lol .133ppg

That you think Chiasson could replace Maroon on our topline is hilarious. Have you seen how out of place he looks in topsix?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
No, but he could be here to replace pakarinen on the 4th line/press box, that in itself is an upgrade.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Maroon DID have 24 EV goals one season here. An absolutely remarkable stat for a journeyman player. Chiasson would NEVER put up anything close.

In fact Chiasson was not just 3/4 on the teams he played with. He rotated up and down just like Maroon did in his career and Chiasson has never had more than 8EV goals in a season.

So Maroon 24 Chiassion 8

You know that Chiasson has been used on PP's right?

Finally, as if I need to say more in the ridiculous comparison heres the career ppg stats

Maroon .478 ppg reg season elevates to an astounding .574ppg in playoffs (money player)

Chiasson .325ppg reg season and disappears in playoffs with a lol .133ppg

That you think Chiasson could replace Maroon on our topline is hilarious. Have you seen how out of place he looks in topsix?

Never said he would replace Maroon. I just thought it was dumb to only compare Maroons time with MCD and not include his time with the Ducks. Also once Maroon was move to the 3rd line on the Oilers he was pretty useless unless you think taking dumb penalties were contributing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Guy is a depth player with size, is in his prime years physically, is known by one of our assistant coaches and should be a cheap AAV if we sign him. Nothing to dislike here IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Never said he would replace Maroon. I just thought it was dumb to only compare Maroons time with MCD and not include his time with the Ducks. Also once Maroon was move to the 3rd line on the Oilers he was pretty useless unless you think taking dumb penalties were contributing.

I sure don't agree Maroon was useless on third. When there he was our best player bottomsix. You don't like him for whatever reason I guess because you sure undervalue his contribution to team. Nor did you respond to any of my rebuttal. But you don't expand on your position while referring to my comment on the topic as "dumb". At least I'm substantiating my position and you are not.

In anycase I fairly hate almost any former Flames players. You could spray hose Chiasson and I'd still be smelling the Flames stench dripping from him. Bugger even looks like a Flamer.

Why is it that half the Flames look like the bastard step children of a cross between Theo Fleury, Tim Hunter or Mike Vernon. They all have that sorry ass Flames kind of look on their face.

I mean the last part humorously.

cheers

Last edited:

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I sure don't agree Maroon was useless on third. When there he was our best player bottomsix. You don't like him for whatever reason I guess because you sure undervalue his contribution to team. Nor did you respond to any of my rebuttal. But you don't expand on your position while referring to my comment on the topic as "dumb". At least I'm substantiating my position and you are not.

In anycase I fairly hate almost any former Flames players. You could spray hose Chiasson and I'd still be smelling the Flames stench dripping from him. Bugger even looks like a Flamer.

Why is it that half the Flames look like the bastard step children of a cross between Theo Fleury, Tim Hunter or Mike Vernon. They all have that sorry ass Flames kind of look on their face.

I mean the last part humorously.

cheers
I dont have a hate on for Maroon I just thought he was way overrated and was gifted prime minutes with MCD. I'm sorry to see him go. More so than Eberle.

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Loved Maroon, and hated to see him go. I'd take him back at his current caphit (and then some) in a second.

I do get why some hope that Chiasson could do a career turn-around as Maroon did here. Stats prior similar, age similar, that is it. This is comparing pre-Oilers stats, right now I'd obviously rather have Maroon and have no problem paying a lot more for him.

I don't really get at all why hoping this will/could happen is a controversial opinion being debated here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Loved Maroon, and hated to see him go. I'd take him back at his current caphit (and then some) in a second.

I do get why some hope that Chiasson could do a career turn-around as Maroon did here. Stats prior similar, age similar, that is it. This is comparing pre-Oilers stats, right now I'd have Maroon sndpay a lot more for him.

I don't really get at all why hoping this will/could happen is a controversial opinion being debated here.

Do I really have to say what Hope means around here?

It stands for;

Hall
Omark
Paajarvii
Eberle

sigh

I'm also traumatized when the word comes up, being an Oilers fan...

OK, I'm kind of jk with that part.

But for decades to be setup with hope and have it shit all over you just don't want that particular term tossed around all day or hyperbole re: this player or that. That's my beef though and just say I'm a burned out fan. Or a realist. I'll shut the door on my way out.;)

Reactions: LaGu

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Do I really have to say what Hope means around here?

It stands for;

Hall
Omark
Paajarvii
Eberle

sigh

I'm also traumatized when the word comes up, being an Oilers fan...

OK, I'm kind of jk with that part.

But for decades to be setup with hope and have it **** all over you just don't want that particular term tossed around all day or hyperbole re: this player or that. That's my beef though and just say I'm a burned out fan. Or a realist. I'll shut the door on my way out.;)
I don't even think hoping was the right word to use there, speculating would probably have been a better choice of word.

Anyhow, irrelevant imo because Chiasson won't see 1st line action, or 2nd line action for that matter.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't even think hoping was the right word to use there, speculating would probably have been a better choice of word.

Anyhow, irrelevant imo because Chiasson won't see 1st line action, or 2nd line action for that matter.
Yes because Rattie and Reider are so much better than Chaisson :/

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Yes because Rattie and Reider are so much better than Chaisson :/

Rieder definitely is. Rattie can be, I think he has more upside to him.

I don’t mind Chiasson, a decent depth player that can fill in. This Maroon comparison is ridiculous, don’t know why it is even being discussed.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Rieder definitely is. Rattie can be, I think he has more upside to him.

I don’t mind Chiasson, a decent depth player that can fill in. This Maroon comparison is ridiculous, don’t know why it is even being discussed.
That would be your opinion. Chaisson was as good as Toby last year. Both are good for 15G 35pt max.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Absolutely Rieder is a better player than Chiasson. In what way isn't he?
Chaisson played a more limited role on a stacked team while Toby played on a minnow. Both produced almost same number of points playing almost same number of games. Toby was total garbage after getting traded to LA scoring 6pts in 20games.
Chaisson is a right shot with a big body and is just entering his prime years. He is not a Maroon comparable so wxpecting anything more than 15 goals from him would be unrealistic.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Something people have to keep in mind with Chiasson is that he is a much more versatile player than Maroon so goal scoring is just a part of what he can bring. Probably a better skater as well.
Less offence but more versatility for less money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad