Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wonder how he would perform RW McDavid line? Seems to skate ok and scores a reasonable amount on the 4th and 3rd lines. Maybe our new Maroon.

Maroon scored 52 goals here in 2 seasons.

Chiasson has around that many in his entire NHL career.

More to the point Maroon had a high of 27goals.

Chiasson has a career high of 12.

Maroon is also a much more accomplished playmaker and doesn't look like a foot playing in topsix or even on topline and top PP unit. Something that can't be said for Chiasson, a career plug.

Maroon is a late bloomer, Chiasson is a no bloomer.

In last 3 seasons Maroon has clocked 60 goals. Chiasson 30. So that Maroon has exactly twice as many in recent seasons.

Last edited:

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018

Maroon is also a much more accomplished playmaker and doesn't look like a foot playing in topsix or even on topline and top PP unit. Something that can't be said for Chiasson, a career plug.

In last 3 seasons Maroon has clocked 60 goals. Chiasson 30. So that Maroon has exactly twice as many in recent seasons.

You do realize Maroon only scored 26 goals in his whole career before coming to Edmonton? He had a career high of 11 goals. I dought he even reaches his recent numbers if he never got traded to Edmonton. Not saying Chiasson will score a bunch of goals. But you never know when your playing with someone like McDavid. Sometimes it just clicks.

It's unlikely Chiasson can repeat Maroon's numbers but I wouldn't count him out 100% yet. Nobody could have seen Maroon scoring 27 goals. Atleast give him a chance.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Is there really added competition for the wings when you can't afford to actually sign any of the PTO's?

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
C

Chiassons stats are similar if not better than Maroon before he came to Edmonton.

Reactions: nabob

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Love this PTO. Guaranteed Upshall and Chiasson make the team. Bye bye to Cagguila or Kassian

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You do realize Maroon only scored 26 goals in his whole career before coming to Edmonton? He had a career high of 11 goals. I dought he even reaches his recent numbers if he never got traded to Edmonton. Not saying Chiasson will score a bunch of goals. But you never know when your playing with someone like McDavid. Sometimes it just clicks.

It's unlikely Chiasson can repeat Maroon's numbers but I wouldn't count him out 100% yet. Nobody could have seen Maroon scoring 27 goals. Atleast give him a chance.
Two differences. One Chiasson has already played on 4 teams in 5 years. When Maroon was dealt he took it as a wake up call. Chiasson by all accounts has been through PTO before and it hasn't really fully clicked for him.

Maroon also never took care of himself until he got here. Not sure if Chiasson has that hurdle or not.

I'm pulling for Chiasson, but i think he is what he is at this point in his career. 4th liner, that can PK and chip in with double digit goals. Nothing wrong with that

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Is there really added competition for the wings when you can't afford to actually sign any of the PTO's?
players on PTO wont cost much. Chaisson got 660K last year. Oilers would actually save money by starting Yamamoto, Puljujarvi or Khaira in the AHL and playing Chaisson on the roster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

What didn't you understand in my post about Maroon being a late bloomer or scoring twice as many goals as Chiasson in the last 3 seasons?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
C

Chiassons stats are similar if not better than Maroon before he came to Edmonton.

and how is that even relevant considering what I stated and where the players are, respectively, today.

With Maroon now you can expect a 20 goal season. This has NEVER occurred with Chiasson, ANYWHERE.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Really guys? I was saying Maroon would knock it out of the ballpark the moment he came here because when he was playing with Getzlaf and Perry he regularly showed he could play the puck and support offense. Especially in playoffs he was showing that.

If one can't distinguish the disparity in skill level of Maroon vs Chiasson and what they bring CURRENTLY in terms of production then theres no reason for me to point it out further.

Even in Jersey Maroon looked better than Chiasson has ever looked.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No you can’t. Maroon has only scored at that level playing with one guy. After being traded to Jersey he had 4 goals in the next 22 games.

On a new team. Plus that being a higher rate of scoring than Chiasson has ever put up in his entire NHL career.

That equates by the way to a 15-16G scoring pace. Better than any winger we had last season. Certainly better than a Chiasson.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Really guys? I was saying Maroon would knock it out of the ballpark the moment he came here because when he was playing with Getzlaf and Perry he regularly showed he could play the puck and support offense. Especially in playoffs he was showing that.

If one can't distinguish the disparity in skill level of Maroon vs Chiasson and what they bring CURRENTLY in terms of production then theres no reason for me to point it out further.

Even in Jersey Maroon looked better than Chiasson has ever looked.

That's funny; I thought you didn't join until a year ago...

It's almost like you were posting here under a different name ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's funny; I thought you didn't join until a year ago...

It's almost like you were posting here under a different name ;)

1)This is the afterworld

or

2)Believe in reincarnation

This here is new improved game..;)

But I still can't abide Chiasson. He has all that Flames stench on him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What didn't you understand in my post about Maroon being a late bloomer or scoring twice as many goals as Chiasson in the last 3 seasons?

So only you get to decide who is a late bloomer?

What didn’t you understand about him talking about the period of time before each player came to Edmonton.

Your ignorance is outstanding.

Reactions: CornKicker

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So only you get to decide who is a late bloomer?

What didn’t you understand about him talking about the period of time before each player came to Edmonton.

Your ignorance is outstanding.

Current player evaluation has nothing to do with what a player was doing 5 years ago. You realize some players improve and others don't, right?

I just didn't follow how the early careers of the respective players is relevant. Chiasson is 28yrs old in a couple weeks. If his game was going to morph dramatically into something better that would have already occurred. unfortunately with him being an ex flame I've watched him plenty in boa. Can't say I felt much about his game.

Of course I don't get to decide who is a late bloomer. But I can see where there is strong potential for it and I was betting that Maroon was going to knock it out of the ballpark, and fwiw I was right.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
On a new team. Plus that being a higher rate of scoring than Chiasson has ever put up in his entire NHL career.

That equates by the way to a 15-16G scoring pace. Better than any winger we had last season. Certainly better than a Chiasson.
What was Puljujarvi’s scoring pace last season...

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Current player evaluation has nothing to do with what a player was doing 5 years ago. You realize some players improve and others don't, right?

I just didn't follow how the early careers of the respective players is relevant. Chiasson is 28yrs old in a couple weeks. If his game was going to morph dramatically into something better that would have already occurred. unfortunately with him being an ex flame I've watched him plenty in boa. Can't say I felt much about his game.

Maybe he’s a late bloomer? He did score at almost the same pace as Maroon did after Maroon left Edmonton.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What was Puljujarvi’s scoring pace last season...

Not really sure how that's relevant. Pulju is supposed to be an A list player and put up production. So I would expect him to, but given his draft position and pedigree just wanted to see it earlier.

in anycase obviously Pulju is far better than a Chiasson. How good he gets would be more the question.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wish you’d bring back your old avatar.

You don't like Draisaitl chewing on Anaheim Duck feathers circa 2016 playoffs?

I think its funny as hell but few people get what it is. Better still that the photoshop was made, with respect, by a Ducks fan.

I'm not switching, but heres some nostalgia, from the same photoshoot..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad