Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Some players come into the league and just drift aimlessly around, never seeming to find a fit, until one day, it happens and they carve out a pretty nice portion of their career. I can see Chiasson being a player like that. Being drafted as high as he was obviously speaks to having some talent, but maybe he just never got a chance to be put in a position to shine, or took things for granted until later in the career. At any rate, no matter what happens to him after this year, this is the time of his life, and we are lucky to be getting that part of it.

I think there is some truth to this and I also think that some players need exposure from certain players / teams to help them mature as a player and really focus in on their strengths.
It certainly appears like last seasons Stanley Cup experience with the Capitals and his close friendship with Ovechkin may have been that catalyst for Chiasson. He certainly does mention that a lot in interviews as well.

The key will be signing him moving forward...term and AAV. Its going to be very interesting and I am very glad the Oilers are in this situation.

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
We are in the territory where it's no longer a hot streak and he can be counted on for some production. He could very well be a 35-45 point middle six NHLer at this stage in his career.

Do the Oilers re-sign him for next season?If he is a 40 point guy and a good fit for the Oilers, what kind of contract are we going to offer him?

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Do the Oilers re-sign him for next season?If he is a 40 point guy and a good fit for the Oilers, what kind of contract are we going to offer him?

If he’s smart he goes and has a chat with Maroon. As is the case with Maroon, with what 1 goal this year, he probably missed his chance at any hope of a contract with any term/decent money by not staying in Edmonton. Rumor was they offered somewhere in the range for 3-3.5X3 and he wanted to try to cash in on the open market, and as everyone knows he ended up firing his agent and will probably get at most a similar deal to this season next year if he’s lucky.

Reactions: Boom not bust

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Chiasson was drafted 38the not a high draft as others stated.

What happens if he scores 30 plus goals and more in the playoffs? Much more expensive.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We are in the territory where it's no longer a hot streak and he can be counted on for some production. He could very well be a 35-45 point middle six NHLer at this stage in his career.

It is absolutely a hot streak lol. Hot streaks dont have to be over after 20 games, so last 60 games or longer. They almost always crash

People like 35-45 points is standard/average production. 35 points would match his career high. He was a career 26 point player prior to this year. If he was able to put up anything over 35 points in any season after this , hed be a magic unicorn

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It is absolutely a hot streak lol. Hot streaks dont have to be over after 20 games, so last 60 games or longer. They almost always crash

People like 35-45 points is standard/average production. 35 points would match his career high. He was a career 26 point player prior to this year. If he was able to put up anything over 35 points in any season after this , hed be a magic unicorn

This assumes that he is the same player he always has been. From his interviews its clear that last season playing with the SC champs and more specifically getting close to Ovechkin has greatly influenced his game.

Meaning that he made adjustments that allow him to better utlize his strengths.

Doesnt sound unreasonable to me.

So I would look at this from a different perspective. Its not so much if / when Chaisson regresses back to what he always has been...if what he says is relevant then its more about how far this will extend.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I would be very hesitant. Next thing we know we have PTO version of him on the oilers payroll for 4 mill for three years.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I'd be happy with 3x3.

Even if he's scoring drops (which it will) he's still useful.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Huge Glen Gulutsan intel signing here, he’s earned his keep based on this signing alone, especially if we can resign to a 3x contract after the playoffs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Chiasson's hot streak doesn't have to last for him to be effective.

Guy was brought in to this club to be an energy guy. If he's out there using his body opening up space for others, he's doing his job.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Funny how things work out sometimes, the guy is a healthy scratch for the first five games then gets a chance and makes the most of it. A lot of guys have been given the opportunity to play with McDavid and for whatever reason they just can't gel with him.

He's been a great addition and a nice surprise so far. If the Oilers make the playoffs he will also be valuable to have with the experience he had winning the cup last season. You can never have enough of those guys around who have been through the trenches of a Stanley Cup Championship.

Reactions: TB12

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Funny how things work out sometimes, the guy is a healthy scratch for the first five games then gets a chance and makes the most of it. A lot of guys have been given the opportunity to play with McDavid and for whatever reason they just can't gel with him.

He's been a great addition and a nice surprise so far. If the Oilers make the playoffs he will also be valuable to have with the experience he had winning the cup last season. You can never have enough of those guys around who have been through the trenches of a Stanley Cup Championship.
As I mentioned, he wasn't even really playing all that much early on. He just found a way to be effective though.

I know Rishaug complained about Rattie not getting a fair shake, but considering he was getting time on the top line before what did he really do?

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
As I mentioned, he wasn't even really playing all that much early on. He just found a way to be effective though.

I know Rishaug complained about Rattie not getting a fair shake, but considering he was getting time on the top line before what did he really do?

If only Rattie could have done what he did in pre season, the spot was his to lose. I like that they have a guy with some size with Mcdavid too. I know Chiasson isn't a scrapper but in an after whistle scrum it's nice to have a bigger guy in there to help out.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If only Rattie could have done what he did in pre season, the spot was his to lose. I like that they have a guy with some size with Mcdavid too. I know Chiasson isn't a scrapper but in an after whistle scrum it's nice to have a bigger guy in there to help out.
I think this underlies how Smart of a player Chiasson seems to be on the ice. He does lack some skill and speed, but he thinks the game very well and it's what seems to have allowed him to be successful on the wing with 2 superstars.

Reactions: elmeroil

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018

https://www.tsn.ca/report-chiasson-wants-to-re-sign-with-oilers-1.1252543

He's made it clear he wants to stay, despite all the crap he went through this season with this team, after winning a stanley cup the previous season. I think he wants to be a big part of the 'solution' and would take so much more pride in a cup win here, than anywhere else.

But, this was said yesterday morning. Post-game, he told TSN 1260 that he has never seen anything like this before in his career (fans booing hard in the last 3 minutes and throwing jerseys on the ice).
I wonder if last night has change his desire in any way. I hope not. It's rare the players want to stay in Edmonton, when they're UFAs, so if he wants to stay, I say sign him

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anything more then 2 years or close to a 2M cap hit is risky IMO. I think a 2 year deal worth around $1.5M per would make sense for both sides.

Reactions: TheBasementDweller

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
1 goal and 5pts in 2019.. minus 5 the last 2 games.. been getting top 6 minutes and PP time..

Might be time to move him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad