Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Chiasson still has some game...a PTO is an excellent idea for this player. With the cap situation the way it is PTO's are really the only option left for the team until there is some player movement.

Way too many PTO's IMO for there not to be something brewing on the trade front.

There's got to be. I can't remember where I heard it last week, but a former player was on the radio/podcast and said that there's a bit of a code among the players when signing PTOs and that generally veterans don't sign one with a team that already signed a vet to a PTO.
I feel like one or both have been assured a contract pending a trade and needed the commitment from the player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There's got to be. I can't remember where I heard it last week, but a former player was on the radio/podcast and said that there's a bit of a code among the players when signing PTOs and that generally veterans don't sign one with a team that already signed a vet to a PTO.
I feel like one or both have been assured a contract pending a trade and needed the commitment from the player.

Its funny biut I was wondering the same thing. A PTO is a risk for a player so for there to be no verbal agreements in a lot of cases doesnt seem likely.

Honestly I really like the Upshall and Chiasson PTO's a lot. This is very smart and savvy approach IMO.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I really like this PTO. Young enough to be a serviceable guy for a handful of years.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I don't mind PTO's (no harm and as almost everyone agrees... it creates more competition in camp to help keep everyone honest and working their butts off)... but Chaisson is ranked 379th in RelT GF% out of the top 420 forwards with the most ES ice time over the past 7 seasons. That's with lower than average QoC and positive zone starts as well.

He's essentially a #14F at best and I'd prefer to have players on PTO that could fit among the top 12F... not just a #13/14 option... but again no real harm in adding him.

He's still better than Caggiula so anyone coming in with a chance to displace him from the roster is a positive... but knowing the Oilers they will keep Caggiula and displace someone better than him.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Got to no problem with him getting a PTO, but not a big fan of the player, he's struck me as being mentally weak in the past and while he does have some skill and play with some edge at times, I often find the penalties he takes to be of the stupid variety that coaches hate. I guess the comparison would be a less experienced and defensively worse Benoit Pouliot, who has a history of not being a factor in the big games. Our winger depth and quality is terrible so I'm sure we can still use him and he's not so old that he can't re-invent his game to an extent.

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
A lot of people seem to think this player is physical. He’s not. He’s not gritty either it’s a reason he hasn’t been successful in the NHL despite his size and skill. He’s a soft perimeter player with size and skill. I doubt he makes it but it’s good to push the young right wingers so I like the invite.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Chiasson vs Upshall for that 14th F spot I guess. Although I could also be a little insurance in case a guy like Rattie or Aberg just doesn't look like they belong on an NHL roster once camp gets going.

I'm guessing rattie is a lock to make the team. Too much love for his shirt stint last year.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Got to no problem with him getting a PTO, but not a big fan of the player, he's struck me as being mentally weak in the past and while he does have some skill and play with some edge at times, I often find the penalties he takes to be of the stupid variety that coaches hate. I guess the comparison would be a less experienced and defensively worse Benoit Pouliot, who has a history of not being a factor in the big games. Our winger depth and quality is terrible so I'm sure we can still use him and he's not so old that he can't re-invent his game to an extent.

I agree... I'd rather have Pouliot on a PTO... he's a yoyo up and down player so he's likely due for a decent season again now that he's worn out his welcome with yet another team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Chiasson still has some game...a PTO is an excellent idea for this player. With the cap situation the way it is PTO's are really the only option left for the team until there is some player movement.

Way too many PTO's IMO for there not to be something brewing on the trade front.

if you want to believe the wannabes on twitter--either Kassian or Cags will be moved before the season starts

I don't believe

my perspective is that unlike previous rookies--Yamamoto wont be on this team when they land in Cologne

Adberg and Rattie are two huge wild cards and I can see both starting the season in Bakersfield

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
if you want to believe the wannabes on twitter--either Kassian or Cags will be moved before the season starts

I don't believe

my perspective is that unlike previous rookies--Yamamoto wont be on this team when they land in Cologne

Adberg and Rattie are two huge wild cards and I can see both starting the season in Bakersfield

It sure adds a little spice to the next few weeks. I dont know what it going to happen but I dont think that Kassian or Cagiulla being traded is that remote. It surely could happen.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’m good with this as noted by others, competition is always a good thing and puts our bottom 6 on notice.

The play from our middle and lower lines was putrid last year. If you can’t get it done, your ass should be gone.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
As long time fans of this team, we should be celebrating anything that pushes young kids down the depth chart. That includes PTO’s. Nobody should know better than us by now that having teenagers in the lineup isn’t a recipe for success. Even worse than that is it burns off entry level contacts faster than they need to be.

Reactions: guymez

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
can the oilers sign a player they bought out while money is still on their cap for that move?
:) I doubt there's a rule against it... if a team wants to spend the money and the player wants to sign the contract... then why not. I doubt the NHLPA would have any problem with it.

I don't actually see the Oilers wanting to bring him back... but I'm just saying I highly doubt that the Oilers will have 12 better forwards than Pouliot on this team when the season starts which is why in theory he would be a good PTO addition.

Still not sure if it's allowed under the CBA rules but the following conversation seems to refer to there being a 1 year wait between buying out a player and then re-signing them to a new contract:

BUT... I just looked it up on capfriendly.com and it says this:

"For one season following a compliance buyout, players were not permitted to rejoin the team which performed the buyout (this restriction does not exist for normal buyouts)."

Buyout FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So, it doesn't appear that there is any time restriction on teams re-signing a player after they buy him out in the case of regular buyouts.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad