Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Alex Chiasson to PTO

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I am drawing a blank.

He is referring to Keegan Lowe. When he was drafted he told the Oilers he did not want to go to them but eventually joined our organization when he realized he wasn't going to make the NHL without a little nepotism.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He is referring to Keegan Lowe. When he was drafted he told the Oilers he did not want to go to them but eventually joined our organization when he realized he wasn't going to make the NHL without a little nepotism.

Really...I find it difficult to believe a player would actually say that.
Is there a link that supports this or is this just supposition?

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
I believe that all these PTOs are to allow the regulars to rest more during pre-season because of the Europe start. But hey, we could be surprised and one or more gets a contract.

15.4 Exhibition Games.
(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either:
(1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season,
(2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season,
(3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or
(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.​

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Really...I find it difficult to believe a player would actually say that.
Is there a link that supports this or is this just supposition?
Sorry, I can’t post links but if you google “Keegan Lowe asks Oilers not to draft him” you’ll find a Sportsnet article and it’s mentioned in that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sorry, I can’t post links but if you google “Keegan Lowe asks Oilers not to draft him” you’ll find a Sportsnet article and it’s mentioned in that.

That part rings true to me. Its the nepotism part that sounded far fetched.
Its just supposition which is fine. Happens all the time on here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Supposition? Haha

There's a direct quote from Keegan Lowe saying he didn't want to be drafted by the Oilers.

Thats correct.
That just happens to be the only thing thats correct in terms of what some posters are suggesting.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
That part rings true to me. Its the nepotism part that sounded far fetched.
Its just supposition which is fine. Happens all the time on here.

What's far fetched?

Carolina dumped him, and then Montreal failed to give him a qualifying offer.

Keegan Lowe would probably be in Europe right now if the Oilers hadn't stepped in to give him an NHL contract.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What's far fetched?

Keegan Lowe would probably be in Europe right now if the Oilers hadn't stepped in to give him an NHL contract.

Maybe...maybe not. He is an AHL player...he could do that pretty much anywhere.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
What's far fetched?

The guys a good AHL'er, it's not like he doesn't belong in the league. I don't see people going after Ryan Stanton for having a contract here, or Dillon Simpson getting a signed with Columbus. How long did Taylor Chorney bounce around the AHL? There's tons of examples of this tier of player being signed by mulitple NHL clubs.

This is an issue of people having a problem with the name on the jersey vs. the organisation gifting a spot to an undeserving player.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Regarding Chiasson, I like it. As said by everyone here, competition is good; but I also like the idea of an Upshall-Brodziak-Chiasson line eating heavy matchups.

This also let's you condense the rest of the roster, so you only have the best from TC making it. It also gives you some breathing room if/when injuries hit.

RNH-McDavid-_____
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-_____-Kassian
Upshall-Brodziak-Chiasson

Strome(#1RW) and Khaira(#3C) fill those last two holes, but you can move a few wingers around.

Plus if one of Rattie, Aberg, Yamamoto, or Caggiula shows well, then you can shift Khaira down and move one of Chiasson or Upshall to the PB easy enough.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Regarding Chiasson, I like it. As said by everyone here, competition is good; but I also like the idea of an Upshall-Brodziak-Chiasson line eating heavy matchups.

This also let's you condense the rest of the roster, so you only have the best from TC making it. It also gives you some breathing room if/when injuries hit.

RNH-McDavid-_____
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-_____-Kassian
Upshall-Brodziak-Chiasson

Strome(#1RW) and Khaira(#3C) fill those last two holes, but you can move a few wingers around.

Plus if one of Rattie, Aberg, Yamamoto, or Caggiula shows well, then you can shift Khaira down and move one of Chiasson or Upshall to the PB easy enough.

As much as Lucic-Khaira-Kassian would intrigue me, however I don't think Lucic is much use on a line without a driver. But yeah, that can easilyebe modified and I like everything else.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
As much as Lucic-Khaira-Kassian would intrigue me, however I don't think Lucic is much use on a line without a driver. But yeah, that can easilyebe modified and I like everything else.

Not saying he's the answer, but Kassian can be decent at distributing the puck.

Since the end of last season, I've liked the idea of Kassian and Lucic together, Khaira rounds out that line better than most imo.

People may not think he's ready the third line role; but at the same time find me a better way to break in a new centre than having McDavid and Draisaitl above him on the depth chart and Brodziak backing him up? Not to mention two experienced wingers.

It's similar to Lander having RNH, Roy, and Gordon proping him up.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's far fetched?

And he ended up being one of Bakersfield's best defensemen last season.

What's the problem?

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lots of competition on the wings this training camp

Is there?

How about QUALITY competition?

Anything we are airlifting in seems to be bottomsix oriented, or even bottom line, on a club that can't even put together a topsix lineup when healthy.

Chaisson, Upshall, are nothing additions. Chaisson because he never was anything much. Upshall because he's old as dirt in hockey terms.

The main purpose of competition would be to ice a stronger winger complement this season.

Going in is this winger depth appreciably stronger?

We seem to be in the exact same situation, yet another year, of just hoping one of our current wingers like Lucic or Pulju make improvements. The added wingers really add nothing.

Rattie and Aberg were probably more significant winger additions. Because in their better days they actually are players that could even conceivably fill in our topsix winger woes.

Maroon on his own was more value than the sum of any of the wingers we brought in this offseason combined. That says everything right there.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Wonder how he would perform RW McDavid line? Seems to skate ok and scores a reasonable amount on the 4th and 3rd lines. Maybe our new Maroon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad